FiiO M15S Pocket Desktop-Level Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 14, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #243 of 945
This is my biggest gripe with the M15s.

Here is a thermal image I took after 30 minutes of 44.1khz FLAC playback at medium gain volume 90 balanced

img_20230509_000227.png

Case was off. All to DSD off. I'll post an update with desktop ultra high mode and All to DSD later.

I really do not understand why it gets this hot. The DX240 with same SD660 and 9038Pro only gets slightly warm at most.

I really hope something can be done about the efficiency of the M15s.

If the DX240 can provide 11 hours with a smaller 4400mah battery the M15s should be able to get at least 14.

I can vouch for this, the M15s sound close to the M17 and the M17 only pulls a head noticeably with DC mode.

I have been demoing a lot of daps recently and the SP3000 surprised me and not in a good way.

I'm not sure if its the implementation or DAC but it sounds too polite? Dynamics seemed lacking and blunted, notes lacked authority and overall it had this diffuse nature to the sound.

The Sp2000T and M17 DC sounded significantly better imo.
Dx240 does not sound as good as m15s or shanling m7 ..

May 14, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #244 of 945
Hi! How is m15s compared to Shanling M7 or H7? Maybe, someone had such an experience?
Never tried the M7 but the M15s edged out the M9 in my testing.

20230513_131825.jpg

M15s has better transients than the M9 as well as better dynamics. It just sounds more authoritative and powerful to the more blunted and diffuse sounding M9. Details/soundstage are comparable, just presented differently.

Dx240 does not sound as good as m15s or shanling m7 ..
I'm well aware, but if thermals (and in turn efficiency) could be improved then it will be an even better player.

May 15, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #245 of 945
hi there. The fiio player app is very slow, on the go it doesn't show the covers. The Poweramp player is much better, too bad it can only be used on Android system. they have to improve it. sd card is one of the fastest. I hope they solve it quickly. Greetings @FiiO
Dear friend,

If you don't mind, you could try to reset the data base of the FiiO Music app then restart it again.
We will check your feedback with the OTG first.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 15, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #246 of 945
@FiiO
the links for the firmwares seems to be wrong/broken.
The incremental will load a zip file called 1.0.2 and the link to full version seems to be broken.
When it is available OTA?
Dear friend,

The OTA is available. And you could try the link again now if the OTA fails to work fine.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 15, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #247 of 945
Never tried the M7 but the M15s edged out the M9 in my testing.

M15s has better transients than the M9 as well as better dynamics. It just sounds more authoritative and powerful to the more blunted and diffuse sounding M9. Details/soundstage are comparable, just presented differently.

I'm well aware, but if thermals (and in turn efficiency) could be improved then it will be an even better player.
Wait what?? The m15s better than the fantastic M9? What do you mean by less blunted than the M9? More aggressive in mids?
How the sp2kt vs m15s? Is is more laid back in mids?

May 15, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #248 of 945
Wait what?? The m15s better than the fantastic M9? What do you mean by less blunted than the M9? More aggressive in mids?
How the sp2kt vs m15s? Is is more laid back in mids?
Less blunted as in the sound feels less tactile, softer. You could call the M15s more aggressive sounding relative to the M9.

The SP2000T is way ahead of the M15s lol. It even beats the M17s in DC mode. Large holographic stage, relaxed presentation but not warm or soft sounding. Delicate and refined would be how I would describe it. The sound is balanced very nicely.

I tried the SP3000 as well but it was basically a worse M9. Dynamics are flat, airniess and holographic soundstage of the SP2000T are gone. Where the M9 could be argued to be a tuning choice this is just veiled.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #249 of 945
Less blunted as in the sound feels less tactile, softer. You could call the M15s more aggressive sounding relative to the M9.

The SP2000T is way ahead of the M15s lol. It even beats the M17s in DC mode. Large holographic stage, relaxed presentation but not warm or soft sounding. Delicate and refined would be how I would describe it. The sound is balanced very nicely.

I tried the SP3000 as well but it was basically a worse M9. Dynamics are flat, airniess and holographic soundstage of the SP2000T are gone. Where the M9 could be argued to be a tuning choice this is just veiled.
Man i almost pulled the trigger on m15s because of this test you made....but then i saw you rank the 1zm2 has mid tier and I can't stop laughing...thank God i saw that

May 15, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #250 of 945
Dear friend,

If you don't mind, you could try to reset the data base of the FiiO Music app then restart it again.
We will check your feedback with the OTG first.

Best regards
thanks for your quick response. I already did it and it's still the same, I attach video and capture of microsd that it has. all the best @FiiO

Attachments

• 6022706247439943684.zip
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • Ver fotos recientes.png
    Ver fotos recientes.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
May 15, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #251 of 945

That's what I thought. The aggressiveness in mids really punches me away. The M9 is soft and laid back but is insanely detailed, nuanced and very spacious sounding.
I could agree that they probably aren't far from each other in detail but the presentation on the M9 was fantastic.
I bet the m15s is closer to the dx312 which was already very good but the mids were too close to my face.

May 15, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #253 of 945
Man i almost pulled the trigger on m15s because of this test you made....but then i saw you rank the 1zm2 has mid tier and I can't stop laughing...thank God i saw that
Its up to your preference. I didn't like the warm dark tonality of the WM1Z-M2. It's too thick sounding and parings with warmer sets really suffers.

That's what I thought. The aggressiveness in mids really punches me away. The M9 is soft and laid back but is insanely detailed, nuanced and very spacious sounding.
I could agree that they probably aren't far from each other in detail but the presentation on the M9 was fantastic.
I bet the m15s is closer to the dx312 which was already very good but the mids were too close to my face.
That seems to be true for ibasso's stock modules from what I've tried. Tuned to absolute reference but sacrificing life to the sound. Almost like a polar opposite to the aforementioned Sony daps. Hifiman headphones are quite a painful pairing.

May 15, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #254 of 945
Its up to your preference. I didn't like the warm dark tonality of the WM1Z-M2. It's too thick sounding and parings with warmer sets really suffers.

That seems to be true for ibasso's stock modules from what I've tried. Tuned to absolute reference but sacrificing life to the sound. Almost like a polar opposite to the aforementioned Sony daps. Hifiman headphones are quite a painful pairing.
Yes 1zm2 is thick but detailed a warm natural huge sound, you must heard a not burned unit, but yes we all have diferent tastes that is why test and reviews are almost useless, saying that the sp2000t is better than sp3000 is saying that the sp2000 is better than sp3000 and that for me taste is not truth, i had a sp2000cu and tested the sp2000t and the 2000t was very good but did not reach the sp2000cu so how come is better than sp3000?

May 15, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #255 of 945
Yes 1zm2 is thick but detailed a warm natural huge sound, you must heard a not burned unit, but yes we all have diferent tastes that is why test and reviews are almost useless, saying that the sp2000t is better than sp3000 is saying that the sp2000 is better than sp3000 and that for me taste is not truth, i had a sp2000cu and tested the sp2000t and the 2000t was very good but did not reach the sp2000cu so how come is better than sp3000?
No idea how long the unit has been burned in but the store definitely burns in their demo units and they've had it for a while.

And no I never had the chance to demo a SP2000CU. How did you find the SP3000 vs SP2000CU?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back