FiiO M23, AK4191EQ+AK4499EX, THX AAA-78+, Dual Type-C Ports, Dual-Core Fast Charging, 1000mW+1000mW @32Ω
Apr 2, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #106 of 257
Great, thanks.
You’re welcome. Here, from the official M23 page as well.

1712090913426.png

Apr 2, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #107 of 257
Leather case only comes with the Stainless Steel version and it costs €929. Totally not worth it imo, there’s better priced DAPs out there. This one is overpriced compared to competition.
I see it on sale here for same price as the blue https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr41jCQ
Or is this a scam listing?

Apr 2, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #108 of 257
I get you for sure and I would normally hate that sort of thing as well.

I have the LTD and ESS models of the M11 Plus and the ESS has the carbon look on the volume rocker and it looks fine to me, I don't even think about it.

I certainly wouldn’t let it put me off if everything else suited your preferences.

IMG_0365.jpeg
Yeah I see what you’re saying but when everyone asks the same question I have to tell them it’s fake haha. I just wish fake carbon fiber wasn’t a thing on stuff like this. It’s like wearing fake jewellery

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #109 of 257
You’re welcome. Here, from the official M23 page as well.

This graph was the reason I asked actually.

They show that unlike local playback streaming apps go through Android's system decoding library. This doesn't make it clear if the decoded signal stays bit perfect. They say no resampling and "much closer" to original but don't claim bit perfect, which implies more than just no resampling.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #110 of 257
Apple Music is not bit perfect via USB. The volume is still enabled on the FiiO M11S. I even asked FiiO about this. At the time, I reported about the lack of bit perfect in Apple Music and they released an update to make the DAC's sample rate keep up with Apple Music, but that's all that has changed so far. I use a Topping D70S DAC.

OK thanks.

The net result is for all practical purposes the same though.

I defy anybody to hear a difference between the same song off Tidal (BP) and Apple Music (Not BP) comparing FLAC vs ALAC just because it has passed through some part of the FiiO hardware and software.

I know some people will say they can but some say they hear the difference with a Rhodium plated plug.

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #111 of 257
This graph was the reason I asked actually.

They show that unlike local playback streaming apps go through Android's system decoding library. This doesn't make it clear if the decoded signal stays bit perfect. They say no resampling and "much closer" to original but don't claim bit perfect, which implies more than just no resampling.
The “decoder” just decodes whatever format is being played. Resampling comes after which is done by the “resampler” which DAP manufacturers implement themselves in order to have bit-perfect playback. The picture shows “System Decoder” because when you use a streaming app, the app does the decoding and the app decides whether audio is resampled or not. For eg. if you use Apple Music with High-Res Lossless, the app will decode the ALAC format and send it to the output without resampling it. Similarly your Spotify app will decode the MP3 format it’s playing and send the 320kbps audio as it is without resampling.

You are worrying too much. There are 100s of DAPs with resampling bypass released in the last years, many of them made by FiiO too. Is this your first DAP ?

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:43 AM Post #112 of 257
The “decoder” just decodes whatever format is being played. Resampling comes after which is done by the “resampler” which DAP manufacturers implement themselves in order to have bit-perfect playback. The picture shows “System Decoder” because when you use a streaming app, the app does the decoding and the app decides whether audio is resampled or not. For eg. if you use Apple Music with High-Res Lossless, the app will decode the ALAC format and send it to the output without resampling it. Similarly your Spotify app will decode the MP3 format it’s playing and send the 320kbps audio as it is without resampling.

You are worrying too much. There are 100s of DAPs with resampling bypass released in the last years, many of them made by FiiO too. Is this your first DAP ?
Thanks for your replies. Please note, my question is not regarding resampling, but regarding bit perfect. Even if not resampled the signal can still be not-bit-perfect: dithering, digital volume, DSP, data compression - all alter the signal digitally.

I am not worrying, I am buying the M23 anyway. It's just the geek curiosity in me. The answer wouldn't change anything since I personally don't hear any notable difference between bit perfect or not, and resampled or not. Again, just curiosity on an exact question.

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #113 of 257
How does the Fiio M23 compare to the HiBy R6 Pro II in terms of sound quality? I am sure both are really excellent and there aren't any big differences, still what are the pros and cons? I haven't used a dap for several years so my knowledge is not updated, would appreciate your perspective.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 3:19 AM Post #114 of 257
How does the Fiio M23 compare to the HiBy R6 Pro II in terms of sound quality? I am sure both are really excellent and there aren't any big differences, still what are the pros and cons? I haven't used a dap for several years so my knowledge is not updated, would appreciate your perspective.
I'll be comparing the two when a demo is available.

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #115 of 257
So did anyone order this yet? I’m considering it but I’m not sure if I should order from Aliexpress, worried if something goes wrong with the player do I have to pay a ridiculous shipping charge from Australia. @FiiO what warranty do you offer and do I pay return shipping if the player has some kind of issue?

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #116 of 257
So did anyone order this yet? I’m considering it but I’m not sure if I should order from Aliexpress, worried if something goes wrong with the player do I have to pay a ridiculous shipping charge from Australia. @FiiO what warranty do you offer and do I pay return shipping if the player has some kind of issue?
Not exactly sure how that would work through Aliexpress although I would be sure to purchase from Fiio directly. Here in the States they referred me back to the seller (who was Fiio authorized) for help. They didn't step up and Fiio stepped in and took care of the problem. Luckily they had a mfr. rep in California so they had me return the device to him for an exchange.

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #117 of 257
Warranty for all electronics is normally regional only, unless explicitly stated as international warranty. So if you buy from China, you’ll have to ship it back to China for any repairs etc. Whether the shipping cost will be covered depends on the seller, not the manufacturer. You need to check the terms and conditions of AliExpress.

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #118 of 257
The seller almost never pays shipping in my experience. Sometimes you get lucky and they pay one direction, but I certainly wouldn't expect it.

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #119 of 257
The seller almost never pays shipping in my experience. Sometimes you get lucky and they pay one direction, but I certainly wouldn't expect it.
In 99% of the cases you pay shipping back for warranty service and they pay to ship it to you again. The two inconveniences compared to a local/international warranty are that this adds one way shipping costs and about 2 weeks extra time. Often the local price is higher though, which leaves the 2 extra weeks waiting as the only inconvenience, in case you ever need warranty service.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #120 of 257
Thanks for the replies guys. Might just wait for it to pop up locally. Also probably good idea to wait for some reviews too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back