[FiiO M11 Plus LTD/M11 Plus] THXAAA-78,Android 10, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output/4.4 LO output, Dual AK4497/ES9068AS DAC chips, 4GB RAM,64G Flash
Oct 31, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #1,261 of 2,988
Is there a burn-in effect after several hours of playing? I think about to sell the LTD, because of its slightly soft sound. Is there a chance that the sound changes with some playtime? When i compare it to the E1DA 9038s, the LTD has a slightly unrealistic and soft timbre. I don't know how to discripe it. It sounds like a thin layer of fabric on every note. I don't like this.

Oct 31, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #1,262 of 2,988
Is there a burn-in effect after several hours of playing? I think about to sell the LTD, because of its slightly soft sound. Is there a chance that the sound changes with some playtime? When i compare it to the E1DA 9038s, the LTD has a slightly unrealistic and soft timbre. I don't know how to discripe it. It sounds like a thin layer of fabric on every note. I don't like this.
Burn in is real. I'd give it a good 50 to 75 hours before making that decision. Some DAPs have multiple burn ins over time. One at say 50 hours and another at 150. All are different and those numbers are a rough estimate but you get the point.

Nov 1, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #1,263 of 2,988
20211101-155504.jpeg

The new firmware FW1.0.5 for M11 Plus LTD is now available!

M11 Plus LTD FW1.0.5 firmware download: Click here

How to upgrade the M11 Plus LTD: Click here
The following changes and improvements have been made to the FW1.0.5 compared to the FW1.0.4 on M11 Plus LTD:

1、Fixed the issue where the sound and view are not synchronized in some third-party apps;

2、Fixed the issue where some third-party apps may stutter in playback;

3、Fixed the issue where some album covers are not displayed properly;

4、Improved the system fluency;

5、Improved some UI translation;;

6、Miscellaneous improvements.

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 1, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #1,264 of 2,988
I’m currently on public transport, and - the small things make the big differences, I never realised how valuable AirPlay would be in a DAP until I had it - I think this is my favourite feature of the +

Thank you @FiiO

Nov 1, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #1,265 of 2,988
@FiiO
What is the output power of M11 Plus LTD on low gain?

As a low level listener, I'm interested in knowing how much the gain range is streched to low levels. The M17 outputs -6dB/ 1.4Vp-p on low gain/ SE, or about 8mw on 32Ohm load, if I translate the numbers correctly. I wonder if M11 Plus LTD louder or quieter on low gain than M17.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #1,266 of 2,988
Sure ‘burn in’ (break in) is ‘a thing’.
It is different from device to device, and ‘to be fair’ the changes are subtle, generally, to the point where if we don’t like the sound we are hearing, the changes brought about by chips settling and ‘finding their stride’ won’t always change the sound to the point that it is a ’night and day difference’.
Heck a metric tonne of users around the world will state that ‘burn in‘ is a myth. (most people are not attuned to the slight differences that break in or a cable change will make)

That being said, I have rotated many DACs, at some points in my system builds, to find that many DACs have such subtle differences (perhaps at a similar pricepoint with ‘very similar’ cheap builds), that the difference between a ‘fresh from box’ amplifier vs one that is a week old IS a NIGHT/DAY difference by comparison.

It is nice that the quality you have identified IS one that some break in CAN affect.

I find many circuits ‘very grainy’ straight from the box.
The M11+ grew the width of its’ soundstage ‘very significantly’ in the first 50 hours, but until I have 150 hours on it, I would generally not ‘seriously listen’.
That being said; the M11+ sounds ‘good enough’ unbroken it that I am willing to spin it anyway.... (normally it would be in a ‘b’ setup for 1-2 weeks before seriously auditioned..)

but yes, ‘veil’ reduction would be a feature that some breakin makes...

The hardest thing that the M11(+) has to compete with in its price range is that making music loud/obvious/exciting in ‘ones face’ is easy,.. but making instruments recede into the soundstage based on recording quality is ‘tricky’.
The M11+ can recreate honest sound space.. that actually stacks the odds against it as being a ‘chosen player’.

Eg users will just about always seek out ‘louder’ as equalling better.
Doing a good job recreating a stage actually makes some instruments ‘slightly’ less obvious.
Unless the reviewer/user knows ‘which is better’ (not necessarily ‘nicer’) it can be a hard call to state one playback is subjectively better.
One is better for ‘fun’, one would be ’more accurate’.
I replaced a Chord Hugo with an iFi Diablo: the Hugo was more musically engaging, but less honest to the recording - it did make throwing anything through it ‘really easy’. (easy to do /easy to listen to). Through the Diablo I benefit from feeding ‘better recordings’, mostly just because it will HONESTLY pull apart poor recordings.

So ‘better’ becomes ‘better to whom’, ‘better, why?’.

Hopefully the veil does go away with some breakin (my unit has made inroads already..)
- I would question which recording playback is more honest to the soundfiles’ original space... Around this price point it is easy to get consumer fi stuff that spec sheets really well, and then there is stuff to be musical (might on net the best spec sheets, but will actually playback in a musically pleasing way, or more honestly (depending on design intent).

As an aside, and not relating to the OPs question, but spec wars don’t tell us much regarding musicality. We seldom listen to ‘test tones’. Signal to Noise ratio isn’t a range of instruments playing at VARIED output levels.. (I cannot think of a spec sheet metric that looks at how a band is reproduced in relation to ‘each other’ on a stage etc)..

That more distant feeling might make loungeroom playback that is divine, whereas the ‘in ones face’ (louder) playback might have very little depth in a 3D space (2 channel ‘loungeroom’ system).

TL DR
break in IS a thing. Most people wouldn’t notice it! How much it can save a piece of kit is ‘highly questionable’. (I have returned ‘new from box’ “worlds best” amplifiers because they are ‘unlistenable’ to me (grainy), so may depend on ones sensitivity to ‘the small changes’ that some headfiers talk about as if they are ‘the big changes’.
We probably need to qualify how much change an amp or a cable makes to the total sound. (breakin is often subtle differences!).

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #1,267 of 2,988
20211101-155504.jpeg
The new firmware FW1.0.5 for M11 Plus LTD is now available!

M11 Plus LTD FW1.0.5 firmware download: Click here

How to upgrade the M11 Plus LTD: Click here
The following changes and improvements have been made to the FW1.0.5 compared to the FW1.0.4 on M11 Plus LTD:

1、Fixed the issue where the sound and view are not synchronized in some third-party apps;

2、Fixed the issue where some third-party apps may stutter in playback;

3、Fixed the issue where some album covers are not displayed properly;

4、Improved the system fluency;

5、Improved some UI translation;;

6、Miscellaneous improvements.
One note on updating - you will see the standard Android 10 updating progress bar, then it will reboot and you will see the Fiio startup screen but no animation. It will stay on the startup screen much longer than a normal boot so just give it time and it will finish.

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #1,268 of 2,988
One note on updating - you will see the standard Android 10 updating progress bar, then it will reboot and you will see the Fiio startup screen but no animation. It will stay on the startup screen much longer than a normal boot so just give it time and it will finish.
The update took a long time, then gave an error with an option to reboot. After that it said an update version 1.0.3 was available, even though I already had 1.0.4 installed. I let it install and reboot, the version installed was 1.0.5

Weird way to install updates but it's OK after all.

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #1,269 of 2,988
I’m currently on public transport, and - the small things make the big differences, I never realised how valuable AirPlay would be in a DAP until I had it - I think this is my favourite feature of the +

Thank you @FiiO

Are you still using the Apple Music app from phone to the M11+ via Air Play? You should be able to just install Apple Music on the M11+ and login with the same credentials. Apple Music allows authorization on up to 5 devices. Of course you will need your phone as a wifi hot spot on the go, but at least you can get up to 192 kHz sample rates running the app on M11+. I believe Air Play only goes up to 44 kHz lossless. I've been using Apple Music app on my M11+ and it works flawlessly. I've downloaded about 700 GB of music as well to have a large library locally on my M11+ (1 TB SD Card installed).

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #1,270 of 2,988
Are you still using the Apple Music app from phone to the M11+ via Air Play? You should be able to just install Apple Music on the M11+ and login with the same credentials. Apple Music allows authorization on up to 5 devices. Of course you will need your phone as a wifi hot spot on the go, but at least you can get up to 192 kHz sample rates running the app on M11+. I believe Air Play only goes up to 44 kHz lossless. I've been using Apple Music app on my M11+ and it works flawlessly. I've downloaded about 700 GB of music as well to have a large library locally on my M11+ (1 TB SD Card installed).
The thing about Apple Music app is that there is no Dolby atmos support. When you play over airplay, Dolby atmos works.

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #1,271 of 2,988
The update took a long time, then gave an error with an option to reboot. After that it said an update version 1.0.3 was available, even though I already had 1.0.4 installed. I let it install and reboot, the version installed was 1.0.5

@FiiO it seems M11+ system has some kind of rollback feature if update fails, can you confirm? It would be useful to know in case a future update fails.

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #1,272 of 2,988
The thing about Apple Music app is that there is no Dolby atmos support. When you play over airplay, Dolby atmos works.

Interesting. So you get ATMOS on any headphone connected to M11+ by using Air Play from Apple device?

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #1,273 of 2,988
Interesting. So you get ATMOS on any headphone connected to M11+ by using Air Play from Apple device?
Yes. You’ll get the simulated wide soundstage on songs but you wont get the spatial audio head tracking. You can test if this is working by listening to the almos version of Selena Gomez’s “Look at her now”. The beginning of the song has a little voice that pans up past your head from left to right. If atmos isn’t working, that voice stays in the middle of your head.

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #1,274 of 2,988

I got an error on the first OTA update attempt as well. I tried it again and it worked but took a very long time. After the update about a dozen albums on my 1 TB SD card had corrupted "artist" tags. I had to delete the albums and reload them which was a PITA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back