[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Dec 22, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #1,624 of 5,692
For battery, the FIIO M17 has the perfect option to choose easily to limit general charging to 80% (or 85%) unless you really want to go out a long time, and switch for those times 100% of charging to get the longest battery life on the way.
It's probably the secured way to keep the battery for years in a good condition.

Actually, the FIIO M17 as some software issue and I don't know why, but sometimes :
-> battery is getting charged to 100% even if it should stop at 80 or 85% (as I have set in the battery parameters).
-> it can't switch from android mode to pure audio mode.
In both case, I have to restart the M17 to solve those issues.

Many many thanks for that information !
I was looking for that kind of feature... without actually looking. :)
That's a great feature indeed, although I would have loved a non working battery when the DC switch is on. Just to spare the battery life.

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #1,625 of 5,692
Many many thanks for that information !
I was looking for that kind of feature... without actually looking. :)
That's a great feature indeed, although I would have loved a non working battery when the DC switch is on. Just to spare the battery life.

Maybe with 12V/3A DC charger connected , the battery is not active after it's charged to its limit ?
Are you sure battery is still used ? I was really thinking the internal battery was charged and that's it.
Anyway limiting the battery charged to 80 or 85% is probably the best alternative when you are mainly plugged .. then going to 100% when you think you will need it, is not a big deal to do it

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #1,626 of 5,692
Am I correct in saying, and I thought I saw this mentioned as well, that when using DC Mains the Battery is By-Passed and the M17 is powered directly from the Mains. The Battery is not used/charged or 'flowed through' when connected via Mains?

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #1,627 of 5,692
Am I correct in saying, and I thought I saw this mentioned as well, that when using DC Mains the Battery is By-Passed and the M17 is powered directly from the Mains. The Battery is not used/charged or 'flowed through' when connected via Mains?
I could clearly see that at least the battery is getting charged when the M17 is connected to DC, but I can't confirm if the player itself is passing through the battery or not.
I still believe that when the battery is fully charged, it is not used or over-charging in enhanced mode.
Maybe FIIO will confirm us what really happens with DC connection.

Dec 22, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #1,628 of 5,692
Maybe with 12V/3A DC charger connected , the battery is not active after it's charged to its limit ?
Are you sure battery is still used ? I was really thinking the internal battery was charged and that's it.
Anyway limiting the battery charged to 80 or 85% is probably the best alternative when you are mainly plugged .. then going to 100% when you think you will need it, is not a big deal to do it

No I'm not sure at all.
What I meant, was to have two totally separated power supplies :
DC switch ON : no charge, non working if unplugged from the DC plug.
DC switch OFF : Battery mode, and the USB port to charge the battery.

The option you've mentionned partially answers that need.
But like you, I don't know if there is a way to see of the battery is being used in DC mode, or not.

Dec 22, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #1,629 of 5,692
I did notice when using the DC mode with the DC charger plugged in that it felt like the sound was overall cleaner which seemed to increase dynamics and separation a bit. Can anyone else confirm this or am I experiencing placebo? Haha.

Dec 22, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #1,630 of 5,692
I did notice when using the DC mode with the DC charger plugged in that it felt like the sound was overall cleaner which seemed to increase dynamics and separation a bit. Can anyone else confirm this or am I experiencing placebo? Haha.

You won't be able to use the DC mode without the DC charger plugged.

To me, that mode adds more power, with all the benefit it may bring...for an headphones pair which requires that amount of juice.
But for less demanding headphones, or IEMs, it is totally useless.

My Denon D7000, which is rather sensitive, works best on the Medium Gain ( =0 gain).
There is no need for an higher gain.

If the highest gain was the best solution for every Headphones, there would be no need for any gain selection.
Gains are here for a reason.
They must be chosen to match the headphones used.

My Audeze LCD 2 CB, while not that hard to drive, is clearly unleashed with the Enhanced mode. :)

Dec 22, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #1,631 of 5,692
You won't be able to use the DC mode without the DC charger plugged.

To me, that mode adds more power, with all the benefit it may bring...for an headphones pair which requires that amount of juice.
But for less demanding headphones, or IEMs, it is totally useless.

My Denon D7000, which is rather sensitive, works best on the Medium Gain ( =0 gain).
There is no need for an higher gain.

If the highest gain was the best solution for every Headphones, there would be no need for any gain selection.
Gains are here for a reason.
They must be chosen to match the headphones used.

My Audeze LCD 2 CB, while not that hard to drive, is clearly unleashed with the Enhanced mode. :)

Maybe I could have worded it better, the difference between using battery mode versus having the DC charger plugged in and DC mode switch selected seems to be an increase in dynamics and separation, even if I stay on low gain with IEMs.

Dec 22, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #1,632 of 5,692
Maybe I could have worded it better, the difference between using battery mode versus having the DC charger plugged in and DC mode switch selected seems to be an increase in dynamics and separation, even if I stay on low gain with IEMs.

Increases in dynamics and separation usually means more power.
It would mean that, with DC mode engaged and M17 plugged in, there is more power than with the battery alone, whatever the selected gain.
It's possible.
And would be interesting as it would prove that even plugged, the "battery mode" is letting the battery work by itself.

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #1,633 of 5,692
In my experience the perceivable benefit of DC mode will vary upon the IEMs... dynamic drivers and eStats benefit more than all BA IEMs which DC mode don't bring as much to the table. Even easy to drive headphones though benefit from DC mode, at least true of my dynamic iBasso SR2. I don't have a headphone collection so I can't elaborate more... waiting on DCA Stealth we'll see how this turns out :)

Dec 23, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #1,635 of 5,692
Hi, I was wondering if there are any Stellia owners that have experiences or thoughts about using this HP with the (amazing) M17?
Thanks for sharing!
I’m using the Stellias now with the M17, so I can give you my thoughts. I’m not someone who can speak on a technical level about this stuff, but I’ll give you my impressions. I absolutely love this combination. The Stellas sound great through this device--a full, rich, highly detailed experience. I mostly use UAPP as a player and find that it benefits from a little bit of EQ to bring out the bottom end of the vocals a bit, but depending on your tastes, this might not be necessary. I also find that it sounds best on low gain with the volume turned up a bit; medium gain adds a little punch, but also loses a little bit of that solid black noise floor. Overall, I'm really enjoying this combination and would recommend Stellia + M17 highly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back