FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Apr 15, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #1,816 of 2,501
I have been looking for a new DAP with Spotify functionality to replace my Cayin N3 and think I've settled on the M9. However, I want to make sure that it does what I need it to do instead of making assumptions. Since Spotify is on the whitelist of apps that can be loaded onto the M9 and it has Wifi to stream from Spotify, does that also mean that I can download offline songs onto the SD card of the M9 and listen to songs without internet connection (assuming that I am on a Spotify premium account)? Or can it only stream while I have an internet connection? If I can download songs for offline use, it can be on the SD card and NOT ONLY internal memory right?

Apr 15, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #1,817 of 2,501
It's YES to all of your questions mate..
I have been looking for a new DAP with Spotify functionality to replace my Cayin N3 and think I've settled on the M9. However, I want to make sure that it does what I need it to do instead of making assumptions. Since Spotify is on the whitelist of apps that can be loaded onto the M9 and it has Wifi to stream from Spotify, does that also mean that I can download offline songs onto the SD card of the M9 and listen to songs without internet connection (assuming that I am on a Spotify premium account)? Or can it only stream while I have an internet connection? If I can download songs for offline use, it can be on the SD card and NOT ONLY internal memory right?

Apr 16, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #1,819 of 2,501
I can also say yes to all your questions, right now using spotify offline downloaded albums to my samsung sd card. So no problems there at all. Only have in mind that m9 not the fastest device with spotify and tidal so don't expect mobile phone quick experience. But other than that it really works and sounds good with spotify :wink:

Apr 16, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #1,821 of 2,501
Yeah i agree m9 at this price level is amazing device and at the moment don't have alternatives in my opinion. So cant expect from it more as i don't have any problems with it other than those with speed releated. So for spotify or tidal offline best choice :)

Apr 16, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #1,823 of 2,501
A great endorsement of the FiiO M9, as well as the FH5 IEMs, on the high profile Engadget website.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/15/what-were-listening-to-in-april-the-white-album-in-high-res/
Hey thanks for sharing it was really nice to read this. Sad that i didn't had possibility to listen m9 and fh5 as these looks like specially tuned to fit ideally with each other. This i hear not the first time. I heard fa7 with m9 that was really nice sounding combo. When used fh5 different time i remember something wasn't right with the fit so i haven't heard bass at all but this perhaps was because of not enough good fit and isolation.

Apr 16, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #1,824 of 2,501
Yesterday I tried another wifi router at home, this can both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz. the next morning, the M9 had to reconnect with the router but at least it was able to reconnect. before I connected the M9 to a Devolo which works on the power network at Home and is connected with the main Router, this only runs over 2.4 GHz and the next day the wifi on the M9 is gone and I have to restart the device.

For those who have problems with wifi, on which frequency is your wifi router?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #1,825 of 2,501
hello there to all of you
i just bought the m9
for start i did the 3 firmware updates
i then also did a hard reset since the device is new and not set up
so after that problem number 1
i opened tidal and there is a message about new update but when i pree update i get the message tidal has stoped working
gggrrrrr
whats wrong ???

Apr 16, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #1,826 of 2,501
hello there to all of you
i just bought the m9
for start i did the 3 firmware updates
i then also did a hard reset since the device is new and not set up
so after that problem number 1
i opened tidal and there is a message about new update but when i pree update i get the message tidal has stoped working
gggrrrrr
whats wrong ???
It was discussed already in the thread. But its because m9 dont have google play so you need to download latest tidal version from apkpure and put it in your sd card in m9 and from there with file manager install. That's all and you will have latest tidal. So don't update from program as it will always crash. So hope it helps.

Apr 16, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #1,828 of 2,501
Is there a Posting, Forum, or site,etc that list in more detail what the manual says are available functions and capabilities of the M9?
Like 1) What are the Roll-Offs? I'd like that explained.
2) And where is the EQ? I've searched high and low, to no avail.
3) The M9 says my songs are playing in "SQ", Standard Quality? I Drag/Drop them from my Mac. All songs are in ALAC. So why aren't they playing at that bitrate?
4) How to change bitrates?
5) How to turn off the Previous/Next Track. It's TOO sensitive. I put it in my Hoodie, button side up. And it will still change tracks with the slightest touch or bump.
6) No matter what I do, I can't get it to connect to Wi-Fi

Apr 16, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #1,829 of 2,501
EQ: with screen unlocked touch now playing album art screen. Then touch bottom left EQ image, looks like sliders.

SQ means 16/44 which is the bit rate and frequency of Alac music files, so SQ is correct designation. Player automatically displays music quality based upon file format, e.g. 24/96, etc. No way nor no need to manually select this.

On main screen select settings icon. Choose key lock settings, then custom. You can make back/forward, play/pause buttons inoperable when screen is dark. But yes buttons are much too sensitive or forward

Users who are viewing this thread

Back