FIIO Q15 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #76 of 783
FiiO Q15 AKM have UAC 1.0 for gaming consoles like ps5 and nintendo switch?
Thanks god nor have thx amp is the worst most sterile sounding amp in the world...op amp and class A is the only way to go.....possible class A is the real deal....THX amp i hate the sound dry sterile real crap in the audiophile world please stop makeing it....make class A instead
Is the amplification of the Q15 basic? I don’t know about the topology much, putting aside power output I understand there is nothing unique about it?

Nov 24, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #78 of 783
No one really uses coaxial. I think optical would have been the better option imho
The only people using optical want to use this with a gaming console. The use case for this device with a streamer is extremely niche considering no one has a streamer and no other existing peripherals.

Nov 24, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #79 of 783
Yes,
Because Q15 is smaller in size, the design concept conflicts with the high heat and large size of THX module, so we don't use THX on top of Q15 anymore.
So these opamps are preferable to the THX set up in the BTR7?

Nov 24, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #80 of 783
I can't really comment on how it sounds until I hear it, the dac is great but I'm concerned it won't have the oomph and weight to drive my hd800s dynamically - it looks like a standard opamp based amp. For the $ price I think it should - can get class A amplification daps now from Hiby for that price (with sabre dac though)..

@FiiO can I use your linear power supply for this (pa50)? I have it already would be nice if it plays as a kit
It's 399... go buy the Class A portable from Astell & Kern if that's what you want. You'll have a class A amp with a flagship AKM chip for about 1,000USD.

Nov 24, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #81 of 783
It's 399... go buy the Class A portable from Astell & Kern if that's what you want. You'll have a class A amp with a flagship AKM chip for about 1,000USD.

I don't want a DAP and I'm not all about class A - just want to see some innovation in the amplification stage. Anyway, I'm sure it'll sound better than my RME ADI 2 Fs headphone out - which sounds like trash; lean, bright and unmusical.

Nov 24, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #82 of 783
Just received mine, so far so good.
I managed to trigger the Desktop Mode with my standard USB PD adapter and even a powerbank.

Pretty satisfied with the driving power, handled my HD800S and even Hifiman HE6SE V2 without a hitch even in Super Gain. With Ultra Gain in Desktop Mode, it's quite a bit more dynamic in my ears.

1700807292726.jpeg

Nov 24, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #83 of 783
Just received mine, so far so good.
I managed to trigger the Desktop Mode with my standard USB PD adapter and even a powerbank.

Pretty satisfied with the driving power, handled my HD800S and even Hifiman HE6SE V2 without a hitch even in Super Gain. With Ultra Gain in Desktop Mode, it's quite a bit more dynamic in my ears.

Does it work only with PD chargers? I have ifi iPower X 5v which is not PD (but is over 3A), i wonder if I can use that

Nov 24, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #84 of 783
I don't want a DAP and I'm not all about class A - just want to see some innovation in the amplification stage. Anyway, I'm sure it'll sound better than my RME ADI 2 Fs headphone out - which sounds like trash; lean, bright and unmusical.
It's not a dap. It's unwieldy to use 2 side by sides, but yes it's a portable class A amp. I also have an RME and use an SA-1 or Piety over the built in...

Like all things, especially class A, you have to incur a cost penalty. Not sure looking at portables is a replacement for the RME for desktop solutions.

Edit: link for augmenting whatever dac
https://www.moon-audio.com/ultrason...kCtTltD2HroFSTFiPpELhG81gGMOxa2BoC1qgQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #85 of 783
Does it work only with PD chargers? I have ifi iPower X 5v which is not PD (but is over 3A), i wonder if I can use that
The manual states PD or QC3.0 charger. I didn't attempt with other chargers, but it can only take in USB C. I doubt your ifi Power X can be used.

Nov 24, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #88 of 783
The manual states PD or QC3.0 charger. I didn't attempt with other chargers, but it can only take in USB C. I doubt your ifi Power X can be used.
Yes, you are right
Q15 Support PD quickcharging and QC3.0 quick charging handshake protocol,
it will automatically recognize to 5V gear or 9V gear.
It is not recommended to use an adapter without PD and QC3.0 protocols and with fixed output over 9V for long time use.

Can directly use the adapter with stable output at 9V for long time use.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 25, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #90 of 783
I wish I could compare it with mub1.
Well, I do have them both... I find them pretty similar for IEM usage. With more difficult loads like a headphone (e.g. Edition XS), I personally find the MUB1 to be leaning towards slightly more forward midbass. Q15 is somewhat more neutral sounding, and maybe slightly better in resolution.

I think MUB1 smaller form factor would be a better daily driver for me, but for a more critical listening, Q15 has an edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back