[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Feb 13, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #2,851 of 5,693
On the fence about getting one of these, my main use would be out and about and am concerned its size would be too much of a challenge. Appreciate feedback from anyone who uses this as their daily commuting DAP.
I see that you have a similar set up to mine. If you love the ifi pro amp and dac the Fiio m17 fits the soundsignature - lively and punchy.
I also saw that you have the Astell&Kern- I had it as well and I loved it - it is more delicate and airy - but for commuting the best you can get. I wouldn’t use the Fiio M17 for commuting, it’s like a brick.

Feb 13, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #2,852 of 5,693
I see that you have a similar set up to mine. If you love the ifi pro amp and dac the Fiio m17 fits the soundsignature - lively and punchy.
I also saw that you have the Astell&Kern- I had it as well and I loved it - it is more delicate and airy - but for commuting the best you can get. I wouldn’t use the Fiio M17 for commuting, it’s like a brick.

I just watched a video on YouTube of the M17, it really is massive and I think unfortunatley that rules it out for me. The Shanling M9 (my other choice) is also damn big. I am Looking for something that will be a good match for a totl earphone like the VE Elysium EXT, but crucially, is able to be used for commuting.

Feb 13, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #2,853 of 5,693
I just watched a video on YouTube of the M17, it really is massive and I think unfortunatley that rules it out for me. The Shanling M9 (my other choice) is also damn big. I am Looking for something that will be a good match for a totl earphone like the VE Elysium EXT, but crucially, is able to be used for commuting.
Lotoo LPGT and PAW 6000 are very good and portable, ibasso DX240 is also another very good option.

Feb 13, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #2,854 of 5,693
Then I would suggest get a bigger Astell&Kern: I have the SE 200 - it sounds divine - I’m just selling it right now because I’m also using it with my Meze Elite and for that the Fiio is better because it has more power. But you don’t need the power for an iem.

Feb 13, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #2,856 of 5,693
Maybe the Chord Mojo2 or dongle dac like RU6, W2, PEE51, M12 or IFI Go Blu.

Feb 13, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #2,857 of 5,693

I wouldn't consider the ext unless I could power them with either 3Max, M17 or atleast dx312 and if I were in your shoes I would find another iem for portable use. Imo you would be doing a disservice to the EXT by using anything less. My .02 cents of course and everyone's opinions are their own. YMMV

Feb 13, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #2,858 of 5,693
Well I have gone for the PAW 6000, seems to strike a balance between decent sound quality and portability, hopefully a bump in performance over the SR15 MK2.

Feb 13, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #2,859 of 5,693
You can try considering Hiby RS6 if you are OK with its meaty, R2R smooth and engaging tuning.
Or still go with old good SP2K)

Feb 13, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #2,861 of 5,693
How do you guys like the “All to DSD” mode?
I found it to make M17 sound even more cleaner with better separation and transients, while the device could become very hot.
Ended up with this setting constantly being turned on.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #2,862 of 5,693
I had the M15, sold it end of last year and bought a Topping D90 desktop DAC, now I am very tempted by the M17 because I need something that I can use in my car and also at my different home setups. Does anyone compare the sonic performance of the M17 with a great performer such as the Topping D90 or any high performance desktop DAC? Thanks.

Feb 13, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #2,863 of 5,693
I had the M15, sold it end of last year and bought a Topping D90 desktop DAC, now I am very tempted by the M17 because I need something that I can use in my car and also at my different home setups. Does anyone compare the sonic performance of the M17 with a great performer such as the Topping D90 or any high performance desktop DAC? Thanks.
I cannot tell you from experience but I can say by looking at the numbers the m17 puts up and puts out that they should be very similar especially when m17 is plugged into DC.

Feb 13, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #2,864 of 5,693
Dear @JamesFiiO, dear @FiiO,

thanks for this wonderful player !

While trying to setup my M17, I found the following issues about usability in terms of digital filter settings:

Despite many other settings, the filters are “deeply” hidden in the ... settings … audio …. Lowpass filter mode …

It would be very convenient, if the filters could be chosen directly from the dropdown menue, to quickly switch between them.

1644700124255.png

I have seen, that the Multi-function button can also be customized to switch the filters – but its nowhere visualized, which filter is currently chosen … so probably it would be possible to show the current filter also somewhere, probably in the status bar

1644700182811.png

Probably not only showing the currently chosen filter, but also showing the currently chosen GAIN setting …
Dear friend,

Thanks for the feedback. We will report to the engineer for assessing about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back