[FiiO M11 Plus LTD/M11 Plus] THXAAA-78,Android 10, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output/4.4 LO output, Dual AK4497/ES9068AS DAC chips, 4GB RAM,64G Flash
Feb 7, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #1,637 of 2,991
Anyone ordered M11 Plus ESS version from AliExpress/any store from China? Do we get English language or is it is in Chinese, can we at least change the language to English?
Didn't order from China, but mine obviously came from there... you get the language option as soon as you boot up for the first time. You'll have no problem selecting English.

Feb 7, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #1,638 of 2,991
Anyone ordered M11 Plus ESS version from AliExpress/any store from China? Do we get English language or is it is in Chinese, can we at least change the language to English?
As FiiO is extremely responsive and there are no hardwaredifferences between Chinese and international version. The worst what could happen is asking FiiO to send you the link to the international rom. But I doubt that this would be the case with this generation as it was no case in the last generation. I only know about some Hiby-players that had that issue and it was solved via firmware update.

Feb 7, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #1,640 of 2,991
TL: DR DSD convert avoids ‘cheap’ PCM filters (depending on your DAC this might make a large difference).
Regarding the subtle chip differences between AKM and ESS DACs, ‘going DSD’ avoids their potential filter differences altogether…

PCM converted to DSD sounds ‘really good’; it may be subtle under earbuds on public transport (maybe don’t bother), but in high end rigs, sounds absolutely amazing..
“Try it, you may(?) like it!”
DSD is technically poorer, as it blunts transients in the music, making it sound softer. Some people like this. Real, live music sounds much harsher than many people realise. I find that most recorded music doesn't have the dynamics of live music, but that's a whole other issue.

With ES9018-based designs, a friend of mine liked the HF Player DSD up-sampling, and I thought it made music sound strange. I am trying it on the Diablo (which is BB/TI-based of course) and I like it there with the music I've tried so far. Sometimes I like the Diablo, and sometimes I don't, depending on the headphones I use. I need to get it out again to try with the Stealth and other headphones though.

I couldn't get All to DSD working over coax either. I think it may be the limitations of coax though. I'll have to experiment.

Feb 7, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #1,641 of 2,991
And are you happy with your Ess version sound regarding?
I only have the ES version (not the AKM one), so I can't do a comparison, but yes I am happy with how it sounds. Good detail retrieval, powerful enough for my IEMs / headphones.

Fiio Music App is a bit "quirky" and could / should be improved.

I often use the M11 Plus as a digital transport. I haven't had enough time on it, or done any comparisons with my other gear. I have just sold my M9, and I was hoping that the Fiio music player world have been improved significantly... it's certainly much snappier though.

I've also just sold my Astell Kern Kann to help pay for the M11+, the Kann worked very well as a transport and never had some of the connection issues that the Fiio players sometimes have, but was a PITA regarding adding music on a Mac.

Edit for typos

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #1,643 of 2,991
Thank you guys! I have ordered M11+ ESS version. Can't wait to pair it with my Sony m9.

How's the latest firmware so far? Just wondering if I'll update the firmware to the latest version once I got it
There is no new firmware for M11 Plus and the firmware version is 1.0.0.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 8, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #1,644 of 2,991
@FiiO will there be a systemwide upsampling option to setting (like min 88.2/96kHz) or to a fixed one? That would be great as I use this feature (also the crossfeed-option) on qudelix 5k very often to get the frequency roll off start point beyond 22kHz when using short delay filtering to hold preringing in check with some sensitiv iems.
The cross-feed-option also helps with some annoying recordings that were masterd for speakers an have some instrumentations only on one channel.

edit reason: meant upsampling wrote oversampling

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #1,645 of 2,991
So the timing worked out for me to have both the AKM and ESS versions of the M11+ to evaluate. My Fiio X7mkII is getting long in the tooth from an operational standpoint. It is kinda sluggish and slow with my 1TB card with all my music. I figured with the newer OS/CPU and hardware (DAC/AMP), the M11 would provide both sound and operational benefits, so I took the plunge. I evaluated both M11+'s using identical 64gb cards with about 40 music files (flac, many being 24 bit). I selected the cuts to evaluate for both vocals (male/female), instrumentation, and ambience. Genres was jazz, country, rock, pop, and classical. I use IEM's for my portable rig, so what I state is based off of the following IEM's; Fiio FH-9 (balanced 4.4mm) and Shure KSE1200 (3.5mm LO). Both were using low gain. I used both the Fiio App and Neutron App. Every parameter was the same as best I could set. For the KSE1200, I ran both units thru an analog switch into the energizer. All the files are analyzed for volume, and I used replay gain. When I compared the FH-9s I set both DAPs to a set volume. ~90 I believe.

The bottom line is I could NOT tell a difference. When running the KSE's, I would press the play for each at the same time. I could literally switch between them and hear the song at the same spot. It sounded exactly the same to me. With the FH-9's, I had to pull the plug between them so it was not as easy to do a direct comparison, but I really could not hear any differences. I really focused on trying to discern differences in the upper and lower regions. Cymbals, brass, bass, bass drum and sound stage. For me, it's a push.

At this point, the AKM version is going back. It saves me some money.

The bigger issue now is in regards to the differences between the X7 and the M11+. From a sound perspective, there really isn't any. The X7 has the AM3D amp module and doing the same evaluation, I could not really hear any differences. This was a shock to me. The single ES9028 holds itself up well versus the dual ES9068's from a sound/detail standpoint. Operationally, there is no comparison.

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #1,646 of 2,991
"tjl5709" When you were reviewing both did you look at the screen color quality? My M11 Plus ltd AKM is duller and a little lifeless compared to the M11 Pro it replaced. If the sound quality is the same but the screen is better I may switch to the ESS version.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #1,648 of 2,991
Does anyone know why I can't stream from my Bandcamp App on the M11+ to my DAC/Amp via the USB output? Files held on the internal storage work and the 3.5mm Line Out option works as well.

Is this the same with other streaming apps? Or just something particular with Bandcamp?

Thanks

Feb 9, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #1,650 of 2,991
"tjl5709" When you were reviewing both did you look at the screen color quality? My M11 Plus ltd AKM is duller and a little lifeless compared to the M11 Pro it replaced. If the sound quality is the same but the screen is better I may switch to the ESS version.
I would say the ESS is slightly better. If you really look, at appears it might be sharper. But at quick glance, its not apparent. It's not night and day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back