[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Jan 11, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #2,116 of 5,692
In addition to the confirmation button, it's also difficult to do a direct A/B because when entering enhanced mode, there seems to be a brief reduction in output before it's fully activated - maybe to for protection. Although it's brief, I find this process basically "erases" auditory memory of non-enhanced mode, or at least renders it highly unreliable. From what I hear, though, enhanced mode only adds a few DB of output, but seems to generate better (faster) dynamics and cleaner (more articulate) bass. It almost seems to act like a very subtle "loudness" feature (i.e., DSP loudness).

Any detailed info from @JamesFiiO about what's going on in enhanced mode would be interesting to read.
More power, more bass and sub bass I think

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #2,117 of 5,692
In addition to the confirmation button, it's also difficult to do a direct A/B because when entering enhanced mode, there seems to be a brief reduction in output before it's fully activated - maybe to for protection. Although it's brief, I find this process basically "erases" auditory memory of non-enhanced mode, or at least renders it highly unreliable. From what I hear, though, enhanced mode only adds a few DB of output, but seems to generate better (faster) dynamics and cleaner (more articulate) bass. It almost seems to act like a very subtle "loudness" feature (i.e., DSP loudness).

Any detailed info from @JamesFiiO about what's going on in enhanced mode would be interesting to read.

It is quite simple, in the Enhanced mode,

1, M17 is powered by extra DC power, there will be difference in SQ between battery power and DC power. usually we will say that the DC has unlimited power so the dynamic will be better and bass will be more impact.

2, Once the Enhanced Mode is actived, the voltage of the THX788+ will increase from ±8V to ± 11.5V so the power output will be bigger and most headphones will benefit from more headroom and better control.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 11, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #2,118 of 5,692
also for some OP AMP , usually the SQ will be better when it works at higher voltage . sometimes this is the important reason why the desktop headphones amp will have better SQ even the output power is the same as a portable headphone amp.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 11, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #2,119 of 5,692

There is a quite easy way to make a fast A/B comparison :
1) using Neuron player with a EQ by increasing the correct amount of volume level (more or less 3db) to compensate the sound level pressure between the two modes
2) using the right bottom switch, going from enhanced audio mode (switch position down) to simple headphone mode (switch position up) and not the opposite to avoid screen confirmation.
3) then switching at the same time the audio mode (down to up) and activating the Neutron's EQ makes an instant A/B comparison.

Till now, I couldn't catch the 95db SINAD degradation, but I think this can be "true" and totally compatible with JamesFIIO remarks

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #2,120 of 5,692

1, M17 is powered by extra DC power, there will be difference in SQ between battery power and DC power. usually we will say that the DC has unlimited power so the dynamic will be better and bass will be more impact.

2, Once the Enhanced Mode is actived, the voltage of the THX788+ will increase from ±8V to ± 11.5V so the power output will be bigger and most headphones will benefit from more headroom and better control.
Thanks, that makes sense. I think this is one reason why it's good to have a few headphones to use with the M17 for different situations - not only those that "scale up" with DC power and benefit from Enhanced mode, but also those that are driven to their full potential on battery mode alone, so that one doesn't have to feel tethered to DC power.

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #2,121 of 5,692
There is a quite easy way to make a fast A/B comparison :
1) using Neuron player with a EQ by increasing the correct amount of volume level (more or less 3db) to compensate the sound level pressure between the two modes
2) using the right bottom switch, going from enhanced audio mode (switch position down) to simple headphone mode (switch position up) and not the opposite to avoid screen confirmation.
3) then switching at the same time the audio mode (down to up) and activating the Neutron's EQ makes an instant A/B comparison.

Till now, I couldn't catch the 95db SINAD degradation, but I think this can be "true"
That's a good idea. Will try later.

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #2,122 of 5,692
Personally, I quite enjoy the m17 on battery. However, given the footprint of the unit, I use it plugged in and on my desk like 99% of the time anyway.

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #2,123 of 5,692
Thanks, that makes sense. I think this is one reason why it's good to have a few headphones to use with the M17 for different situations - not only those that "scale up" with DC power and benefit from Enhanced mode, but also those that are driven to their full potential on battery mode alone, so that one doesn't have to feel tethered to DC power.
So headphone with low impedance and high sensitivity

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #2,124 of 5,692
So headphone with low impedance and high sensitivity
Yes, in my case for portable/battery mode, I use Meze Liric mostly. Enhanced mode does enhance the presentation of sound with the Liric, but not to the extent of more demanding headphones like the HD800s or ZMF VC. And I don't feel the Liric is in any sense "lacking" on battery mode. That works fine for me, because I would only use the more demanding headphones in a stationary situation rather than, say, on the U-Bahn....

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #2,125 of 5,692
Not disturbed at all, but interested in understanding how you came to that conclusion about 95 dB. What is it? 95 dBSPL? SINAD? How did you measure it? If it is SPL, which headphone? I checked if you have any posts in open-end-music but I couldn't see any. German is fine.

Not all is on my playing field (the Open end music) 😉

Only one Track has the license to kill

NOMAX

PS.to find where is the problem with the Headphone or with gadget (Amp/dap)
Lol

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #2,126 of 5,692
Yes, in my case for portable/battery mode, I use Meze Liric mostly. Enhanced mode does enhance the presentation of sound with the Liric, but not to the extent of more demanding headphones like the HD800s or ZMF VC. And I don't feel the Liric is in any sense "lacking" on battery mode. That works fine for me, because I would only use the more demanding headphones in a stationary situation rather than, say, on the U-Bahn....
Sure, for high impedance or demanding headphone, I think better a desktop amp. For Liric and, example, Fostex, M17 has everything you need

Jan 11, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #2,127 of 5,692
And in my experience Davy usually responds “I’m already in touch with DAP developers on subj, no additional help needed”.

Behemothkat... I think UAPP's Davy is requesting that infamous file :). If you were able to grab this, let's see what he can do. Send him an email.

More details rom Davy:
No internal audio is supported on the M17 atm, PCM, DSD, MQA. All gets resampled.
USB DAC is unaffected of course since that completely bypasses Android.

If you have a M17, then I'd look to see the dumpsys media.audio_flinger output of the FiiO player playing a 44.1kHz track.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #2,128 of 5,692

I'm still a bit confused by the Enhanced mode, as if there was only the battery mode and the Enhanced mode.

From my understanding, there are three current modes available :

Battery mode (with 4 gains) => ±8V
DC mode (with 4 gains...the 5th being the enhanced mode) => ±8V ???
DC mode with enhanced mode gain activated ! => ± 11.5V

Is that correct ?

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #2,130 of 5,692
Music Players with EQ like Neutron or UAPP both with PEQ .. we have to wait a little bit for new version compatible with bit perfect with DSD.
Update: Neutron DSD support corrections for M17 were finalized today. Dmitry will upload new build on website and to Play Store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back