FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Nov 21, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #2,146 of 2,501
Just downloaded the latest amazon unlimited app from apkpure (Vers. 16.5.2) and ultra HD (24/192) works like a charm.
Strange that the color of the FiiO sign does not change for 24/192....
Ultra HD on amazon only a hoax? :wink:

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #2,147 of 2,501
Just a quick question.
Could somebody please confirm my guess that the colour never changes when played streamed content?
I think I have read this somewhere....

Nov 26, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #2,149 of 2,501
hi, is m9 able to install YouTube music?

Nov 27, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #2,150 of 2,501
hi, is m9 able to install YouTube music?

I don't think so. There are no Google Services. There is only a youtube front end called NewPipe that can be downloaded from a dedicated site. It makes youtube work landscape if you work out how.

Nov 28, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #2,151 of 2,501
Just pulled the trigger on the M9 on sale on Black Friday for $120 off. Basically not much more than I paid for my M7 so to good a deal to pass up. I was considering the Sony A105 and Hiby R3 Pro though neither available in Canada yet to compare them to the M9.

The A105 is interesting but would cost alot more (est. $150 more) than the M9. Both have all the same features I am looking for but the M9 has alot more power and looks to match up very well against the A105 except for battery life. Apparently the A105 has some battery issues and drains very fast in standby. I was looking harder at the R3 Pro but the M9 will cost about the same and included free shipping. Thanks to the holiday return policy from amazon.ca I will have plenty of time to try out the M9 as I can return it by Jan 31st.

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #2,152 of 2,501
Just pulled the trigger on the M9 on sale on Black Friday for $120 off. Basically not much more than I paid for my M7 so to good a deal to pass up. I was considering the Sony A105 and Hiby R3 Pro though neither available in Canada yet to compare them to the M9.

The A105 is interesting but would cost alot more (est. $150 more) than the M9. Both have all the same features I am looking for but the M9 has alot more power and looks to match up very well against the A105 except for battery life. Apparently the A105 has some battery issues and drains very fast in standby. I was looking harder at the R3 Pro but the M9 will cost about the same and included free shipping. Thanks to the holiday return policy from amazon.ca I will have plenty of time to try out the M9 as I can return it by Jan 31st.

It's still a great DAP. IMHO impossible to beat for the cost. Perfect size, rather than those big new DAPs like the M11, DX160 (which I had). Hope you get a lot of enjoyment. One really good thing is, it will stream Amazon HD. Balanced output is excellent.

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #2,153 of 2,501
It's still a great DAP. IMHO impossible to beat for the cost. Perfect size, rather than those big new DAPs like the M11, DX160 (which I had). Hope you get a lot of enjoyment. One really good thing is, it will stream Amazon HD. Balanced output is excellent.

Thanks for the feedback, I looked at the M9 really hard before settling for the M7 as the M9 was out of my price range. Having read and watched pretty much every review on the M9 I am looking forward to the better sound quality of the M9 vs the M7. A little disappointed in the big drop in battery life but head to head the M9 wins hands down vs the M7 so I am sure I will be very happy. Not really into streaming audio so it was a bit of a stretch reaching for the M9 until this price drop. But I am not a fan of the Fiio Music App on my M7 so being able to install a different Music App is appealing.

Which third party music player do you recommend? Do 3rd party Music Players affect the battery life much?

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #2,154 of 2,501
Thanks for the feedback, I looked at the M9 really hard before settling for the M7 as the M9 was out of my price range. Having read and watched pretty much every review on the M9 I am looking forward to the better sound quality of the M9 vs the M7. A little disappointed in the big drop in battery life but head to head the M9 wins hands down vs the M7 so I am sure I will be very happy. Not really into streaming audio so it was a bit of a stretch reaching for the M9 until this price drop. But I am not a fan of the Fiio Music App on my M7 so being able to install a different Music App is appealing.

Which third party music player do you recommend? Do 3rd party Music Players affect the battery life much?

There aren't a lot of choices still. I tended to use Pulsar, but I have feeling you may like streaming once you get used to it. I had about 4,500 songs on my SD card but I ended up using my favorite playlists in Spotify and now Amazon HD. It's a little slow compared to the newer DAPs but it still sounds great. Battery life is OK. Just keep it topped up when you need to.

Nov 28, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #2,155 of 2,501
There aren't a lot of choices still. I tended to use Pulsar, but I have feeling you may like streaming once you get used to it. I had about 4,500 songs on my SD card but I ended up using my favorite playlists in Spotify and now Amazon HD. It's a little slow compared to the newer DAPs but it still sounds great. Battery life is OK. Just keep it topped up when you need to.

I have tried streaming with my smartphone but with almost 10,000 songs on my M7. It takes me 8 months or more play through my library so I don't really have the time to look into streaming and It seems like to much work to find music I like to listen to. If I stick with my library I know I will like every song I hear.

I am hoping with wifi turned off to get reasonably close to the rated 10 hours. My NAD Viso HP50's are single ended only so I won't be using balanced output so that should help with battery life. They are very efficient so I won't be turning up the volume very high. The power of the M9 is definitely overkill for me as I barely get over 30/60 with my M7. If the improvement in sound quality isn't that great I might return the M9 and stick with the M7 for now.

Nov 28, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #2,156 of 2,501
Might take the plunge on this one. It is a long thread :) so can anyone confirm that both Tidal and Qobuz offline work without issues? Thank you in advance.

Nov 29, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #2,158 of 2,501
Nov 29, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #2,159 of 2,501
Should have mine on Saturday, good weekend to play with it as weather will be bad,

Not sure if the price drop is just for Black Friday but if the price drop is long term the M9 looks like a great alternative if considering the M6. For $50 more than the M6 I am getting a much better unit across the board except battery life but not a big difference.

Nov 29, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #2,160 of 2,501
Just got my unit today, 1 day free delivery, can't beat that

Just a couple of hours in after charging loaded my 256 GB card with 8000+ tracks. I need to update the firmware from1.04 to 1.05.

Initial impressions compared to Fiio M7, performance seems to be optimized over the M7 even though hardware and software are the same. Card scanning was noticeably faster, scrolling seems smoother. I haven't listened to it yet so I am wondering about the song playing glitch on the M7 is also on the M9. I will post more later once I spend more time with it. The biggest thing will be how much better does it sound than the M7.

Edit: turned off wifi and bluetooth and streaming apps. Listened now for 4+ hours and this is by far the best sounding DAP I have ever owned. It kicks the M7 to the curb in every area except battery life. Since I played with the settings quite a bit a will wait for another recharge before I gauge the battery life. The biggest so far for me other than sound quality is no audio glitch like my M7 has.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back