[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Dec 6, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #1,231 of 5,692
DSD is another story. At least I remember UAPP didn't handle DSD256 (maybe also 128) on M15. But PCM data should not be an issue.

Also there was the question about MQA 16x. First of all, it is not at all needed. It is mostly a gimmick. Second, M17 does not support 768 kHz files. But as said, it is a gimmick.
Like I said, Uapp handled DSD when played via coaxial to my X45 (the x45 is fully supported by Uapp). APPS need to write the code to fully support the hardware.
Below how the different apps handle DSD in Android mode.
20211207_000539.jpg
20211207_000720.jpg
20211207_000837.jpg

Fiio Q5s also full supported by UAPP.

D09EB42D-DFDB-424D-92D8-9EFB8BB3C3B0.jpeg

So, I just tried UAPP playing via usb to the M17 In USB DAC mode. (No android)
it plays the DSD file untouched.
8A540AF5-557E-4B78-8208-559914B4C29A.jpeg

Spoke too soon, that was right after I unploughed the Q5s and ploughed into the M17, on closing and opening Uapp, it reverted back to file conversion so, the M17 is not supported as yet.

FB2C03C3-058C-495A-AA06-752501BE79B6.jpeg

Well, I can’t sleep so. I am running thorough tests.
I am officially baffled as to what’s going on here.
Now I see you, now I don’t, now I see you…
Excuse the quality of the video I am in bed with just my bedside table lamp as he light source.

Attachments

• 20211207_000837.jpg
    20211207_000837.jpg
    725.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #1,232 of 5,692
DSD is another story. At least I remember UAPP didn't handle DSD256 (maybe also 128) on M15. But PCM data should not be an issue.

Also there was the question about MQA 16x. First of all, it is not at all needed. It is mostly a gimmick. Second, M17 does not support 768 kHz files. But as said, it is a gimmick.
The M17 could support 768kHz file when using USB audio mode or working as USB DAC:
1638864036185.png

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 7, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #1,233 of 5,692
I am pondering whether to switch off from this thread.
Here is the thing, the noise the M17 makes is a fact. Wian from Fiio has admitted it down to the 20 - ish secons I said it takes the Amps to power off when idling .
Sadly, it is part of the M17 circuitry and, all units are affected (sorry, no special units out there).
Now, and with all due respect, I can’t in all honesty take the opinions of anyone who can’t hear what is a subtle but obvious circuit initialisation/offline noise, (be that because of your hearing or the Headphones/IEM’s you are using) with any degree of seriousness. If you can’t hear The M17 Amps circuits coming on and off, I can’t trust you to hear any other sound subtleties. No offence intended, just stating what some of you here are willingly admitting.

There may be some lost-in-translation confusion going on, but am I understanding the reply from Fiio correctly? They are stating that upon start up, the device can exhibit voltage interference for the first 20 seconds?

If so, a serious question: in what way does a slight noise/hum/whatever that exists for the first 20 seconds upon powering on the device detract from the overall performance of the device, other than being annoying for 20 seconds? How is that unacceptable in a battery-driven device handling a lot of power?

I’ve worked with quarter million dollar digital cameras that have similar voltage interference issues upon start up… most do, as a matter of fact. It kind of comes with the territory when you’re dealing with larger batteries pushing higher voltages and digital signal. And with cameras, the fun doesn’t always end there. Hell, some cameras can fry themselves if you don’t disconnect the monitor before changing the battery. Talk about annoying…

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #1,234 of 5,692
I am pondering whether to switch off from this thread.
Here is the thing, the noise the M17 makes is a fact. Wian from Fiio has admitted it down to the 20 - ish secons I said it takes the Amps to power off when idling .
Sadly, it is part of the M17 circuitry and, all units are affected (sorry, no special units out there).
Now, and with all due respect, I can’t in all honesty take the opinions of anyone who can’t hear what is a subtle but obvious circuit initialisation/offline noise, (be that because of your hearing or the Headphones/IEM’s you are using) with any degree of seriousness. If you can’t hear The M17 Amps circuits coming on and off, I can’t trust you to hear any other sound subtleties. No offence intended, just stating what some of you here are willingly admitting.
No need to get dramatic here IMHO... I'd be curious for you to test another unit though...

I understand that this is annoying to you and that it might affect all units but in all fairness we should get a more precise description of the conditions like volume levels and gain, headphone or IEM, nature of the file, application you use (FiiO Music, something else...), wether it happens in Android or Pure mode...

I for one am a very low volume listener (at meetups always 20-25% volume below others) with IEM/CIEMs and I used mainly Tidal 95% of the time so probably very different use case from you. I haven't hunted for this though by pushing volume and rolling through my entire collection.

Dec 7, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #1,235 of 5,692
There may be some lost-in-translation confusion going on, but am I understanding the reply from Fiio correctly? They are stating that upon start up, the device can exhibit voltage interference for the first 20 seconds?

If so, a serious question: in what way does a slight noise/hum/whatever that exists for the first 20 seconds upon powering on the device detract from the overall performance of the device, other than being annoying for 20 seconds? How is that unacceptable in a battery-driven device handling a lot of power?

I’ve worked with quarter million dollar digital cameras that have similar voltage interference issues upon start up… most do, as a matter of fact. It kind of comes with the territory when you’re dealing with larger batteries pushing higher voltages and digital signal. And with cameras, the fun doesn’t always end there. Hell, some cameras can fry themselves if you don’t disconnect the monitor before changing the battery. Talk about annoying…
Hi, i think you misunderstood what i mean.
There is no voltage interference, it’s just a slight pop sound, which only happens at the moment of the first time playing or when the playback is stopped. And it is not a continuous existence.

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 7, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #1,236 of 5,692
So... I have put my M17 to burn in on enhanced over ear mode for the night and the burn in must be accelerated because things are getting even better : wow !
Stage has opened and the frequency response is more balanced :)

Dec 7, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #1,237 of 5,692
Short notes:

- To see the current native sampling frequency, enable the "sample rate display" in options->display. It will display the correct frequency being played by the Qobuz. So it is not being resampled, as expected.
- Wavelet works! I can EQ the system audio stream.
- The hype is real. It is a very clean sounding device, with no harshness and the Stealth pairing is great (no extensive tests yet).
- I am yet to test the DC mode, but I need to work now. :)

Dec 7, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #1,238 of 5,692
So I received iFi Audio iPower Elite 12V/4A... not a big believer but now I am... this takes the M17 to quite another level!
The main thing I am hearing is a much faster delivery. Note attack is much snappier, bass is tighter and treble is much more refined which makes me think the battery can't push the M17 to its full potential, far from it... Stage also gains and is quite huge...

I have a big smile on my face :heart_eyes:

Totally worth the money... I was dubious and thought I'd need to focus to hear minute improvements but clearly not... wow

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #1,239 of 5,692
Wow, that was an awfully long wait. I created this thread (and then handed over to FiiO later) in February first time I heard about it, and since then I am waiting for this DAP, as it on the paper just the player I always wanted and never could find. I even sold my DAPs and was without one last couple of weeks. And it was worth it - big time.

Dec 7, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #1,240 of 5,692
So I received iFi Audio iPower Elite 12V/4A... not a big believer but now I am... this takes the M17 to quite another level!
I’m on it! Ordering one now. Thanks for your info and recommendation. Spending out this amount on a mains supply was hit and miss for me but since you’ve clarified I’m happy to get one now. Many thanks.

Dec 7, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #1,241 of 5,692
Short notes:

- To see the current native sampling frequency, enable the "sample rate display" in options->display. It will display the correct frequency being played by the Qobuz. So it is not being resampled, as expected.
- The hype is real. It is a very clean sounding device, with no harshness and the Stealth pairing is great (no extensive tests yet).
All are great news !!!

Dec 7, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #1,242 of 5,692
I’m on it! Ordering one now. Thanks for your info and recommendation. Spending out this amount on a mains supply was hit and miss for me but since you’ve clarified I’m happy to get one now. Many thanks.
Well I don't know much about desktop and this kind of upgrade so I was dubious... let me call myself a believer and it's not minute changes... be careful to pick 12V/4A there are several models.

Dec 7, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #1,245 of 5,692
Short notes:

Yep, I have enabled it and all apps display the correct sample rate :) (my bad)… but not so with DSD, only Fiio music leaves those untouched, the others resample when played in android mode.
As shown in the video Uapp works as it should in DAC mode, and DSD does not get resampled in that mode. Although for some reason that I have not yet been able to figure out, if you close and reopen UAPP it resamples.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back