[FiiO KA17] Mini desktop-class amp, flagship dongle is officially released!
Apr 22, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #601 of 689
Heelo!Can anyone try ka17 with iphone 12?I’m interested will it work in desktop mode without any power supply?
Last I checked I think only iPhone with Type C port can powered the KA17 desktop mode without external power.

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #602 of 689
For headphones i think Q15 would be better. I have both q15 and ka17, in my use case for iems, both perform well above their prices, and yet i think the q15 and ka17 sounds different.

The q15 sounds lusher, warmer, and musical, its addicting to hear music thru it. While the ka17 sounds neutral, more transparent, and brighter, also amazing for the asking price.

Both are really good. But for heaphones, again, i would definitely go for Q15.
Interesting. The KA17 sounds warmer to me compared to my BTR15. The latter I would indeed define as more neutral, open sounding, transparent, and overall brighter. In contrast, the KA17 sounds more organic, has better dynamics (thanks to the boost it has in the mid-bass) and, overall, it’s a tad less transparent.

Both have their pros and synergize better with certain types of IEMs. As a rule of thumb, I would say already bright and more clinical-sounding IEMs synergize better with the KA17, while already bassy and moody IEMs go better with the BTR15, while for "neutral" sounding pair you can't go wrong with either. Ultimately, I’m happy that these two DACs differ so much from each other; having different types of sources can be really useful in achieving the best possible sound with various IEMs.

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #603 of 689
Interesting. The KA17 sounds warmer to me compared to my BTR15. The latter I would indeed define as more neutral, open sounding, transparent, and overall brighter. In contrast, the KA17 sounds more organic, has better dynamics (thanks to the boost it has in the mid-bass) and, overall, it’s a tad less transparent.

Both have their pros and synergize better with certain types of IEMs. As a rule of thumb, I would say already bright and more clinical-sounding IEMs synergize better with the KA17, while already bassy and moody IEMs go better with the BTR15, while for "neutral" sounding pair you can't go wrong with either. Ultimately, I’m happy that these two DACs differ so much from each other; having different types of sources can be really useful in achieving the best possible sound with various IEMs.

If you use Android devices and wouldn't mind fiddling with the PEQ on the Fiio app, that unlocks a gamut of tonalities with the KA17.

It can be made warmer or brighter should you wish, so the versatility with PEQ is quite a game changer.

Apr 22, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #604 of 689
KA17 V1.16 firmware changes are as follows:
Updated at 2024-04-22

1. Optimize the problem that the volume becomes smaller when EQ is turned on;
2. Optimize the problem of no output when selecting 32-bit deep playback in exclusive mode after turning on EQ;
3. Optimize the issue of not being able to enter the FiiO Control App settings without turning on EQ;
4. Added three new button mode options (A/B/C), supporting play/pause, previous song/next song (exclusive mode is not supported);
5. More local functions can be controlled through FiiO Control App.

KA17 V1.16 firmware direct download link: Click here

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #605 of 689
KA17 V1.66 firmware changes are as follows:
Updated at 2024-04-22

1. Optimize the problem that the volume becomes smaller when EQ is turned on;
2. Optimize the problem of no output when selecting 32-bit deep playback in exclusive mode after turning on EQ;
3. Optimize the issue of not being able to enter the FiiO Control App settings without turning on EQ;
4. Added three new button mode options (A/B/C), supporting play/pause, previous song/next song (exclusive mode is not supported);
5. More local functions can be controlled through FiiO Control App.

KA17 V1.66 firmware direct download link: Click here
Typo error - Just to confirm firmware version is V1.16

Apr 22, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #607 of 689
Anybody tried the new version? Is it stable?
Well. I just flashed it 30min ago - so I don't know if it is really stable but it works as far as I can see. I skipped the version 0.99 and went directly from 0.84 to 1.16 mainly for the "HID" function keys;
"A" seems to be the behavior up to now, "B" is short press=volume +- and long-press=skip fwd/back while "C" is the opposite of "B" and for both the select/menu key is play/pause with a short press (and long for menu). I use B. I was waiting for this update mainly because I also have a Fiio KA13 and got used to the control keys but I am not a big fan of having to adjust device and host volumes now (that's why I stayed on version 0.84) but the convenience of the playback remote control is outweighing this.

Edit: BTW, "+" is back and "-" is fwd... like used by many of theses devices.

MQA ON/Off setting is gone (even if EQ is set to OFF). I don't use MQA and I don't care. Was this already so in 0.99 ?
Had to reconnect the device in the Fiio-Control app. App and EQ settings seem to work Ok but I am not really using this very often.

Probably wait a bit for experiences of those who are using more of the EQ/app functionalities if you are relying on these.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #612 of 689
Well. I just flashed it 30min ago - so I don't know if it is really stable but it works as far as I can see. I skipped the version 0.99 and went directly from 0.84 to 1.16 mainly for the "HID" function keys;
"A" seems to be the behavior up to now, "B" is short press=volume +- and long-press=skip fwd/back while "C" is the opposite of "B" and for both the select/menu key is play/pause with a short press (and long for menu). I use B. I was waiting for this update mainly because I also have a Fiio KA13 and got used to the control keys but I am not a big fan of having to adjust device and host volumes now (that's why I stayed on version 0.84) but the convenience of the playback remote control is outweighing this.

Edit: BTW, "+" is back and "-" is fwd... like used by many of theses devices.

MQA ON/Off setting is gone (even if EQ is set to OFF). I don't use MQA and I don't care. Was this already so in 0.99 ?
Had to reconnect the device in the Fiio-Control app. App and EQ settings seem to work Ok but I am not really using this very often.

Probably wait a bit for experiences of those who are using more of the EQ/app functionalities if you are relying on these.

Wow, super detailed, thanks a lot!

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #614 of 689
I've just installed the 1.16 and noticed the equalizer doesn't work at all. After setting up my EQ and after closing and reopening the Fiio app the settings are reverted.
Even after switching the 3 modes it get's reverted. I tried to set the EQ on all 3 custom effects but not even one of them save the settings.

Fiio App v 3.21 (newest)
Xiaomi Redmi 9 Android 12

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #615 of 689
I've just installed the 1.16 and noticed the equalizer doesn't work at all. After setting up my EQ and after closing and reopening the Fiio app the settings are reverted.
Even after switching the 3 modes it get's reverted. I tried to set the EQ on all 3 custom effects but not even one of them save the settings.

Fiio App v 3.21 (newest)
Xiaomi Redmi 9 Android 12
Mine was like that too, turned out i needed to unplug the usb and re plug it again, the ka17 will update and everything is well when its done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back