FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Dec 2, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #2,176 of 2,501
Meanwhile I’ve been trying FiiO link via my Hiby R5 with FiiO music app installed. I just tried FiiO link on my M9 and it connected immediately. Wish I could the darn thing to work on my Hiby though. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for stepping up to help

Dec 2, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #2,177 of 2,501
Hi. I also connect my daps to my system, ie receiver on my home audio system. I use a cable from the dap 3.5 socket that splits for separate left/right channels plugged into CD jacks on my receiver. Should I select settings for line out on the dap as well? Hopefully this question makes sense. Thanks

Yes it should be in line out mode.

Dec 2, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #2,179 of 2,501
I can’t say as I notice a difference between LO and PO when cabled to receiver. Can you break it down at all? Thanks
Line out is a fixed voltage output, Phones out is adjustable with The Volume control.
The line out has a shorter signal path to output so should sound a bit better

Dec 2, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #2,181 of 2,501
I tried it, no success.
FiiO music app on my dap insists on engaging Bluetooth. Fine. Bluetooth and WiFi both engaged in the dap. Same on iPhone. FiiO music app on iPhone: I toggle FiiO link on and I am prompted to input FiiO link IP address. I tried several different ones no success, eg WiFi MAC address, IP address (which is extremely long but listed as several lines so unsure if it’s a portion of this or the entire thing)—and these numbers came off my dap. Suggestions? Thanks
What do you mean by "IP address (which is extremely long but listed as several lines)?
It should be something like 192.168.0.5

Dec 3, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #2,182 of 2,501
Received M9 today, Oh my It's so sluggish. I deleted all apps I would not use etc.
Tidal will not play for anymore than a few minutes before I get the No Network message.
I updated firmware and updated the App but it's still next to useless.
Also a very noticeable Hiss on the Balanced output.
The M6 I have is twice as fast.

Been using my M9 for 3 days now and not sluggish at all. Much more responsive than my M7 but I do have wifi turned off. First thing I did when I got it was update to the latest firmware, uninstall the streaming apps except Tidal. I also forced stopped the Japanese google services that were running and activated the Developer Mode and in the Draw section and set the 3 animation options to zero maximize responsiveness and get the best battery life. After doing these things I am getting very close to the rated 10 hours battery life from full charge to zero, I did this only once to make sure the battery meter is calibrated. It is still early but I am very happy with the M9 and after 20 some hours of listening the sound has opened up quite a bit. I was a little underwhelmed at first with the sound but now it sounds amazing with my NAD headphones. The sound is more detailed and dynamic, with better separation and sound staging than my M7. I am so happy with it that the Sony A105 is not longer a consideration oh and not dreaded audio glitch like the M7.

With the big Black Friday price drops on the M9 and M7 I have to wonder if Fiio is clearing stock for the next product revision releases. Looking forward to seeing where Fiio goes with the next releases.

Dec 3, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #2,183 of 2,501
Been using my M9 for 3 days now and not sluggish at all. Much more responsive than my M7 but I do have wifi turned off. First thing I did when I got it was update to the latest firmware, uninstall the streaming apps except Tidal. I also forced stopped the Japanese google services that were running and activated the Developer Mode and in the Draw section and set the 3 animation options to zero maximize responsiveness and get the best battery life. After doing these things I am getting very close to the rated 10 hours battery life from full charge to zero, I did this only once to make sure the battery meter is calibrated. It is still early but I am very happy with the M9 and after 20 some hours of listening the sound has opened up quite a bit. I was a little underwhelmed at first with the sound but now it sounds amazing with my NAD headphones. The sound is more detailed and dynamic, with better separation and sound staging than my M7. I am so happy with it that the Sony A105 is not longer a consideration oh and not dreaded audio glitch like the M7.

With the big Black Friday price drops on the M9 and M7 I have to wonder if Fiio is clearing stock for the next product revision releases. Looking forward to seeing where Fiio goes with the next releases.
How did you activated the Developer mode?

Dec 3, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #2,184 of 2,501
How did you activated the Developer mode?

1. Go to Settings
2. General
3. About Device
4. Tap on the Build Number 7 times to activate the Developer Mode, as you tap you will see countdown indicating how many more times to press it to activate Developer Mode

Once you do that exit all the way out and then go back to Settings you should now see Developer Options listed. This is a standard Android Hack

Be very careful about changing any settings. The only options I changed were under the Draw category. I set all 3 of the animation options to zero. Now I don't see the spinning icon when the unit boots and shuts down.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #2,186 of 2,501
What do you mean by "IP address (which is extremely long but listed as several lines)?
It should be something like 192.168.0.5
Dear friend,

1. Make sure this device and your mobile phone are connected to the same WiFi network.
2. Enter the FiiO Music APP(player's)-setting-FiiO Link- three dots icon at the top right, switch to WiFi option. Then switch on the Server option. And you will see a IP address at that time.
3. Install the latest FiiO Music APP in your mobile phone.

For iOS device:
Enter the FiiO Music APP-setting-FiiO Link
4. Input the ip address in the pop up dialog.
5. FiiO Link is connected successfully!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 7, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #2,187 of 2,501
Pulsar or Neutron vs Fiio Music Player,

I am new to Android DAP's and I am frustrated with the Fiio Music Player not sorting tracks in proper alphabetical order. It didn't on my M7 and it doesn't on my M9 but now of course we can install some other apps on the M9. I noticed Pulsar and Neutron are whitelisted and I was wondering if either would be worth using instead of the Fiio Music player? I have no experience with either app so any feedback you can provide on Pulsar and Neutron would be appreciated.

I was also looking at the ES File Explorer but then I saw that Google dropped them from the play store. I know the M9 does not support Google Play store but is it still worthwhile using ES File Explorer on the M9 or is it overkill?

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #2,188 of 2,501
Pulsar or Neutron vs Fiio Music Player,

I am new to Android DAP's and I am frustrated with the Fiio Music Player not sorting tracks in proper alphabetical order. It didn't on my M7 and it doesn't on my M9 but now of course we can install some other apps on the M9. I noticed Pulsar and Neutron are whitelisted and I was wondering if either would be worth using instead of the Fiio Music player? I have no experience with either app so any feedback you can provide on Pulsar and Neutron would be appreciated.

I was also looking at the ES File Explorer but then I saw that Google dropped them from the play store. I know the M9 does not support Google Play store but is it still worthwhile using ES File Explorer on the M9 or is it overkill?
I am using Neutron and it works fine.

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #2,189 of 2,501
I would like to use Neutron but unfortunately the way to purchase it for the M9 is very uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back