FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Jun 18, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #1,651 of 2,001
The 64GB mSD in my M3 is nearly full. Some have said it can take a 128GB mSD. The problem with that, it seems, is that there is a 4000 song limit. But someone said that that limit only applies to the song/album/artist scrolling views, and not to the folder view.

Did I get that right? Can anyone confirm that a 128GB card can be used in the M3, so long as one uses folder scrolling mode?

I have 4.8 GB left on my mSD, and that's with 3403 songs, so I'm only a few albums of FLACs away from needing more space for my carry-around.

Jun 18, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #1,652 of 2,001
Well, I just plugged my 200gb card into my M3, and it seems to have no issue playing that card, so I suspect you will have no problems with a 128gb card.

Jun 18, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #1,653 of 2,001

Thanks, Saoshyant,

Then I'll be replacing my 64GB mSD with a 200GB! Good to hear. But please let me know, is that 200GB card pretty much full of music, or does it at least have more than 4000 songs on it?

Pete

Jun 18, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #1,654 of 2,001
It has about 130gb on it and is just shy of 10,000 various files on there.  So, there will be some random files in there that are not music, but not many.

I will note I always choose my music via folders, so in that respect you might have issue.

Jun 18, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #1,655 of 2,001

Cheers.

I prefer scrolling through Folders too, rather than albums/song titles/or singers, so this is good news about 200GB mSDs being fine for that on the FiiO M3.

These 200GB mSD cards cost about 85 USD, and only SanDisk have that high a capacity so far, is that right?

Pete

Jun 18, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #1,656 of 2,001
I've yet to see a company I trust besides SanDisk release one.  My only issue is I'll have to go back and remember to mark the 96k & 192k folders so I don't try to listen to those.  This card has mainly been in either my gen 1 X5 or xDuoo X3, so I haven't really put much thought into my folder names in that respect.  For something portable that can play 96 & 192, I'm kind of tempted to try Cowon's newer small Dap, but then again the xDuoo X3 is certainly portable enough for my needs.  And neither of those will be as light and conveniently sized as the M3.

Jun 18, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #1,657 of 2,001
I only have a couple of albums in 192, so I had to ask for some advice on Head-Fi and ended up working out how to convert them to playable FLACS. I ended up using XLD cor Mac OS X.

Had the FiiO M3 about a month, and I'm falling in love with music again! Listening very much every day, ripped my CD collection, buying more too, and even downloaded from Chesky Records and HDTracks. My 2002 iPod with MP3s just ruined my music listening experience for me. But now the FiiO M3 even sounds better than my Sony CD portable player (DNE-241), which somewhat rescued listening to recorded music for me in recent years.

If I get another DAP one day, I would want a cleaner, more analytic, less warm sound. Any suggestions? Of course, it would have to be able to at least match the M3 in card capacity.

Jun 18, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #1,658 of 2,001
Sigh, it crashes after adding a few albums

UPDATE: I tried a different USB port and it appears to be working now, hope this helps someone in the future.

Ok so I got it to work, I was worried that it would only play single folders at a time, but i just restarted it and had it update the library and now I can shuffle them all. Woot!

Some things I would have changed if I was Fiio:

a) Being able to wake up the screen by hitting any button (though I guess this will save battery life)
b) Have volume on the sides, it's really awkward while you are running/walking, or just have the buttons on Top and the screen underneath, I guess I will hold it upside-down.
c) Doesn't appear that I can go straight to an artists albums from just one random song, I was able to do that on the Fuze+ and then listen to a certain bands discography after being in random shuffle.
d) Find a way to display the time, after all it is for fitness no? What if you don't take your phone with you

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #1,659 of 2,001
  Hi Bloody Penguin,

Like the look of your iem case for use with an M3. What case is it (brand/model)?

Pete

I did not see your post.  Next time you can either quote me or type in: @BloodyPenguin and it will notify me that you are trying to get my attention. 

The little white case I bought on Amazon, but I looked just now and the seller does not have them listed anymore.  I looked on eBay and did not see it there either.  If I find it, I will send you a PM.

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #1,660 of 2,001
@BloodyPenguin

Thanks for telling me about quoting someone, or adding the atmark to their handle. 

I got a nice little case with my JVC iems (HA-FXZ200), but the case is a bit too dinky for the FiiO M3. Yes please, let me know if you see the same one you have selling elsewhere.

Cheers!

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #1,661 of 2,001
@BloodyPenguin

Thanks for telling me about quoting someone, or adding the atmark to their handle. 

I got a nice little case with my JVC iems (HA-FXZ200), but the case is a bit too dinky for the FiiO M3. Yes please, let me know if you see the same one you have selling elsewhere.

Cheers!

There are many nice cases that will hold the M3 and iem's, I posted several some pages back. My fave is the little black pill shaped one:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: My M3 fits perfect into my Auri Rockets leather pouch with the Rockets:thumbsup:

Search iem cases and you'll find a nice one for your needs:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jun 19, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #1,663 of 2,001
Listening to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway on my FiiO M3. This and other albums where songs should flow into each other are marred by the M3, which leaves a gap between tracks. Moreover, I've noticed a high-pitched 'peep' between tracks too! Oh dear. 

Is there anything to do to make album playback gapless (and beepless) on the M3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back