FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Feb 23, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #1,291 of 4,083
I think that anyone who listens to that combo M15+LCD-i4 will be very very impressed. They were made for each other.

Today I was listening to LCD-i3 with the M15 and the experience is nowhere close to LCD-i4. My conclusion is that a DAP this good is to be used with a very high-end IEM or headphone in order to realize what it is capable of. Scalability is impressive.

Concerning Hugo 2, it's not a match for LCD-i4, the experience with M15 is much more enjoyable. Fuller, bigger, what LCD-i4 needs. It fills in this in-ear headphone with emotion and grandiosity.

Very much agreed, Audeze LCDi3 are not in the same league. I did ton of listening of i3, hours, in Bangkok Munngkong Gadget, very nice shop, at their flagship shop at Amari Plaza there are usually only one customer, but more often you'd be the only one there, and you can listen for hours, their other locations are full of young Thais, listening to stuff. Portable audio is huge in Asia.
I have my i4 for a about a year, but I'm packpaking in SE Asia for 6 months, and left i4 at home in Europe, just don't want to lose them accidentally, and took isine 20 with me instead, and Grado RS1, RS1 for comfort, ease of put on, take off, as you walk around.

Missing the i4, I started looking at i3. You wouldn't believe the theories here in Bangkok, some say it is isine 20 in i4 magnesium shell, some say it is i4, but without the $400 cable, and some say it is completely new design.
It is definitely not an i4 in a slightly different colour shell, it is nothing like i4.
i3 are very nice IEM, superb, but they are not i4.
Ended up buying a used i4 at good price, but I did consider i3 for a while.

You are right, to hear the subtle differences of very best DAPs, the very best, headphones are needed, otherwise you can't here the difference. I have listened to the golden Sony WM 1Z many time at flagship Sony Centre in Paragon, Bangkok, it is amazing player, but out of my league. To me, $1000 USD Sony WM 1A is not better than my Onkyo, but I suspect it's me, it may be better DAP, and I just don't hear it.

M15 with i4 blew me away, I have never heard such a step up from a DAP. Have to admit, for awhile I didn't pay serious attention to newer DAP, I am very happy with the little Onkyo X1, screen cracked and everything lol. But now I'm on a mission to buy M15, just have to recover from this month spending.

Feb 23, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #1,292 of 4,083
Is there any specific charging behavior needed for a battery this big? I know older Lithium batteries needed special care but not sure if this technology has evolved a lot. For example can it be left on a charger indefinitely at 100%? Should we be keeping the battery above 20% or x% at all times or is it fine to let it run to 0%?

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #1,295 of 4,083
I would like to know if we buy the M15 or not I am taken between two choices, I buy a new M15 or I find myself a used sp1000, I would like to have your opinion

There is no straightforward answer to that, as just looking at the comments and reviews, everyone here seems to have a different perception of the sound coming out of their device.

- What are your IEMs / headphones? Do you have any hard to drive HPs?
- What are your uses cases?
- We already discussed here (and also some on the official thread) some features of M15. Which ones are important for you? And which features of SP1000 are important for you?
- If you buy one of them (M15), are you going to keep eyeing for the other (SP1000) because it is shiny and more expensive? Are you looking for a musical and/or a psychological satisfaction?

I have written it several times that, for my use cases, I would choose the M15 over any A&K out there (I had SP1000, SP1000M and KANN Cube). Just search for it in this thread.

1582542311856.png

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #1,296 of 4,083
There is no straightforward answer to that, as just looking at the comments and reviews, everyone here seems to have a different perception of the sound coming out of their device.

- What are your IEMs / headphones? Do you have any hard to drive HPs?
- What are your uses cases?
- We already discussed here (and also some on the official thread) some features of M15. Which ones are important for you? And which features of SP1000 are important for you?
- If you buy one of them (M15), are you going to keep eyeing for the other (SP1000) because it is shiny and more expensive? Are you looking for a musical and/or a psychological satisfaction?

I have written it several times that, for my use cases, I would choose the M15 over any A&K out there (I had SP1000, SP1000M and KANN Cube). Just search for it in this thread.

I have the budget for a DAP and I have heard regularly the sp1000 but never the m15 and the review are average, I will mainly use my new dap with RAD-0 and velvet earsonics

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #1,297 of 4,083
I have the budget for a DAP and I have heard regularly the sp1000 but never the m15 and the review are average, I will mainly use my new dap with RAD-0 and velvet earsonics

I think you already made up your mind. :) Did you try the RAD-0 with SP1000?
  • IMPEDANCE: 29 OHMS
  • SPL: 98dB
M15 can definitely handle full sized low sensitivity HPs better than SP1000, but M15 has a different sound signature than SP1000. If you are satisfied with what SP1000 delivers, especially with RAD-0 than just go for what you already like, the SP1000 and be in peace.

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #1,298 of 4,083
I think you already made up your mind. :) Did you try the RAD-0 with SP1000?
  • IMPEDANCE: 29 OHMS
  • SPL: 98dB
M15 can definitely handle full sized low sensitivity HPs better than SP1000, but M15 has a different sound signature than SP1000. If you are satisfied with what SP1000 delivers, especially with RAD-0 than just go for what you already like, the SP1000 and be in peace.

no, I have used the sp1000 often, but never with rad-0, this is one of the reasons why the M15 is attractive

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #1,299 of 4,083
I think that anyone who listens to that combo M15+LCD-i4 will be very very impressed. They were made for each other.

Today I was listening to LCD-i3 with the M15 and the experience is nowhere close to LCD-i4. My conclusion is that a DAP this good is to be used with a very high-end IEM or headphone in order to realize what it is capable of. Scalability is impressive.

Concerning Hugo 2, it's not a match for LCD-i4, the experience with M15 is much more enjoyable. Fuller, bigger, what LCD-i4 needs. It fills in this in-ear headphone with emotion and grandiosity.

I couldn't disagree more about Hugo 2 and LCD-i4- sounds sublime! I am comparing it to LCD-i4+Cayin N6ii with all three amp/dac cards.
Of course, your mileage may vary.

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #1,300 of 4,083

4.5/5 from headfonia is hardly average

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #1,302 of 4,083
I was talking more about the comments from the thread here

That's why I am saying you made up your mind already, as there are also enough M15 owners here which think M15 is more than just average, and you possibly saw these while reading this thread, and still not convinced.

I think you should just try the SP1000 again with RAD-0 and if you are satisfied with it, just get the SP1000.

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #1,303 of 4,083
That's why I am saying you made up your mind already, as there are also enough M15 owners here which think M15 is more than just average, and you possibly saw these while reading this thread, and still not convinced.

I think you should just try the SP1000 again with RAD-0 and if you are satisfied with it, just get the SP1000.

yet it's really more the M15 that attracts me ha ha ha ha! I think I'll take it. I've got a 15-day satisfaction guarantee anyway.

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #1,304 of 4,083
yet it's really more the M15 that attracts me ha ha ha ha! I think I'll take it. I've got a 15-day satisfaction guarantee anyway.

If you buy the M15, make sure to run it 120+ hours. Sound changes noticeably. Initially bass sounds a bit strong and treble too warm but that changes by time. I don't know the RAD-0 but with Stellia the change is very positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back