FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Apr 6, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #2,281 of 2,501
Again, the M9 has nothing to do with playback volume with Bluetooth, it simply sends a signal to the receiving chip where all the decoding and amplification is done. I am not sure why people think the M9 is doing anything to the signal to change playback volume. You can't compare the wired playback to Bluetooth, that seems problematic as in reality you might as well be comparing two different headphones. The M9 acts as a signal transmitter, that is it. The playback device is responsible for the amplification.
Right, I wasnt disputing that really, just talking out loud as im confused about a couple parts of what was happening in my testing. Number one would be, why could I get much more volume when Im connected elsewhere on the same files. On some files I tried, that were to low to satisfy on my M9, actually had to be turned down when connected to a couple other devices. That appears to potentially be a plex volume normalization instead, as that was the app I was playing the same source files on other devices and I see some normalization auto setting enabled in my plex menu. I will have to try a music app with no gain or normalization instead, but that probably answers that.

The connection of why I can adjust the volume on the M9 for BT, as well as on the headset confuses me a little but I get what youre saying and should just let it go. So the volume on the M9 isnt actually increasing the output signal, but rather telling the headset to go louder, even though the headset has its own volume it controls separately, is that right?

The wired connections were more to just demonstrate that they need to be heavily moderated with the M9 and its not that my ears are shot or im listening at insane levels. It seems bluetooth headsets, or at least the 3 I own, are all just lacking in volume headroom via bluetooth connection. Having since read a lot of complaints about bluetooth headset volumes and the PXC550 in particular and that being the lowest of the 3, it makes some sense. The PXC being able to go significantly louder via both active or passive wired connection, tells me the bluetooth functionality of it is what makes it incapable of reaching the volumes I want, not the headphones themselves. Like you said, different animals, but in my primitive understanding it tells me the headphones are capable, just not the bluetooth side of it.I am stuck having to be dissatisfied, sell/move on, or apply significant preamp to songs below 95db when listening on the BT sets I own. ReplayGain standard is 89db and that is intolerable on these headsets imo. I'll be interested to try other sets I can get my hands on and see how loud they go.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #2,282 of 2,501
Again, the M9 has nothing to do with playback volume with Bluetooth, it simply sends a signal to the receiving chip where all the decoding and amplification is done. I am not sure why people think the M9 is doing anything to the signal to change playback volume. You can't compare the wired playback to Bluetooth, that seems problematic as in reality you might as well be comparing two different headphones. The M9 acts as a signal transmitter, that is it. The playback device is responsible for the amplification.
This might be true as far as it goes, but only if the digital signal is not being attenuated, since the volume can be adjusted via the m9's volume control when sending a signal via bluetooth. While the volume controls on the m9 and my bt headphones (Status BT1, my only bt headphones) operate independent of one another, my BT1's control the volume by adjusting the volume of the phone, you can watch it going up. That said, the volume at max is much louder using my phone as a bt source than using the m9 at max volume on it and the BT1s. The M9 to BT1 combo are loud enough for me just shy of max, but not much headroom for music recorded at lower volumes (most of my music, as I am old). Via bt from my phone, max volume is quite a bit louder than I would ever listen, and also clipping. Just one more data point.

Apr 6, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #2,283 of 2,501
This might be true as far as it goes, but only if the digital signal is not being attenuated, since the volume can be adjusted via the m9's volume control when sending a signal via bluetooth. While the volume controls on the m9 and my bt headphones (Status BT1, my only bt headphones) operate independent of one another, my BT1's control the volume by adjusting the volume of the phone, you can watch it going up. That said, the volume at max is much louder using my phone as a bt source than using the m9 at max volume on it and the BT1s. The M9 to BT1 combo are loud enough for me just shy of max, but not much headroom for music recorded at lower volumes (most of my music, as I am old). Via bt from my phone, max volume is quite a bit louder than I would ever listen, and also clipping. Just one more data point.
Interesting, and I do get that as with any device the volume control can of course attenuate the output signal, so yes I agree with you and get that. I was referencing a BT transmitting device when the volume is left at full. I am wondering if there isn't a way that transmitting devices can somehow have different BT signals/streams even when the volume is left on full? I would love to learn more about this and I freely admit that I have a great deal to learn. FiiO should have enough in-house knowledge now of Bluetooth to weigh in and help us figure this out.

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #2,284 of 2,501
@FiiO Any chance you can weigh in here on bluetooth volume variances from different devices and what might be happening with the M9's (and M11 from what I've read) low output?

I've now tested the exact same files using the same apps as I am on the M9 and 3 other devices all dwarf the M9 in volume headroom, significantly, on the same 3 headsets tested on the M9. That really seems to me like it puts the blame at the feet of the M9 somehow.

Any chance of a firmware fix?

As you'll note from my other posts, I've already tried enabling and disabling the "absolute volume" option in the dev options and have made sure volumes on both devices are cranked.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #2,285 of 2,501
M9 Questions, Running and WFMU ?

Hi All,
I am thinking of buying the M9 I like the small size and the options of Wi-Fi and balanced output. I have two questions;

1. Does any run using their Fiio M9 ? I have a Cayin N3 and it is definitely not made for running.

2. Anyone use the Fiio M11 to listen to the WFMU Archives on their M9 ? Not sure if it is possible to use the M9 to listen to "website pop up links".

Thank you !

Apr 8, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #2,286 of 2,501
Hi all. Looking for some advice and I think this is the place to be :). I have a Chord Mojo/Poly, which I really like, but as my company i-phone has limited storage and data plan I am looking for a solution to be able to use Tidal/Qobuz offline. I used to use an older i-pod touch but it no longer support these streaming services...bummer. The M9 seems to tick the box on this but it would be great to have the option to use it as a standalone player or with the Mojo. Is this possible and if so what cable do I need? Thanks a lot In advance and stay safe all.

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #2,288 of 2,501
Apr 16, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #2,289 of 2,501
For anyone else that is bothered by the Low Bluetooth volume output on the M6, M9 or M11 compared to other devices, the app linked below is the best fix Ive found. It plays nice in my M9 and doesn't affect performance. Can be changed on the fly without opening a separate app. I only needed a bit of headroom, so 5-8% boost is plenty.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.goodev.volume.booster

Fiio asked me to demo the issue and didnt really acknowledge my requests to see if anything can be done, so a firmware fix is likely out of the question, if thats even possinle for this issue. Obviously, some are fine with the amount of BT volume they get.

Just wanted to pass this along as I have read various users in this thread and the M11 and M6 threads complaining about this issue with the fiio line of DAP's.

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #2,291 of 2,501
Thanks. Although I am one for whom it is not an issue, ( mostly because I rarely use bluetooth with the m9) it is good to have this info and kind of you to do the legwork and drop it here. Cheers.
Happy to pass it along. I was grateful to another user that pointed me to it in the M11 thread.

Ultimately, i think the fiio DAP's are just on the low end of BT volume output compared to other devices and that's important info for potential buyers to be aware of.

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #2,292 of 2,501
Wrong player thread I know ....but my m7 (both of them ) when I use Bluetooth to my anker speaker I put speaker at max output , then down one level. ...then use the m7 ....and at about volume 30 its. Very good. And loud enough. When using Bluetooth headphones , ear buds , the volume works on either device...and still loud enough.....

Apr 16, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #2,293 of 2,501
Hope you can help me ..on my two m7 players they both have different firmware, the newer one as this , FIIO LINK , what dies this do....? Thanks in advance.

It's ok just found it ...sorry.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #2,294 of 2,501
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back