FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Aug 21, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #63 of 2,501
Honestly, I will have to disagree with all the comments about streaming in this thread. The reason is that the M line was built to go back to the original music player that made fiio famous in the beginning. Hence, they are "going back to basics" like with the X3. The idea is to get a good quality sound that is much better than your cell phone or whatever "headphone" jack that you are plugging it to that is cheap Chinese crap and sounds like Chinese crap, not to mention crap headphones. So, the idea was way back when to buy a dedicated device that it's only purpose was to put music in those headphones that didn't crap out when someone turned up the bass and you could have a completely dedicated board and enclosure and everything that is completely devoid of all those pesky interference issues but then the touch screen shot starting becoming unbiquitous and we were like oh yeah we can have album art and easy to use interfaces oh yeah and just add some bluetooth why not wifi just put android on it hell. Don't you see why big corporations ruin technology with adding every feature under the sun that you don't need. This thing will practically become a cell phone just call it the M9-dial-your-mommy phone. Good thing at least fiio's version of the OS is very minimal and music focused and you don't have all this crazy stuff on there like in the M7 that I really like. I wouldn't mind even not having android but I guess now everyone would be like what everything has android ok fine but I like these stripped down versions because it is pretty efficient especially with these new Samsung chips, so I think that's fine and you know bluetooth and wifi does add some amount of interference I don't care what they say you know it has to at some level when the receiver is that close to all your electronics inside that exclusure, believe me there is an effect on the signals inside the device. And I mean music you can download offline and play them from your collection of course completely legally and law fully, but I don't see a reason to subscribe your device to a wireless service that is also BTW bad for your health because of electromagetic radiation but I don't think you understand how that works. Just go with the flow. We are living in a dreamworld and you're getting sleepier and sleepier. Just row row row your boat, gently down the stream. Merily, merily we go, gently down the stream.

Your post makes me feel grateful that I still use the first gen X3

Aug 21, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #64 of 2,501
We got an email from Spotify today, they refused us to pre install their app in our M9, very sorry for that.

I hate to say it, but that's the expected outcome. I'd have been surprised and flabbergasted if they had agreed.

In terms of streaming music services, here's a short list:

Amazon Music
Apple Music
Deezer
Pandora
Qobuz
Tidal

I only use two of these, but I have either previously used or would have interest in using the others. This is off the top of my head and US-centric.

Aug 22, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #65 of 2,501
Anyway, please tell us what is the main steam music app in your country so we can talk with them to get the licence .
For The Netherlands I'd say, Google Play Music, Apple Music and Spotify.

Personally I don't care much for streaming services (except Google Play since I have 48000 songs on there).
Sound quality and ease of use are #1 for me. The M7 offers just that so let the M9 be the bigger, better brother of the M7 please.
The most important feature of the M7 I want to see in the M9 is the Power handling (deep sleep standby).

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #66 of 2,501
Aug 22, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #69 of 2,501
Oh wait, now I get it! The M9 is made by childslaves and approximately 15 children have died per M9 made.

:japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre: Fiio, shame on you! :japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre:

We demand a label "No people were harmed in making this device" next to the HiRes Audio label!

(Hey, I'm called Zhubajie for a reason :wink: )

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #70 of 2,501
Our plan is you can choose one local stream music when you power on M9 first time. cause the Exynos has very limited RAM/ROM so it can't run like other android DAP/smartphone.

Can the one be changed without having to do a complete factory reset? If I use Google Music and choose that as my one streaming app (assuming that it's an option) then three months later I join Tidal would I be able to replace Google Music with Tidal without losing any customized settings (library, defaults, etc)? Would I have to do a factory reset and start all over choosing tidal this time? Or, will it be set up so that you choose one and it can't be changed even if a factory reset is later performed?

What about streaming files from my own server using smb? Will there be an app that lets me choose a share on a server within the .local network domain and stream those files via wifi? If the answer to either of these is no then please consider preinstalling the Hiby Music app. The Fiio Music app is quite honestly the weakest link in existing Fiio Android based DAPs and even the Fiio support forum guys will recommend Hiby as the answer to the limitations of the Fiio music app.

Aug 22, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #71 of 2,501
Tell please, offline streaming in Tidal and others, don't supported ?

the Tidal and other 3rd party App can supports offline streaming. so don't worry about it.

btw, although we can pre-install the spotify but you can still download the spotify.apk and install by yourself.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 22, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #72 of 2,501
the Tidal and other 3rd party App can supports offline streaming. so don't worry about it.

btw, although we can pre-install the spotify but you can still download the spotify.apk and install by yourself.
Sounds awesome! I just hope it has good battery life :wink:

Aug 23, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #74 of 2,501

But, as I understand it, memory and power limitations of the device made you decide to offer only one application from the list.
If someone decides to install more apps by installing .apk's there won't be enough resources.

And does the M9 has an interface to download and install .apk's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back