FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Oct 21, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #3,751 of 4,083
I just got the M15 and compared to M11 plus, it is clearly better. Everything is more detailed, instrument separation improved, darker background ... Even with HD660S. I have no need to upgrade my headphones because I just can't imagine how it could be better... Even screen seems to be nicer. M11 plus looks a little bit washed out, but maybe It is only about higher pixel density. I also prefer the knob over volume slider. But I have encountered a problem with wifi. After about 30 minutes playing tidal with high gain, over ear mode, wifi is disconnecting and buffering. Could it be the result of overheating? Is this a common issue with this device? Otherwise, it is great but the wifi bothers me.
Darker background? The M11 Plus LTD does have better SNR aka less noise. So M11 Plus LTD does have the darker background.

But noise is with both inaudible so there is no difference in reality.

The THX AAA in the M11 Plus LTD is the highest fidelity amp that exists on this planet. It is not possible for the M15 to be better. That is why the K9 Pro and the M17 also use the THX AAA.

And there are a lot better Headphones than the Sennheiser HD 660 S, I would have rather spent the money on better Headphones instead a new player.

This forum always manages to surprise me

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #3,753 of 4,083
Thank you for the reply ! Exactly the same. A bit of wiggle on 2.5 mm port and no movement on the others :)
Dear friend,

Could you please provide more detailed phenomenon about this problem so we could forward to the engineer for checking and testing for you? Thanks in advanced!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 25, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #3,755 of 4,083
I see a few posts comparing the WM1A and M11 Plus - having both, the best way I can describe it myself is to use an analogy around cassette tapes, the WM1A sounds like type II (Chrome) and the M11 Plus sounds like metal tape, neither are bad, but the extra headroom (power) of the FiiO is very welcome, as is the much better noise floor - strangely, the FiiO feels more intimate, I don’t know if it is just driving my IEMs in a better fashion, but bass is much punchier, and vocals are richer - treble, horrific cliche, but it feels like a veil is lifted compared to the Sony.

Everyone is different, no one is right, just my take on it, the M11 Plus feels on a higher level to me.

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #3,756 of 4,083
I see a few posts comparing the WM1A and M11 Plus - having both, the best way I can describe it myself is to use an analogy around cassette tapes, the WM1A sounds like type II (Chrome) and the M11 Plus sounds like metal tape, neither are bad, but the extra headroom (power) of the FiiO is very welcome, as is the much better noise floor - strangely, the FiiO feels more intimate, I don’t know if it is just driving my IEMs in a better fashion, but bass is much punchier, and vocals are richer - treble, horrific cliche, but it feels like a veil is lifted compared to the Sony.

Everyone is different, no one is right, just my take on it, the M11 Plus feels on a higher level to me.
The WM1Z for example sounds worse on a technical level, but for most people better in a musical level.

In the end it's still a matter of taste and the best quality on paper is worth noting if you don't like the sound

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #3,757 of 4,083
Dear friend,

Could you please provide more detailed phenomenon about this problem so we could forward to the engineer for checking and testing for you? Thanks in advanced!

Best regards

No need. I think this is normal. I described it in the previous post of mine.
Actually, can you confirm if this is normal @FiiO

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #3,759 of 4,083
And there are a lot better Headphones than the Sennheiser HD 660 S, I would have rather spent the money on better Headphones instead a new player.

This forum always manages to surprise me
I currently use an AKG 240 (older Austrian made one). I went to a high-end shop and demoed a lot of really expensive headphones, including flagships from Meze, Audeze, and others. I like clean and uncolored, and found myself not liking any of those. The only pair of headphones I liked when testing with my M15 was the Sennheiser 660s.

Your preferences may be very different, but to say there are "lot better headphones" is simply an opinion.

Oct 26, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #3,760 of 4,083
Does the M15 have enough power to drive the Sennheiser HD 820 with 4.4mm balanced output?
I was not able to find an adequate answer for this, any experience with that? I just bought the M15 and wanted to buy either the Sony MDR-Z1R or the Sennheiser HD 820 and use it via the balanced cable directly with the M15.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #3,761 of 4,083
I was not able to find an adequate answer for this, any experience with that? I just bought the M15 and wanted to buy either the Sony MDR-Z1R or the Sennheiser HD 820 and use it via the balanced cable directly with the M15.
Yes it does it drives mine very well.

Oct 26, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #3,762 of 4,083
Thank you for the fast reply. But I can see on your picture that you use a separate DAC / AMP. I will not have that. Hope that the quality will be enough :). I trust this forum.

Oct 26, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #3,763 of 4,083
The NW-ZX507 which has like 1/4 of the power of the M15 can drive both if them without issues even in Low Gain.

The M15 does have enough power to drive 4 Sennheiser HD820 and maybe 8 Sony MDR-Z1R simultaneously :D

Oct 26, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #3,765 of 4,083
Anyone else experiencing sudden drops in wifi connection when turning off the screen? I use syncthing to sync my music folder and it seems when i keep it alone with the screen off, it randomly drops the connection.
DHCP, Fixed IP, 2.4ghz and 5ghz connection, no matter what it happens randomly after some 10 minutes. If i reconnect to the wifi, everything works again.
It almost seems like there's some setting for power saving or something akin to that that messes up the connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back