FIIO M5
Aug 18, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #16 of 40
Does the wrist band come with the original packaging? If not, do most retailers stock this? With the step count I am interested in trying this out as my daily watch. And it doesn't bother me that it would be on the big side as a watch. :)

Aug 18, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #17 of 40
Does the wrist band come with the original packaging?
No, it does not.
Some retailers add it as a gift, some don't.

That's what I get from Fiio Customer Service at support@fiio.com

"Dear friend,
Thank you for your mail and support to FiiO.
The cost of the wrist band is 15USD, including shipping cost.
If you would prefer,
Pls open this Aliexpress link: click here, then to input " 15 " in the option of Quantity and click "Buy now" to complete the payment. After receiving your payment, we will arrange to send the item to you as soon as possible. Kindly remember to enclose the related information about this email ticket number and my name '##22625,Jojo' along with the payment, then I can handle it effectively.

Thanks for your cooperation in advanced.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.
Have a nice day!
Best Regards,
FiiO Customer Service"

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #18 of 40
With the step count I am interested in trying this out as my daily watch. And it doesn't bother me that it would be on the big side as a watch. :)

That's from my original posting

"It is equipped with a high precision pedometer chip. I have a FitBit Blaze fitness tracker which counts the amount of steps quite correctly (I counted 1000 steps which I made and compared it to the amount of Blaze readings. The difference was from 3 to 6 steps for one thousand steps made). The difference of indications between Blaze and Fiio M5 makes 2-3 steps. Most likely, they use the identical algorithm of step calculation. It’s obvious that Fiio has set for itself a target to create such a device without which the user could not do a single day. And in my opinion this task has been executed successfully."

Aug 18, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #19 of 40
That's from my original posting

"It is equipped with a high precision pedometer chip. I have a FitBit Blaze fitness tracker which counts the amount of steps quite correctly (I counted 1000 steps which I made and compared it to the amount of Blaze readings. The difference was from 3 to 6 steps for one thousand steps made). The difference of indications between Blaze and Fiio M5 makes 2-3 steps. Most likely, they use the identical algorithm of step calculation. It’s obvious that Fiio has set for itself a target to create such a device without which the user could not do a single day. And in my opinion this task has been executed successfully."
That's good to know. Thanks for sharing.

No, it does not.
Some retailers add it as a gift, some don't.

That's what I get from Fiio Customer Service at support@fiio.com

"Dear friend,
Thank you for your mail and support to FiiO.
The cost of the wrist band is 15USD, including shipping cost.
If you would prefer,
Pls open this Aliexpress link: click here, then to input " 15 " in the option of Quantity and click "Buy now" to complete the payment. After receiving your payment, we will arrange to send the item to you as soon as possible. Kindly remember to enclose the related information about this email ticket number and my name '##22625,Jojo' along with the payment, then I can handle it effectively.

Thanks for your cooperation in advanced.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.
Have a nice day!
Best Regards,
FiiO Customer Service"
I'll try to drop by the shop tomorrow and see if they carry the wrist band. It would be much more convenient that way. Thanks for sharing this too.

I only wish it had a balanced out but not a deal breaker.

Aug 18, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #20 of 40
I only wish it had a balanced out but not a deal breaker.
Yes, that would improve the SQ greatly but then the battery discharge would be almost two times faster. The autonomy will suffer much.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #21 of 40
Sep 25, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #22 of 40
I decided to put together my impressions about Fiio M5 player. It will be short.

What I like:

1. Small size;

2. Bluetooth receiver supported codecs;

3. Relatively simple GUI.

What is a big loss for me:

1. Bookmarks. I would like to have the ability to use them for long books listening, different ones with musical brakes. So far, it is impossible.

2. Good equalizer, for precise tuning of my hearing/headphones. The current five-band equalizer is a joke. The 10 bands minimum, 20 better and 31 is ideal. Without good equalizer sound is barely acceptable for me, compared to my LG V20 capabilities. Do not take me wrong, with FiiO Music app and no equalization on LG V20 and M5, they sound almost identical.

What is not a deal braking, but not good, as well:

1. M5 cannot play DSD files longer than 2 GB, cannot copy to the memory files longer than 4 GB;

2. M5 cannot play ALAC (.m4a) files;

3. M5 cannot recognize FLAC cue files;

4. Bluetooth receiver is not as easy to control as on BTR3, but audio power is higher than on BTR3, if you need it;

5. On my PC in the DAC mode, it only can go up to 24 bit 192 kHz;

6. Fiio android FiiO Music app cannot recognize M5;

7. My Toyota Bluetooth cannot recognize M5 transmitter.

What is good:

SMALL SIZE.

Summarizing all together:

For me it is a good, relatively expensive, toy... Will keep it.

Sep 26, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #23 of 40
Sep 26, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #24 of 40
M5 cannot play ALAC (.m4a) files;
Mine can play .m4a files. I've even converted most of my flac files to .m4a format. There's a problem with .aac file tags, though. Yes, I admit that.

I did not quite get the idea about point 6. Could you explain it?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #25 of 40
V. 1.3.0 is already on.
http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthr...extra=page%3D1

Changes:
1. Added quick search function in track lists;
2. Added 'Recently Added' playlist;
3. Added support for external m3u playlists;
4. Added support for swiping on a long track name to view it in full length;
5. Fixed issue where some tracks might be played improperly;
6. Fixed issue where the date displayed in the lock screen was still in 24-hour format even after setting it to 12-hour format;
7. Improved the system stability;

The problem with Russian tags is not solved.

Sep 29, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #26 of 40
Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #27 of 40
V. 1.3.0 is already on.
http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthr...extra=page%3D1

Changes:
1. Added quick search function in track lists;
2. Added 'Recently Added' playlist;
3. Added support for external m3u playlists;
4. Added support for swiping on a long track name to view it in full length;
5. Fixed issue where some tracks might be played improperly;
6. Fixed issue where the date displayed in the lock screen was still in 24-hour format even after setting it to 12-hour format;
7. Improved the system stability;

The problem with Russian tags is not solved.

This is from MK3II firmware, a $69 player. This is missing from M5

5. Added "All Songs" under Category -> Artist, which brings together all the songs of the selected artists.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #28 of 40
This is from MK3II firmware, a $69 player. This is missing from M5
What do you mean?
M5-Firmware download
FiiO-Bob

Technical Support

Edited by FiiO at 2019-9-29 15:17

How to upgrade the M5:
M5 system firmware upgrade tutorial: download the M5 system firmware package (don't unzip it) copy to the Micro SD card

Upgrade when the M5 is on: copy the firmware package to the Micro SD card root directory, then enter the System settings, click the System updates and confirm;

Upgrade when the M5 is off: After copying the firmware package to the Micro SD card root directory, hold the volume + and power button when the M5 is off to enter the upgrade mode and release the button.

Sep 29, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #29 of 40
What do you mean?
M5-Firmware download
FiiO-Bob

Technical Support

Edited by FiiO at 2019-9-29 15:17

How to upgrade the M5:
M5 system firmware upgrade tutorial: download the M5 system firmware package (don't unzip it) copy to the Micro SD card

Upgrade when the M5 is on: copy the firmware package to the Micro SD card root directory, then enter the System settings, click the System updates and confirm;

Upgrade when the M5 is off: After copying the firmware package to the Micro SD card root directory, hold the volume + and power button when the M5 is off to enter the upgrade mode and release the button.

5. Added "All Songs" under Category -> Artist, which brings together all the songs of the selected artists. That’s from m3k firmware. The M5 needs this

Sep 29, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #30 of 40
5. Added "All Songs" under Category -> Artist, which brings together all the songs of the selected artists. That’s from m3k firmware. The M5 needs this
Sorry, I thought you were writing this update is not for M5 but for m3k altogether.
To me they've fixed most of the main issues in this update.
The main problem for me was not solved, though. The player still does not read correctly Russian tags in m4a fromat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back