[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Apr 22, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #181 of 5,690
Can you please elaborate what you mean here? A digital only M17, meaning without amplifier and DACs does not have to inherit from M17 but the simplest entry level DAP. Even you could go for something like this plus your mobile phone.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Nobsound-Converter-Coaxial-Optical-Interface/dp/B0779S6NC6

Sure ,

I use Fiio M11 coax out to my DAC/Preamp device in my car audio system , In general; most DAP users think that using a DAP in car is wasting but it is not .

My Preamp has USB/ Coax/ RCA/ Optical/ Bluetooth / Hi level Inputs. ( no AES/XLR and no BNC ) ( it also can not open MQA or DSD as well but accepts max 32/192 Flac files.
So I need the best possible bitperfect signal to the preamp.

As the Signal has to be turned back to Digital ( ADAC) to be processed for time alignment / Phase issues / dealing Reflections and active crossing filters , Sending an untouched digital signal is better compared to an analog signal which needs to pass EM waves and corners in a car environment. Final stage will be DAC to power amps.

Generally as the preamp is in trunk , We need to supply the signal minimum 3 meters away without loosing any of its properties.
The DAPs are our best friends in terms of supplying the best digital out signals to our preamp/DSP devices in car audio setups. As they are run with Battery / Handy size allow us to place them close to driver position , Phone control also possible for pure modes.

I must say I have lately changed to a better 3.5 mm 4 pin jack for the coax output of Fiio M11, and everything has to start from the beginning due to change in the sound .

Having said that a RCA coax is far better compared to 3.5 mm coax out as you can use factory made RCAs and no soldering will be needed.

My system sounds very different if I plug in a Chi-fi DAP from coax/usb or from a moderate DAP M11 or from a UAPP installed LG V30+ ,

FYI: I also tried Ipad+Toping D10S Coax out to DSP resulting very good but nowhere near M11 coax out to preamp.

As per my tests , there is no difference in case its 3.5 mm coax out from Fiio M11 / M11 Pro / M15 ; I doubt it will be from Ibasso DX 300 due to same 3.5 mm coax limitation.

So I look forward for M17 with RCA Coax out possibility.

M17 with no analog capabilities will be much more efficient for all car audio users and of course costing far less then today with huge battery life.

PS: selamlar & sevgiler

Apr 22, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #182 of 5,690
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #183 of 5,690
Anyone have any clue as to what the retail price might be for the M17?
I can hardly wait for it's release.

Apr 22, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #184 of 5,690
Sure ,

I use Fiio M11 coax out to my DAC/Preamp device in my car audio system , In general; most DAP users think that using a DAP in car is wasting but it is not .

My Preamp has USB/ Coax/ RCA/ Optical/ Bluetooth / Hi level Inputs. ( no AES/XLR and no BNC ) ( it also can not open MQA or DSD as well but accepts max 32/192 Flac files.
So I need the best possible bitperfect signal to the preamp.

As the Signal has to be turned back to Digital ( ADAC) to be processed for time alignment / Phase issues / dealing Reflections and active crossing filters , Sending an untouched digital signal is better compared to an analog signal which needs to pass EM waves and corners in a car environment. Final stage will be DAC to power amps.

Generally as the preamp is in trunk , We need to supply the signal minimum 3 meters away without loosing any of its properties.
The DAPs are our best friends in terms of supplying the best digital out signals to our preamp/DSP devices in car audio setups. As they are run with Battery / Handy size allow us to place them close to driver position , Phone control also possible for pure modes.

I must say I have lately changed to a better 3.5 mm 4 pin jack for the coax output of Fiio M11, and everything has to start from the beginning due to change in the sound .

Having said that a RCA coax is far better compared to 3.5 mm coax out as you can use factory made RCAs and no soldering will be needed.

My system sounds very different if I plug in a Chi-fi DAP from coax/usb or from a moderate DAP M11 or from a UAPP installed LG V30+ ,

FYI: I also tried Ipad+Toping D10S Coax out to DSP resulting very good but nowhere near M11 coax out to preamp.

As per my tests , there is no difference in case its 3.5 mm coax out from Fiio M11 / M11 Pro / M15 ; I doubt it will be from Ibasso DX 300 due to same 3.5 mm coax limitation.

So I look forward for M17 with RCA Coax out possibility.

M17 with no analog capabilities will be much more efficient for all car audio users and of course costing far less then today with huge battery life.

PS: selamlar & sevgiler

Selamlar :)

I agree with not using the analogue output of your DAP when you have a better DAC in your system and you want it to pass through a DSP . What I meant is that the whole point of M17 is the amplifier and the DACs which sets it apart from the competition and you shouldn't need such a high end portable device with a sophisticated analogue section, only for the purpose of a digital output. Also that device doesn't need to inherit from M17. I also don't know what causes that difference from different RCA outs (jitter? induced noise?).

Anyway... I am mostly excited about this device because of its amplifier, and that I like the software platform of FiiO. But still, a digital out only device might be interesting for many that use DAPs as transports. Maybe there is already another "module", like the one I sent that gives a coax performance as you like, so one doesn't have to pay for the amplifier and DAC implementations of a high end DAP like M17.

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #186 of 5,690
Apr 26, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #187 of 5,690
Anyone have any clue as to what the retail price might be for the M17?
I can hardly wait for it's release.

Sorry the M17 is still under developing and the cost is not decided and we also need to consider that everyday the cost of most ICs is changing, but our target is not more than 2300USD.

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 26, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #188 of 5,690
Sorry the M17 is still under developing and the cost is not decided and we also need to consider that everyday the cost of most ICs is changing, but our target is not expensive than 2300USD.
oh, 2300.... looks really high price.

I thought to change kann alpha for it (1100), m15 costs 1500, so m17 will be great for 1800, or 2000 max, but for 2300 I will think if it is reasonable

Apr 26, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #190 of 5,690
Hi Guys,

I was a happy owner of the M11 and have upgraded to M11 Pro ( I thought I didn't need to go all way up to the M 15 as I read some reviews saying the sound signature of the M11 Pro was even better than the M 15) But as I have upgraded my phones - using Stax Sr 007 L 300, Focal Clear and Audeze LCD XC, I think these cans deserve a better DAP/DAC ( I don't need amplification as I use the Stax energizer and a Schiit Magni 3) and when on the go with the M11 I mostly use IEMs as the V14 and L3. I have tried A&K in the past but didn't like it - prefer the Android convenience and big screens, not to say for me they are overpriced because of the design.
My question is: Is it worth changing the M11 Pro for the new Ibasso Dx 300 or wait for the M 17? ( if it will be over 2k will not consider it anyway). Regarding the known specs for how it will be the M17, if compared to the Dx 300 which is better? So far I am amazed about a 6.3 port as I could drive the Audeze without a need of adaptor or amp if needed....but also heard some people talking about the reliability, quality issues with iBasso daps. With Fiio I never had any issue and I am very happy with the quality.
Any thoughts? thank you

Apr 26, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #191 of 5,690
He is totally deluded if he thinks $2,300 is not expensive!
I don’t think James meant that $2,300 isn’t expensive. I believe, he meant was that it wouldn’t go over $2,300.

Apr 26, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #192 of 5,690
Is it worth changing the M11 Pro for the new Ibasso Dx 300 or wait for the M 17?
This [M17] has been well described to be more akin to a transportable all-in-one compact desktop dap+dac+amp .... m11 pro or plus are solidly "a DAP" ... and to me the DX300 seems to be something in between.

The manufacturer has said that the role the M17 is playing in the lineup is not a replacement for the M15. So a comparison to an M11pro/+ is an even further departure from apples to apples.

So all that said to you and all who asked this same question before and the dozens to hundreds who will ask it again, only YOU can answer if you need a very portable pocketable DAP, or you need something that is more than that.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #194 of 5,690
I think around $1800-$2000 is a decent price for a "DX220 Max type" of player. I would probably be more used to the M17 becuase it will have more functional buttons unlike the DX220 Max, not to mention different output options, 2.5mm, 3.5mm, 4.4mm and 1/4 inch socket.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #195 of 5,690
This [M17] has been well described to be more akin to a transportable all-in-one compact desktop dap+dac+amp .... m11 pro or plus are solidly "a DAP" ... and to me the DX300 seems to be something in between.

The manufacturer has said that the role the M17 is playing in the lineup is not a replacement for the M15. So a comparison to an M11pro/+ is an even further departure from apples to apples.

So all that said to you and all who asked this same question before and the dozens to hundreds who will ask it again, only YOU can answer if you need a very portable pocketable DAP, or you need something that is more than that.
Great answer. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back