FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Jul 27, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #2,941 of 4,083
The iDSD is probably my favourite piece of hardware overall in recent months. Never leaves the Mac and drives all my ear and headphones, sound is excellent. The M15 only just shades it in sq terms with better detail.

Thanks! For its price xDSD does the job and it's great to know that you rate it this high. Enjoy!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 27, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #2,942 of 4,083
Thanks! For its price xDSD does the job and it's great to know that you rate it this high. Enjoy!
I meant the idsd micro not xdsd, although the xdsd is also an excellent piece of hardware

Jul 27, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #2,943 of 4,083
Regarding: fiio-file.fiio.net/M15-ota-20200722.zip - more information if you have not come across yet...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wian Liu
July 22, 2020 - 5:04AM

Hello everyone, here comes the latest 0722 beta firmware for M11/M11Pro/M15.
Notice: this version is still under beta testing phase, if everything works fine, we will release the offical firmware next weeks. And if you have any problem, please feel free to contact us at support@fiio.com. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Download link:
M11->fiio-file.fiio.net/M11-ota-20200722.zip
M11Pro->fiio-file.fiio.net/M11Pro-ota-20200722.zip
M15->fiio-file.fiio.net/M15-ota-20200722.zip

Update note:
1. Added tracks sorting within playlists (now the playlists sorting, which is based playlist names, and tracks sorting within playlists are controlled independently);
2. Improved the MQA identification and playback, fixing the issue where a part of the MQA track would be missing when switching tracks, and also added MQA playback indication on the status bar;
3. Improved the issue where the folders loading would be slowed down when the "Hide un-scanned folders" option is enabled in Scanning settings;
4. Fixed Sony Hi-res application can't be played;
5. Miscellaneous improvements.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wian Liu:
Here is the reply from MQA: The best method for driving an oversampling DAC chip is to fully unfold the MQA to its original sample rate and then upsample it with filters optimised by MQA for that DAC chip. This guarantees the correct time response for the MQA signal by avoiding the use of the DAC's built in filters.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello everyone, for the MQA indicator, we have been required to show the original sample rate in the status bar. All the MQA files are still decoded by MQA library as before.
It means if your MQA file's original sample rate is 352.8k, then it will show 352.8k just like my attachment; if your MQA file's sample is 96k/44.1k, then it will show 96k/44.1k.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi, we don't change the version code in the beta version, you can check the Kernel version, it should be Jul 22.
For Tidal, please update to the latest version of Tidal to see if it works.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for posting this, I missed @FiiO's original post about the 20200722 firmware post here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/a-beta-firmware-for-m11-m11pro-m15-2020-06-04.934060/post-15756486

For me the new firmware is stable, and fixes the Rate display for the M15 for UAPP and Tidal with MQA playback. I'm now seeing the original recording MQA rate as shown for each track instead of the direct decoded rate.
1595884552367.png
So far no problems with the 20200722 M15 BETA firmware :)

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #2,944 of 4,083
Regarding: fiio-file.fiio.net/M15-ota-20200722.zip - more information if you have not come across yet...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wian Liu
July 22, 2020 - 5:04AM

Hello everyone, here comes the latest 0722 beta firmware for M11/M11Pro/M15.
Notice: this version is still under beta testing phase, if everything works fine, we will release the offical firmware next weeks. And if you have any problem, please feel free to contact us at support@fiio.com. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Download link:
M11->fiio-file.fiio.net/M11-ota-20200722.zip
M11Pro->fiio-file.fiio.net/M11Pro-ota-20200722.zip
M15->fiio-file.fiio.net/M15-ota-20200722.zip

Update note:
1. Added tracks sorting within playlists (now the playlists sorting, which is based playlist names, and tracks sorting within playlists are controlled independently);
2. Improved the MQA identification and playback, fixing the issue where a part of the MQA track would be missing when switching tracks, and also added MQA playback indication on the status bar;
3. Improved the issue where the folders loading would be slowed down when the "Hide un-scanned folders" option is enabled in Scanning settings;
4. Fixed Sony Hi-res application can't be played;
5. Miscellaneous improvements.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wian Liu:
Here is the reply from MQA: The best method for driving an oversampling DAC chip is to fully unfold the MQA to its original sample rate and then upsample it with filters optimised by MQA for that DAC chip. This guarantees the correct time response for the MQA signal by avoiding the use of the DAC's built in filters.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello everyone, for the MQA indicator, we have been required to show the original sample rate in the status bar. All the MQA files are still decoded by MQA library as before.
It means if your MQA file's original sample rate is 352.8k, then it will show 352.8k just like my attachment; if your MQA file's sample is 96k/44.1k, then it will show 96k/44.1k.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi, we don't change the version code in the beta version, you can check the Kernel version, it should be Jul 22.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@WianFiiO
Beta has been running well for me, primarily using UAPP. Updated to the latest Tidal and it still does not seem to be playing MQA properly like on UAPP.

Screenshot_20200727-202914.pngScreenshot_20200727-202954.png

UAPP showing the correct 48K and MQA logo. Tidal app showing 96K.

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #2,945 of 4,083
@WianFiiO
Beta has been running well for me, primarily using UAPP. Updated to the latest Tidal and it still does not seem to be playing MQA properly like on UAPP.

Unfortunately that's up to Tidal to fix, not FiiO... If it would have been something that FiiO could fix, they would certainly have done so already..

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #2,946 of 4,083
@WianFiiO

Screenshot_20200727-202914.pngScreenshot_20200727-202954.png

Wait, I’m confused doesn’t that mean it is properly displaying?
The earlier post says
“Hello everyone, for the MQA indicator, we have been required to show the original sample rate in the status bar. All the MQA files are still decoded by MQA library as before.
It means if your MQA file's original sample rate is 352.8k, then it will show 352.8k just like my attachment; if your MQA file's sample is 96k/44.1k, then it will show 96k/44.1k.“

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #2,947 of 4,083
Unfortunately that's up to Tidal to fix, not FiiO... If it would have been something that FiiO could fix, they would certainly have done so already..
Fiio can be slow at times,so it's not always the others problem.Lets just be happy that Fiio is giving the M series a lot of attention,most companies support products for years Synology for example,but fiio has gotten better lets hope it stays that way.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #2,949 of 4,083
When Tidal issued the update yesterday, I was disappointed not seeing the full unfolding of MQA.

But then, I switched from the "Master" settings on streaming and downloads to the "Hi Fi" setting - like if you have an MQA DAC and you need to bypass the software doing it (and keep the application from doing the first unfolding).

And, it seems to work! The MQA indicator shows up at the top. But, for some reason, not on all tracks. All of the classical 2L titles that I checked seem to unfold to 352.8kHz! Some of the biggest new releases like Taylor Swift's also seem to unfold at 44.1kHz like with UAPP, with the MQA indicator on top. I've checked around on random MQA albums from different labels big and small. Some work but perhaps the majority don't - no rhyme or reason.

@WianFiiO

Jul 28, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #2,950 of 4,083
I’m aware of that, but the post included with the firmware asked users to test it out, so FiiO must have tried something else to try to fix it on their own or hoped Tidal’s latest update included a fix.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #2,951 of 4,083
Wait, I’m confused doesn’t that mean it is properly displaying?
The earlier post says
“Hello everyone, for the MQA indicator, we have been required to show the original sample rate in the status bar. All the MQA files are still decoded by MQA library as before.
It means if your MQA file's original sample rate is 352.8k, then it will show 352.8k just like my attachment; if your MQA file's sample is 96k/44.1k, then it will show 96k/44.1k.“
It’s working in UAPP, but not in Tidal’s native app.

It has something to do with FiiO still using Android 7 and needs some support on Tidal’s end to fix.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #2,952 of 4,083
Not sure how I ended up on the M15 thread but just to clarify I am using the M11 and MQA is working on some albums on Tidal but not all.

When Tidal issued the update yesterday, I was disappointed not seeing the full unfolding of MQA.

But then, I switched from the "Master" settings on streaming and downloads to the "Hi Fi" setting - like if you have an MQA DAC and you need to bypass the software doing it (and keep the application from doing the first unfolding).

And, it seems to work! The MQA indicator shows up at the top. But, for some reason, not on all tracks. All of the classical 2L titles that I checked seem to unfold to 352.8kHz! Some of the biggest new releases like Taylor Swift's also seem to unfold at 44.1kHz like with UAPP, with the MQA indicator on top. I've checked around on random MQA albums from different labels big and small. Some work but perhaps the majority don't - no rhyme or reason.

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #2,954 of 4,083
What do you mean? What are you seeing on some albums vs others?

Think my post was clear enough. I wrote that the MQA indicator displays at the top on some albums playing in the newly updated Tidal app (along with the track's original sample rate shows up) - just like with the UAPP app. The majority of other Tidal Master albums still just show 44.1kHz without an MQA indicator.

Example:
String Quartets Vol. I Haydn - Solberg - Grieg
by Engegård Quartet
https://tidal.com/browse/album/2397794
Indicator displays MQA at the top and 352.8kHz.

folklore
by Taylor Swift
https://tidal.com/browse/album/149678928
Indicator displays MQA at the top and 44.1kHz.

No Pressure
by Logic
https://tidal.com/browse/album/148995697
No MQA indicator at the top. Just 44.1kHz.

Screenshot_20200729-111826.pngScreenshot_20200729-111728.pngScreenshot_20200729-111928.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back