FiiO KA3 doesn't boost volume at all using computer on HD 600's
Jan 15, 2024 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mkmossop

Head-Fier
Hello,

Looking for a little help with this.

The HD 600's are just barely loud enough when using my pc on max volume.

I read that the KA3 should be easily enough to boost the volume, but it doesn't help at all. If I listen very closely there may be like a minor 5% boost or something.

I checked and the pc says that it is using the KA3 as the output. I've also read that it's not necessary to install the KA3 drivers.

I've gone into the settings and set it to high gain as well as high impedance (which the 600's are)... no change at all.

I can't imagine it would boost the volume at all. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 11
It doesn't matter whether it is KA3 or any other USB dongle - whether any particular USB dongle will be louder than your PC output or not depends on the max voltage output difference of the two. If your PC already has a high enough voltage output as it is, then a USB dongle that isn't that much higher in voltage output will NOT change the volume by much. Vise versa is true as well. I don't know the output on your PC, but KA3 should be able to output 2V at 3.5mm and 2.7V at 4.4mm - these are not a lot by any means for full sized headphones but should be enough for most situations. That being said, many PC these days can output 2V as well, so that could be the reason why you don't find the volume to be that much in difference.

Jan 16, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 11
It doesn't matter whether it is KA3 or any other USB dongle - whether any particular USB dongle will be louder than your PC output or not depends on the max voltage output difference of the two. If your PC already has a high enough voltage output as it is, then a USB dongle that isn't that much higher in voltage output will NOT change the volume by much. Vise versa is true as well. I don't know the output on your PC, but KA3 should be able to output 2V at 3.5mm and 2.7V at 4.4mm - these are not a lot by any means for full sized headphones but should be enough for most situations. That being said, many PC these days can output 2V as well, so that could be the reason why you don't find the volume to be that much in difference.

Hey thanks for your reply.

So it seems as though my pc's voltage output is around what the KA3 can provide because I hardly notice any difference in volume. So I suppose I may as well return it.

Would you recommend any particular solutions for this? Maybe just install some software that lets me boost Windows' max volume?

I move around a lot with the laptop so if I'm gonna use an amp it'd have to be something rather small and portable like the KA3.

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 11
Whatever app you install will not improve the max voltage as that's determined by the hardware (*your PC soundcard). A portable DAC/amp that have a decently high gain will make more sense IMO as USB dongle are likely more optimized for IEM.

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 11
Whatever app you install will not improve the max voltage as that's determined by the hardware (*your PC soundcard). A portable DAC/amp that have a decently high gain will make more sense IMO as USB dongle are likely more optimized for IEM.
Ok I'm a little confused.

I did a little reading and installed equalizer APO and turned on the pre-amp and it boosts the volume to more than enough.

I'm not sure if this degrades sound quality or affects the voltage or what it does, but it does boost volume.

How is this different than using an actual amp? I'm totally ignorant to this stuff so I don't understand how this is all working.

Jan 16, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 11
Ok I'm a little confused.

I did a little reading and installed equalizer APO and turned on the pre-amp and it boosts the volume to more than enough.

I'm not sure if this degrades sound quality or affects the voltage or what it does, but it does boost volume.

How is this different than using an actual amp? I'm totally ignorant to this stuff so I don't understand how this is all working.
There is hardware limit on how much voltage an amp circuit can physically pump out. Once pushing over that limit, you won't get more voltage but instead you will get more 'body' (think if it as room filling noise) while the sound is increasingly distorted. The more you push, the higher the distortion it will be. You might think you are getting louder sound, but those will be lower in quality. An good amp will give you the extra headroom of voltage that you can scale up to without increasing the distortion.

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 11
There is hardware limit on how much voltage an amp circuit can physically pump out. Once pushing over that limit, you won't get more voltage but instead you will get more 'body' (think if it as room filling noise) while the sound is increasingly distorted. The more you push, the higher the distortion it will be. You might think you are getting louder sound, but those will be lower in quality. An good amp will give you the extra headroom of voltage that you can scale up to without increasing the distortion.
Ok got it... so basically louder sound but at the cost of sound quality.

Would you have any recommendations for a small amp that would be decent for the 600's?

The cheaper / smaller the better. I got the headphones for music which I use through a different amp, but I also use them on my pc. But as long as the audio is just ok on pc I'm happy.

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 11
Most small DAC/amp that run off USB power will likely not be much more powerful than KA3. I am more inclined to recommend a proper battery-powered portable DACamp like Topping G5 but I am guessing that might be an overkill for your purpose. The new FiiO KA17 however might just fit the bill if its desktop mode is as powerful as advertised.

Jan 18, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #9 of 11
Most small DAC/amp that run off USB power will likely not be much more powerful than KA3. I am more inclined to recommend a proper battery-powered portable DACamp like Topping G5 but I am guessing that might be an overkill for your purpose. The new FiiO KA17 however might just fit the bill if its desktop mode is as powerful as advertised.
Cool thanks very much for your help!

Any thoughts on the KA13 for the same purposes?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #10 of 11
Cool thanks very much for your help!

Any thoughts on the KA13 for the same purposes?
Judging from spec, KA13 will have higher output than KA3 (2.3V vs 2V on 3.5mm output). Not sure how much will be enough for your need though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back