[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Jun 11, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #4,097 of 5,692
In such case you should judge your real needs and choose accordingly!
In this case it's probably more wants than needs TBH but sure. I guess it all boils down to how much of a performance and practical loss we are talking about here going portal instead of stationary. Of course, the price difference probably makes it a no brainer regardless if the non portal solution works.

I guess the use case for something like the M17 is somewhat limited, as it is neither a desktop nor really a portable solution that you put in your pocket. But I guess if you carry something like a backpack back and forth to work and want the best possible audio, then it is probably one of the best solutions you can have. As you say, it is probably a hard sell for most stationary situations.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #4,098 of 5,692
The M17 is the best of both worlds.
And you don't necessarily have to think about it as a transportable DAP that can easily substitute for a desktop.
There are people that don't have the real estate even for a compact desktop unit.
Here comes the M17 , a streamer, DAC and amplifier with external power supply that can almost fit in your hand.
If you ask me, this is one of the best audio products ever made.
Hey, I have a dozen of desktop gear, some of them very good but sometimes I feel so lazy that I sit in my armchair and just use the M17.

Jun 11, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #4,099 of 5,692
The M17 is the best of both worlds.
And you don't necessarily have to think about it as a transportable DAP that can easily substitute for a desktop.
There are people that don't have the real estate even for a compact desktop unit.
Here comes the M17 , a streamer, DAC and amplifier with external power supply that can almost fit in your hand.
If you ask me, this is one of the best audio products ever made.
Hey, I have a dozen of desktop gear, some of them very good but sometimes I feel so lazy that I sit in my armchair and just use the M17.
yeah for that price it's such a versatile tool it's amazing. I was tempted even if i had a m15

Jun 11, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #4,100 of 5,692
Did I read somewhere in this thread that the Fiio player software doesn't go around the native Android 48k resampling?

Jun 12, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #4,101 of 5,692
Did I read somewhere in this thread that the Fiio player software doesn't go around the native Android 48k resampling?
You may have read some misinformed person spreading misinformation out of ignorance or disinformation out of spite and hatred, yes; its all too common on this forum. But then you also should have also read that soundly rebuffed with facts.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #4,102 of 5,692
You may have read some misinformed person spreading misinformation out of ignorance or disinformation out of spite and hatred, yes; its all too common on this forum. But then you also should have also read that soundly rebuffed with facts.

I looked before I made the post, but kinda figured that it wouldn't be accurate. It would be sloppy of Fiio to have overlooked that, I think.

Jun 12, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #4,103 of 5,692
I would like to inform you that I have been the proud owner of this handsome man since yesterday. First impressions are absolutely great. I bought it as a sequel to the FIIO series. I switched from the Fiio M11 Plus SS version with AKM chips
Even though I only have large Focal Elegia headphones so far, I will definitely buy headphones that will require higher profits in the future, so I will use the performance of the Fiio 17.

Jun 12, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #4,104 of 5,692
I would like to inform you that I have been the proud owner of this handsome man since yesterday. First impressions are absolutely great. I bought it as a sequel to the FIIO series. I switched from the Fiio M11 Plus SS version with AKM chips
Even though I only have large Focal Elegia headphones so far, I will definitely buy headphones that will require higher profits in the future, so I will use the performance of the Fiio 17.
welcome to the club - your honeymoon phase will start right now :)

Jun 12, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #4,105 of 5,692
Is it worth going with this instead of something like the K9PRO if you would use it 99% at a desk and use it portal very few times if any? While the M17 seems like a great device, higher costs, more heat etc. perhaps makes a true desktop solution better in the long run? Would be feeding the K9PRO from a PC via USB.
Sincerely another thought: anything with a battery has more or less a fixed lifespan. While current powered gear, unless there's a power failure, will keep on going indefinitely. So it would be a sound investment to go K9pro + future FiiO DAP/m17.

Jun 12, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #4,106 of 5,692
Anyone using their iems at Mid-High Gain?

I didn't experience any hiss from my EE VALKYRIE MK II with M17 at Mid Gain volume level 50 to 70+ and it sounds really good.

The reason I'm using Mid Gain because at Low gain It only sounds loud at Volume level 80 to 90+ which is really high and also dont get the punchy sound and I'm really surprised about this because my EE VALKYRIE MK II is only 3ohm.

Or am I becoming a deaf 🤔?

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #4,108 of 5,692
Anyone using their iems at Mid-High Gain?

I didn't experience any hiss from my EE VALKYRIE MK II with M17 at Mid Gain volume level 50 to 70+ and it sounds really good.

The reason I'm using Mid Gain because at Low gain It only sounds loud at Volume level 80 to 90+ which is really high and also dont get the punchy sound and I'm really surprised about this because my EE VALKYRIE MK II is only 3ohm.

Or am I becoming a deaf 🤔?
Wait till you try it with dc power enhanced mode your iems will punch more than enough on low volume. I use mid gain with se and low gain with balanced. With the m17 getting deaf is easy with iems cause sound is so good with high level you don’t notice your volume playing that loud.

Jun 12, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #4,109 of 5,692
Sincerely another thought: anything with a battery has more or less a fixed lifespan. While current powered gear, unless there's a power failure, will keep on going indefinitely. So it would be a sound investment to go K9pro + future FiiO DAP/m17.
Won’t it run indefinitely plugged battery or not?

Jun 12, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #4,110 of 5,692
Won’t it run indefinitely plugged battery or not?
If one were to consider it has a separate battery/DC energy source, yes the M17 might forgo such limitation.
But, IF it were to have a user-removable battery, it would mean its lifespan would be able to measured in several years going for a decade. Hell, unless a chip fries, if you could remove the battery you'd have pretty much a fixed DAC with internal memory, some kind of monster of versatility.
The issue is, DC power + heating of the battery (even if not used) would still impact its survivability.
This is a reality for ALL DAPs. I would say an M17s SHOULD involve some sort of user/replaceable battery.
Imagine there's DAPs with multiple batteries, that is an headache in the making just waiting for the batteries to selectively die and render it useless even faster.
If FiiO were to grant me ONE wish, it would be user-removeable batteries and ready availability for such spares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back