[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Mar 22, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #3,331 of 5,692
I have a question: the back of M17 is made of plastic or is it made of tempered glass? 🤔
Tempered glass.:) And a protector has been applied in the back panel as well.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 22, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #3,332 of 5,692
@FiiO or anyone else: is there any advantage to using 4.4 balanced over 2.2?
Theoretically, the sound quality is same for 2.5/4.4mm output if you are using a same device.
But the contact area of the 4.4 port is larger so the connection could be firmer.
According to the questionnaire from our M11PlusLTD users, users prefer to use 4.4mm headphone comparing with the 2.5mm one.

Best regards

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 22, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #3,333 of 5,692
I'm really confused. How can I play MQA HiRes tracks in 8x mode (aka 384khz) from TIDAL Master on DAP mode?!
When I'm playing it, it really often shows 44,1khz and sometimes 96khz only...

Help :frowning2:
If you are referring to sample rate showing at notification area, it shows original MQA sample rate. If you can see the MQA symbol there along with sample rate, that means DAP is getting MQA stream and doing further unfolding.

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #3,334 of 5,692
If you are referring to sample rate showing at notification area, it shows original MQA sample rate. If you can see the MQA symbol there along with sample rate, that means DAP is getting MQA stream and doing further unfolding.
Ok got it! Thx for this information. So, it means that most of Tidal master tracks are 44 khz on original MQA sample rate?! I don't understand what is the difference with "only" HIFI quality tracks, supposed to be CD Quality (44khz)?

Mar 22, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #3,336 of 5,692
Ok got it! Thx for this information. So, it means that most of Tidal master tracks are 44 khz on original MQA sample rate?! I don't understand what is the difference with "only" HIFI quality tracks, supposed to be CD Quality (44khz)?
Size file to stream ...
MQA is not a lossless hires codec, but mostly a compression codec to save data to be transmitted by streamers, in a way like a better LDAC for bluetooth transmission (which are stored on the servers already with a better compression than an on the fly compression)..

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #3,337 of 5,692

Mar 23, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #3,338 of 5,692
Quick Impressions: FiiO M17

So I have been testing the FiiO M17 DAP for a few days now, using mostly my Empire Ears Legend EVOs and the Focal Utopia. I find the Focal Utopia largely neutral and the EVOs warm of neutral. The cables I used are the Creator Cable for the Legend EVO here. This is a high-end cable very popular in Asia, particularly in Japan. Bought mine from Jaben Thailand.

IMG_2659.jpeg

The cable is I used with the Utopia is the Litsa copper cable from Headgear Audio here. This is another ridiculously premium-feeling cable at less-than-premium prices. It's a strikingly beautiful cable. Thank goodness for lower costs of manufacturing in India (but no compromise on quality, in this case).

IMG_2643.JPEG

I have of course, used this IEM and headphone with other cables, so I can mitigate for any influence they impart on the impressions that follow. In any case, enough chatter about the chain and cables.

So how does the FiiO M17 sound?

IMG_2652.JPEG

To someone uninitiated with how FiiO DAP sounds, in short, I have been positively surprised and very impressed. This DAP ruins other DAPs for me mostly because the images are so incredibly large. My Utopia sounds massive, as does the Legend EVO.

Other impressions:
1. I don't find it bright or analytical at all. I have had friends criticize FiiO IEMs but I am told FiiO DAPs have a different presentation. My experience with FiiO IEMs are limited.
2. The Utopia sounds less analytical off the M17 than on my desktop chain: Holo May - Primaluna EVO 400 Preamp - Ferrum OOR and Hypsos. In fact, I find the Utopia neutral to warm off the M17. I understand there are divergent perspectives on whether the M17 is a bright-leaning DAP or a warm-leaning DAP, and my impression is that it is on the euphonic and lush side, without being overtly warm.
3. The treble is well-behaved (noticeably), without sacrificing clarity or detail.

IMG_2651.JPEG

4. The midrange is the star of the show. Vocals sound spookily real.
5. The bass hits very hard. The presentation is very dynamic. For those of you who have heard the Ferrum stack, you will know that this stack sets a very high bar for dynamic impact / slam, but the M17 will still impress you. With regard to macrodynamics, the M17 is also very impressive with how quickly and authoritatively it handles transitions from quieter to louder passages in a track.
6. In terms of technical performance, the M17 is as resolving as full-blown desktop setups, very macrodynamically proficient as already discussed, and also has a very natural timbre. But soundstage and imaging are where it shames the competition, because the imaging here is so massive, that it is the most immersive experience I have had on a DAP. Just wow. Large, fleshed-out, lifelike images, razor-sharp, being dropped in their appropriate places all around you, with great layering, giving you a concert-like feeling. FiiO's catch-phrase for this DAP should be "Your Favorite Concerts in your Pocket".

Of course, this is not a pocketable DAP. It is scandalously chonky - at 610 grams - but I love it. After using it for as long as I have, my SP2000T feels dimunitive. I don't mind the weight at all and am quite comfortable carrying it to my recliner or listening to it whilst lying down.

For further context, I own an Astell&Kern A&ultima SP2000T. I love this DAP. I find it largely neutral with a clean, crisp presentation, with outstanding highs, great bass extension, and impressive staging width and depth. It is also very resolving. In addition to the SP2000T, I have also owned a Kann Alpha and have had extended listening sessions with the DX300, the Hiby R6, and the Shanling M8.

I prefer the M17 to all the aforementioned DAPs other than the SP2000T. I don't yet prefer the M17 over the SP2000T or the other way round, possibly because I have over time developed a liking for the clear and crisp highs of the SP2000T. But I'll say this: the M17 sounds more lifelike with its staging and imaging than the SP2000T.

And last but not the least: the O/S is very snappy - snappiest I have come across on a DAP. The screen is large and very easy to use. Love streaming off it.

So that's it for now.

Very impressed.

Well-done @FiiO.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #3,339 of 5,692

So I have been testing the FiiO M17 DAP for a few days now, using mostly my Empire Ears Legend EVOs and the Focal Utopia. I find the Focal Utopia largely neutral and the EVOs warm of neutral. The cables I used are the Creator Cable for the Legend EVO here. This is a high-end cable very popular in Asia, particularly in Japan. Bought mine from Jaben Thailand.

IMG_2659.jpeg

The cable is I used with the Utopia is the Litsa copper cable from Headgear Audio here. This is another ridiculously premium-feeling cable at less-than-premium prices. It's a strikingly beautiful cable. Thank goodness for lower costs of manufacturing in India (but no compromise on quality, in this case).

IMG_2643.JPEG

I have of course, used this IEM and headphone with other cables, so I can mitigate for any influence they impart on the impressions that follow. In any case, enough chatter about the chain and cables.

IMG_2652.JPEG

To someone uninitiated with how FiiO DAP sounds, in short, I have been positively surprised and very impressed. This DAP ruins other DAPs for me mostly because the images are so incredibly large. My Utopia sounds massive, as does the Legend EVO.

Other impressions:
1. I don't find it bright or analytical at all. I have had friends criticize FiiO IEMs but I am told FiiO DAPs have a different presentation. My experience with FiiO IEMs are limited.
2. The Utopia sounds less analytical off the M17 than on my desktop chain: Holo May - Primaluna EVO 400 Preamp - Ferrum OOR and Hypsos. In fact, I find the Utopia neutral to warm off the M17. I understand there are divergent perspectives on whether the M17 is a bright-leaning DAP or a warm-leaning DAP, and my impression is that it is on the euphonic and lush side, without being overtly warm.
3. The treble is well-behaved (noticeably), without sacrificing clarity or detail.

IMG_2651.JPEG

5. The bass hits very hard. The presentation is very dynamic. For those of you who have heard the Ferrum stack, you will know that this stack sets a very high bar for dynamic impact / slam, but the M17 will still impress you. With regard to macrodynamics, the M17 is also very impressive with how quickly and authoritatively it handles transitions from quieter to louder passages in a track.
6. In terms of technical performance, the M17 is as resolving as full-blown desktop setups, very macrodynamically proficient as already discussed, and also has a very natural timbre. But soundstage and imaging are where it shames the competition, because the imaging here is so massive, that it is the most immersive experience I have had on a DAP. Just wow. Large, fleshed-out, lifelike images, razor-sharp, being dropped in their appropriate places all around you, with great layering, giving you a concert-like feeling. FiiO's catch-phrase for this DAP should be "Your Favorite Concerts in your Pocket".

Of course, this is not a pocketable DAP. It is scandalously chonky, but I love it. After using it for as long as I have, my SP2000T feels dimunitive.

For further context, I own an Astell&Kern A&ultima SP2000T. I love this DAP. I find it largely neutral with a clean, crisp presentation, with outstanding highs, great bass extension, and impressive staging width and depth. It is also very resolving. In addition to the SP2000T, I have also owned a Kann Alpha and have had extended listening sessions with the DX300, the Hiby R6, and the Shanling M8.

I prefer the M17 to all the aforementioned DAPs other than the SP2000T. I don't yet prefer the M17 over the SP2000T or the other way round, possibly because I have over time developed a liking for the clear and crisp highs of the SP2000T. But I'll say this: the M17 sounds more lifelike with its staging and imaging than the SP2000T.

And last but not the least: the O/S is very snappy - snappiest I have come across on a DAP. The screen is large and very easy to use. Love streaming off it.

So that's it for now.

Very impressed.

Well-done @FiiO.
Totally agree.

I have had almost all.the totl DAPs including the LP6TI and I would go so far as to say I prefer the M17, having never had a FiiO DAP ever.

I've used it on its own with probably the hardest to drive IEM, Fitear Creator DC Ti and it's the best match using M17's DC Mode. I've tried the M17 through the Ferrum stack and it's incredibly clean but not as warm as I'd like for my Grados.

So now I'm also using it as a source for my McIntosh MHA200 with Grado PS1000e and GS1000i, incredible.

Mar 23, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #3,340 of 5,692
Good News! A Set of Rubber Pads will Be Provided for Free for Each FiiO M17

5615402.png

Dear FiiO M17 users,
Along the way, we FiiO have been pursuing superior user experience. To achieve a more comfortable pressing feel of the physical buttons and better coordination of the leather case, we have designed a rubber pad made by a special mould for the leather case of the M17. It is sticky and reusable, which helps to easily press the buttons when the M17 wears a leather case, and fills the gap between the buttons and the case. Details show everything. Just contact the seller to get it.

Notes:
--Please provide valid proof of purchase of the FiiO M17 when contacting the seller.
--Each M17 will be provided with a set of rubber pads for free, in a total of 6 pieces.
--Whether the user should bear the freight charge will be determined by the corresponding seller.
--The final explanation of this event will be reserved by Guangzhou FiiO Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.

Best regards,
Guangzhou FiiO Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.
mine just arrived this morning, thank you @FiiO and the seller! it feels good when you touch the button now, my question is, is it safe enough for long term used, i mean the sticky side on m17? got 3 pairs of them.:beyersmile:

Attachments

• 20220323_185206.jpg
    20220323_185206.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220323_185254.jpg
    20220323_185254.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 23, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #3,341 of 5,692

IMG_2659.jpeg

IMG_2643.JPEG

IMG_2652.JPEG

Other impressions:

IMG_2651.JPEG

Of course, this is not a pocketable DAP. It is scandalously chonky - at 610 grams - but I love it. After using it for as long as I have, my SP2000T feels dimunitive. I don't mind the weight at all and am quite comfortable carrying it to my recliner or listening to it whilst lying down.

So that's it for now.

Very impressed.

Well-done @FiiO.

Its gets even better with more burn in, a good LPS and 4.4 balanced out.

Mar 23, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #3,343 of 5,692
I have the A&K SP2000 which I love and the M17. I don't love the M17 with my Focal Stellias, but I do love it with the Focal Clear. I totally agree that the image size is one of the best attributes. I also get a wider sound stage vs my A&K.

I do not find the M17 to be bright or analytical at all. It's not warm enough to make the Stellias listenable though; they sound anemic via the M17 to my ears.

I do think the M17 has become better with time. It sounds cleaner to my ears than it did over the first 100 hours or so.

Mar 24, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #3,344 of 5,692
mine just arrived this morning, thank you @FiiO and the seller! it feels good when you touch the button now, my question is, is it safe enough for long term used, i mean the sticky side on m17? got 3 pairs of them.:beyersmile:
Yes, please don't worry.

Best regards

Mar 24, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #3,345 of 5,692
The new firmware FW1.0.3 for M17 is now available!

M17-2022-3-24.jpg

Updated at 2022-03-24
The following changes and improvements have been made to the FW1.0.3 compared to the FW1.0.2 on M17:

1. Added a new function to disable battery charging (you can enable it in Settings-Battery);

2. Added a new function to hide the full screen indicator when using gesture navigation (you can enable it in Settings-Global-System navigation-Gesture navigation);

3. Added ambient light sync setting to synchronize the side ambient light with the knob indicator(you can enable it in Settings-Display-Indicator light control);

4. Added the volume adjusting mode shortcut icon in drop down menu (you can hold and drag it in the drop down menu-edit to add);

5. Added a new option to the multifunction button setting: Lock screen/Wake up;

6. Added more timers options for idle poweroff;

7. Added the option of 'Do not display again' in the pop-up window when All to DSD function is enabled;

8. Fixed the issue where the output would be error in USB 2.0 port when exclusive USB audio access mode is turned off;

9. Fixed the issue where the white noise might be heard while playing music in Bluetooth transmitting mode;

10. Miscellaneous improvements on performance.

M17 firmware download: Click here

How to upgrade the M17:Click here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back