FIIO Q15 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #721 of 761
After a month in December FiiO released the first firmware update (1.66) and after another month in January the second update (1.82). Now almost three months have passed without any other updates and I hope that the release of a "definitive" update is close or that at least resolves the most known and encountered problems. The one relating to having to activate MQA (I don't even remember why to do it) and the one relating to the lowering of the volume after changing the source between Bluetooth and USB so you have to play around a bit by activating and deactivating the PEQ (which I'm not even interested in) . Having said this, I ask you if by carrying out a factory reset of the Q15 you will lose the firmware updates made and should you proceed to do them again or keep them. Thank you.

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #722 of 761
After a month in December FiiO released the first firmware update (1.66) and after another month in January the second update (1.82). Now almost three months have passed without any other updates and I hope that the release of a "definitive" update is close or that at least resolves the most known and encountered problems. The one relating to having to activate MQA (I don't even remember why to do it) and the one relating to the lowering of the volume after changing the source between Bluetooth and USB so you have to play around a bit by activating and deactivating the PEQ (which I'm not even interested in) . Having said this, I ask you if by carrying out a factory reset of the Q15 you will lose the firmware updates made and should you proceed to do them again or keep them. Thank you.
You will not lose the updates (I have the experience)

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #724 of 761
Well, let's all try to make a list of the various problems encountered as a reminder for FiiO which can take them into account and verify their resolution in the run-up to the release (hopefully) of the new firmware.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #725 of 761
I have heard of some good deals lately abroad on the Q15 but my searches in the US are not bringing up anything special. Do you guys know of anything? Or any coupon codes ?
I know it was available lately for 300 Euros to European folks... If I could get it for 300 US I would do that in a New York minute.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #726 of 761
I have heard of some good deals lately abroad on the Q15 but my searches in the US are not bringing up anything special. Do you guys know of anything? Or any coupon codes ?
I know it was available lately for 300 Euros to European folks... If I could get it for 300 US I would do that in a New York minute.
Haven't seen it for 300€, it is 399€

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #727 of 761
The one with MQA on is the correct level.

The reason it's quiter with MQA off is because PEQ is engaged (and has some default negative preamp value). Try to click on "Bypass" option. If it does not increase volume, select some other profile and then select "Bypass" again.
When you turn on MQA it disables PEQ, so it's always "Bypass"ed.

There is a bug where PEQ seems to turn on by itself when e.g. you change from BT to USB input, even if "Bypass" PEQ option is selected.

I went to read why it was necessary to activate the MQA and it was to forcibly disable the PEQ and return to a higher volume when switching from bluetooth to usb and automatically activate the PEQ which lowers the volume.

Apr 25, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #728 of 761
Just got my Q15, and want to install the latest firmware, but I can't find the Q15 in either the USB DAC driver or in the update tool.
I've tried both cable, phone and desktop mode, switched PEQ off and set it to UAC2.0. Run the tool as admin, tried all USB ports in the PC , rebooted bot PC and Q15 countless times. Nothing.

The PC and Tidal finds the device and I can play to it via Tidal.

Any ideas to what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: Solved. I apparently found an older driver version online, which was the issue. Latest driver installed an now it works.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #729 of 761
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you should first install the drivers in Windows and have the Q15 recognized and only then proceed to update the firmware via the tool.

Apr 25, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #730 of 761
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you should first install the drivers in Windows and have the Q15 recognized and only then proceed to update the firmware via the tool.
Thank you, but I already installed the driver and windows has recognized the Q15, no problems there. I can listen to it via Tidal on the PC.

Apr 25, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #731 of 761
Thank you, but I already installed the driver and windows has recognized the Q15, no problems there. I can listen to it via Tidal on the PC.
I imagine you have read and followed step by step what is written in the attached guide in word format... right?

Apr 25, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #732 of 761
I imagine you have read and followed step by step what is written in the attached guide in word format... right?
Multiple times.

Apr 25, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #733 of 761
But when you go into the audio settings it recognizes it as Q15?

Apr 25, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #734 of 761
But when you go into the audio settings it recognizes it as Q15?
No, and that was the lead to my issue: The driver I had found and installed was apparently an older version. I found and installed the latest version, and now it works.
Thanks for the help 👍

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #735 of 761
Happy to be able to help... when you launch the tool could you tell me what firmware is installed before the update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back