FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Aug 7, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #1,801 of 2,001
  My more detailed thoughts can be found on page 60 of this thread as well as others.  Others commented as well, but I don't think the play options have changed and there have been a few fw updates since I returned mine.

Well after reading more information and different people's experiences with the M3 including yours I decided to cancel my order for the M3. I think now I would just be disappointed when I got it. I think I'll wait and see what the X1II or the next X3 will be like and go for one of those whenever they come out. I read that James Chung was a bit disappointed in the M3 and that it wasn't what they hoped it would be. Thanks for your help...I'm glad I read enough information to make a better decision.
beerchug.gif

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #1,802 of 2,001

​After owning the M3 for a few months I see Fiio intend on creating it to be a "small-portable DAP" for casual listeners. It won't satisfy music hoarder like me that carry thousands of songs around in folders and creating playlist endlessly, M3 as a carrier is just not good enough with the software it has currently, but it is good enough for storing a couple of songs and non - serious music listening, like for when doing something else.

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #1,803 of 2,001
What I like:-
Affordable, ultra-portable size (better form factor than sansa clip, imo), almost weightless, can be thrown around in my backpack, reliable operation (to me), option to play through folders (so I can do long listening and focus on doing other stuff), warm sounding (so more towards musicality than hifi/detail sounding), no need to pamper (since not expensive and it is plastic) and battery ...20hrs!!!
What I may dislike:-
Songs/Folders not in proper sequence (by date of entry I think, need use 3rd party software to sort), no gapless.
Overall, being a budget dap, there is little to complain. M3 is a keeper for me. May not be good enough for serious listening, but definitely musical enough for daily commuting and casual listening.
Will be interested in an upgraded M series if there is ever one (since Fiio had mentioned before from their previous post that they had actually hope M3 was better)

Aug 8, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #1,804 of 2,001
so I've had mine for about a week now. 

I love music but not a super audiophile and I have a pair of decent headphones although nothing too expensive.  For what the m3 is at 50 USD, it would be very hard to beat this.  The device can hold an insane amount of storage doubling as portable storage device.  The SQ on this thing is pretty good. The volume it can output is very good at such a cheap price.  The battery life is GREAT, I've charged it twice and it's pretty much lasted 2 weeks.  Build quality is really good while being lightweight, some high durability plastic.  Adding songs is a not a chore much like you find with itunes\apple products.  Buttons are hit and miss.  I have really small hands and was able to manipulate the whole thing with 2 hands.  Granted, some people may have very large hands\fingers and will definitely have trouble with this down the road.

I've previously owned a nano 6g.  Amazing UI aside from handling the god forsaken itunes, had radio, easy to navigate options, better on the user side for sure.  The m3 seems to trade off user interaction for the sake of a better overall product.  The sq on the nano\apple products doesn't seem as good and they make up for by having things that really don't contribute to the quality of the music.  For example, the nano 6g had some pretty nice displays settings for clocks and the display on things overall was better.  Since the purpose of these cheap DAPs are to be music players, I feel like the user interaction can be traded off for a better product.

However, that doesn't mean the UI had to be like this and this is probably my #1 complaint about the m3 is the UI.  The user interface on this thing is uhhh, terrible.  Starting out, I didn't even know there was a 2nd menu you can access once a song was playing by holding down menu button and if I didn't read it on here, I probably wouldn't have figured it out.  From a user stand point, it's technically hidden.  I have a degree in computer programming and the #1 thing about programming you learn is that the user needs to operate the software with as little trouble as possible.

I think fiio should let users code their own stuff for this player by releasing the source code so users can edit and update it.  They lose nothing in the process and gain everything.  By everything I mean users can update the player as they see fit and show Fiio what they prefer out of their products rather than what has been given to us on the user end.   Fiio then could look at the changes and add\think about the design into current and future DAPs. Wish more companies were open source and let users edit things.  After all, we're the ones using it.

Pretty happy though at 50 USD.  It did everything I wanted it to do and doubles as a storage device.  Really like the fact they cut out all the useless crap that Apple adds to their products and gave me more music oriented stuff.  Just wish we could edit the source code and make a better UI.

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #1,805 of 2,001
I agree.

I think that we tend to forget that it's a cheap player because it is a Fiio. I have an X1, X3 and X5. All really good players. The one I use the most I think, is the X3.

Reasons are the size. No wheel because mine's the first one and I use a menu system designed by someone on here which is way easier to read.

I would personally prefer a higher contrast design on the m3 with larger characters, but the sound is fine.

The interface has always been the hot topic with Fiios. I think I'd prefer them to lose the wheel. Trying to emulate an Ipod is all well and good if it matches in the way that it works, but in comparison to my Ipod, the wheels feel very crude and mechanical. I prefer the old X3 button selection.

The m3 buttons are a bit fiddly being built in and flat, plus the fact that they are also a bit small.

Aug 8, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #1,806 of 2,001
I’ve had my Fiio M3 for 3 or 4 weeks now.  I like it for what it is.  A small, inexpensive DAP for playing music on the go.  I have a number of portable DAPs.  DX50 with RSA Intruder.  Ipod nano with RSA Predator.  Ipod classic plugged into my truck aftermarket stereo.  Ipod touch with dock in the bathroom for shaving and stuff.  So I look at the M3 as a tool.  A tool for music listening on the go.  I bought it because I wanted to stain my deck without having to worry about damaging my amps and other more expensive players.

Here is what I like:
I can take the M3 and drop it in my pocket for on the go listening.  Going to the grocery store or warehouse supermarket.  Pop it in my ears and I’m hearing what I want and I’m tuning out the Direct TV salesmen in the electronics isle.  I listen to it while cutting the grass and doing outside yard work.  I listen to it while waiting for takeout food, and used it for 3 hours while waiting on new tires for my truck last Saturday.

I’m using the Trinity Delta (first gen) headphones with it.  Gunmetal filter gives me a great amount of bass, if it is in the recording.  But isn’t bloated or muddy.

I have (2) 64G micro SD cards filled up with my favorite music just for the M3.  Scanning time is good.  I scanned an almost full 64G uSD in 40 seconds.  Folder browsing is a breeze.  Something interesting to note.  If you plug the uSD card into the slot while the M3 is off, it will not scan. BUT you can do folder browsing.  If you try to artist or album select, it will say no files.

The sound is a bit on the warmer side, and I’m ok with that.  My very first listen was late in the evening when I first got it.  I was going to just check it out for functionality.  I ended up listening to the whole Cry of Love – Brother album.  The sound is very good for a small on the go DAP.  It is very good for long term listening.  I don't experience any fatigue.

Neutral Issues:
Fat32 Folder Sort:  A number of people are unhappy with the folder sorting issues.  From my investigations, FAT32 is the culprit, and shouldn’t be blamed on Fiio or the M3.  The problem is the FAT32 standard.  Yes, you have to download a FAT32 sorting program.  Like Drivesort.  But it really is super easy once you install it and set it up.  Tech Made Plain webstie provides the link and a quick tutorial on setup.   I just run Drivesort immediately after transferring music to my micro SD cards.  Takes less than 5 seconds.  No muss no fuss.
http://techmadeplain.com/2014/how-to-sort-music-flash-drive-car-stereo/

Fat32 formatting:  Yes.  You will have to format your cards to Fat32, and not all computer programs will let you do that.  The one from the SD Association does NOT let you choose Fat32 formatting.  I suggest using this one from Ridgecrop Consultants.  When you get a new micro SD card, I suggest giving it a full format.  That will clear out any bad sectors or formatting that it doesn’t like.
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Folder playthrough vs Stop at end.
I think I inadvertently found the answer to this my first weekend of use.  First, I will say that I have never had a DAP with folder playthrough, and I kinda like it.  Especially for my use of having it in my pocket and playing music while working outside or at the store.  It just goes to the next album in the folder.  If I don’t like what it goes to, I can at least listen to something until I take a moment to switch it out.

Here is where the important info is for playthrough vs stop:
IF you are using the folder > play selection.  (Folder is at the bottom of the menu) it WILL play through the folder into the next.
IF you are using Artist (or Album) > play selection.  (Artist is middle of the menu, Album is fourth) it will STOP at the end of the album.
Problem solved.  
smily_headphones1.gif

What I Don’t like:
Starts automatically.  If you have selected the Resume mode to be position, then the unit will start playing the last song played from where you powered off.  But it will do this any time it is powered on.  Including if you just plug it in to charge.  I DO like resume-position.  BUT, I would like it to remember the position, AND have initial startup be paused.

BTW. The resume mode choices are position, off, song.  Position is described above.  Off > will take you to the beginning of the song that was previously playing, but will power up in a paused condition.  Song > will take you to the beginning of the song that was previously playing, but will power up playing from the beginning.  Of the three choices, position is the least annoying, since it does, at least start from the position you stopped.

Gapless not supported.  I will reference FLAC only, since that is what I use.  It does not support gapless FLAC.  I can hear a tiny beep when changing between two linked songs.  Like a live album.  But if the album has natural breaks, then you hear nothing.  Not a big deal to me for a portable DAP.  It would be a big deal if it was for critical listening.

Character display:  In English, there simply are not enough characters being displayed for the artists and files.  Half of the screen display is available for more characters.  (Again.  English.)  Other people have mentioned this.  Selecting Led Zeppelin I, or II, or III, or IV albums are impossible.  However, while playing, the file name does scroll the file across the screen while the screen is on.  For the Civil Wars song, 20 years = The file displays “01 The Civil Wars – 20”  But, as mentioned above, it will scroll while playing and the screen is on.

Conclusion:
I will end by saying that I really like this little player.  It sounds really good.  It does everything that I need it to do.  I need it to be a cheap dap that I can throw in a pocket and listen to when I’m out.  Without worrying if it breaks or if I lose it.  Would I replace it if that happened?  At this time, absolutely.

The sound is good, the features are just enough, and the price is right.  I would give it 4 out of 5 stars because of price to performance ratio.

Here is a picture of my M3 inside the Trinity headphone case with the Trinity Delta (first gen)

Aug 8, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,808 of 2,001
  But the file sorting issue isn't there with the X1 X3 or X5 so why with the M3. Being cheap isn't really an excuse or shouldn't be when the low priced Sansa players have never had this issue.

that's because they are running two completely different firmware/OS.  I think they had to do it because the M3 is much less powerful vs even the X1.  The Sansa players has the benefit of rockbox really.  My rockboxed Clip Zip is better than the M3 in all aspects except for (barely) sound quality,  Neither is as good as my X3 2nd Gen, but that's a completely different price bracket.  Someone did make a java based playlist editor for the M3 but it looks like it only works if you are using a microSD card, so there's at least that I suppose.

Aug 9, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #1,809 of 2,001
But the file sorting issue isn't there with the X1 X3 or X5 so why with the M3. Being cheap isn't really an excuse or shouldn't be when the low priced Sansa players have never had this issue.

I will approach this from the point of view of a guy who has no experience with X1, X3, X5, or Sansa players.

When I first got my iBasso DX50, it had sorting issues (that I believe in my opinion are) associated with FAT32.  Prior to my DX50 using exFAT uSD cards, I had to use a program called copy in order.  Or something like that.  Once I bought an exFAT card.  No more sorting issues.  So I haven't even thought about it in over a year or more.

The link I provided at "TechMadePlain" is from a guy trying to use USB memory sticks with a car stereo.  Which indicated to me that the FAT32 sorting is a large scale problem, not just M3 or DX50.  And whilst trying to find the link to DriveSort, I found a number of different FAT32 sorting programs. One was even called, "Yet Another FAT Sorter".  Or something like that.  So again, I jumped to the conclusion that it has been a long term, wide scale problem.

With respect to the Sansa players.  I was planning on buying one.  That was my target when I decided I needed a small, inexpensive music player.  I was going to get a Clip+ and even learn how to rockbox it.  

Here is MY evaluation of that search:  Sansa Clip and Clip+ are no longer available, or if you can find them, they are running $89 USD.  Too expensive.  Therefore, cheap IS an excuse on that.  Looked at Clip Sport and Clip Jam.  But reading up on it, others are saying that they don't have the sound quality of the legacy Clips.  AND the new Clips cannot be RockBox'd.  That is when Amazon suggested to me the Fiio M3 and Xduoo X2.  Quick research indicated that the clip sport and clip jam used the same SoC as the M3.  I just wasn't feeling the new Clip lineup, so I quickly compared the M3 and Xduoo and decided on the M3.  I normally take too much time to research and read, but I was in a hurry.  So I pulled the trigger on the M3 and enjoy it quite a bit.

So my question to anyone who cares to answer is this.  IF the M3 and the new Clip products use the same SoC...  
Do the current models of the Clip (sport, jam, whatever) have file sorting issues?

Aug 15, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #1,811 of 2,001
  Just wondering if there will be any FW updates for the M3 soon

TheoS53,

Our engineers are working on the new FW version of M3 now. 

So sorry to keep you waiting.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 15, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #1,812 of 2,001
  TheoS53,

No worries. Thanks for replying and for the info. I know you guys have other devices and projects that take priority over the M3

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #1,813 of 2,001
  TheoS53,

That's good news. Something to look forward to. Thanks.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back