FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Dec 2, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #2,131 of 2,223
Just skimmed though the music, yep K9 pro should be perfect for those.
So you dont think its going to sound too cold/clinical?
I dont want to go too far towards as detailed as possible i believe that ruins some of the fun and life in music

Back in the day when the Sennheiser HD-700 came out i went to a store and tried them out and they are the worst headphones i have heard in my life

They were cold/clinical to the extreme and were so bright/shrill that they hurt my ears and gave me headache after only half an hour

There might be people that like that sort of sound and like the HD-700 but i got pretty sensitive hearing so those high pitched and shrill sounds really hurt my ears

I said thanks for letting me try them to the staff and walked out of the store and i stuck with the HD-598´s i had and got the HD-599 when that came out

I really dont want a repeat of that experience again

I am looking for a middle ground if that makes sense?

Edit: as for the claim that all amps and DAC´s sound the same no i disagree the difference between my old RHA L1 and my Fiio M11S is night and day the M11S DAC is far superior

Maybe its due to the age of the L1 DAC which is from 2016/2017 or there about but it sounds worse

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #2,132 of 2,223
So you dont think its going to sound too cold/clinical?
I dont want to go too far towards as detailed as possible i believe that ruins some of the fun and life in music

Back in the day when the Sennheiser HD-700 came out i went to a store and tried them out and they are the worst headphones i have heard in my life

They were cold/clinical to the extreme and were so bright/shrill that they hurt my ears and gave me headache after only half an hour

There might be people that like that sort of sound and like the HD-700 but i got pretty sensitive hearing so those high pitched and shrill sounds really hurt my ears

I said thanks for letting me try them to the staff and walked out of the store and i stuck with the HD-598´s i had and got the HD-599 when that came out

I really dont want a repeat of that experience again

I am looking for a middle ground if that makes sense?

Edit: as for the claim that all amps and DAC´s sound the same no i disagree the difference between my old RHA L1 and my Fiio M11S is night and day the M11S DAC is far superior

Maybe its due to the age of the L1 DAC which is from 2016/2017 or there about but it sounds worse
nope due to quite abit of semi classical+electronic the speed is much needed, also if you find it too sharp stock you can switch over the filter to super slow. Besides HD660s2 is warm dark so it kind of balances each other out. HD599 I havent heard in forever but its abit muddy and thick sounding from memory so it should be just fine.

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #2,134 of 2,223
Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #2,135 of 2,223
Right so that answers all i think of so thank you very much for the help
I am going to stick with the HD599´s at least to begin with i might buy the HD660S2´s later

Someone said something about i should get a balanced cable and i found one that says it fit the HD599
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B0B4J7QPN4/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A17KQ6WEO823WV&psc=1

Is that worth the money or is the standard 6,35mm jack good enough?
I would stick to the stock cable or if you want to upgrade stick to copper cables if you wanna switch to balanced. Silver plated copper is quite the wild out there depending on copper:silver ratio, purity, insuation and geomatry. Since you seem to be quite sensitive to high frequency peaks I wouldnt go with SPC except with reputable cable makers that can direct you to a product that suits you. But then those cost a pretty penny.

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #2,136 of 2,223
I would stick to the stock cable or if you want to upgrade stick to copper cables if you wanna switch to balanced. Silver plated copper is quite the wild out there depending on copper:silver ratio, purity, insuation and geomatry. Since you seem to be quite sensitive to high frequency peaks I wouldnt go with SPC except with reputable cable makers that can direct you to a product that suits you. But then those cost a pretty penny.
Stock cable it is so thats money saved
Dont know when i have the money for the K9 Pro ESS i am going to Prague to spend christmas there with some family so thats more important

Some time early next year

Dec 3, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #2,137 of 2,223
After asking in the non pro K9 thread by mistake i will ask here instead

I apologise for asking dumb questions but i have very little knowledge about DAC´s and amps and that sort of stuff

I have an old RHA L1 DACAMP that i bought back in 2018 and i have been pretty happy with it but after i bought a Fiio M11S DAP and have heard how good the sound from that is i want to replace the old RHA L1 with something better

I use Sennheiser HD599 headphones since i like them and think they are great all around headphones they are not the best i am aware of that but i think they do most thing good enough they dont sound too cold or clinical and they dont sound too muddy either

I have tired the Sennheiser HD660S2 headphones and think they sound more clear than the HD599´s does so for some types of music they are much better

So i am looking to get a DAC and amp for use with both the 599 and 660S2´s

I have very little to pick from and after looking around i think i am going to go with the Fiio K9 Pro ESS

What i am looking for a is a better DAC and amp for my H599 but i dont want them to sound flat cold or clinical compared to the RHA L1 and i also want the K9 to be able to drive the HD660S2´s

When i listen to music i play FLAC files from my PC so i need it to be able to work with a Windows PC

Is the Fiio K9 Pro ESS completely the wrong option for my use case?

Thank you for reading
Hello its not a dumb question. Most dac/amp sounds the same so dont worry

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #2,139 of 2,223
After asking in the non pro K9 thread by mistake i will ask here instead

I apologise for asking dumb questions but i have very little knowledge about DAC´s and amps and that sort of stuff

I have an old RHA L1 DACAMP that i bought back in 2018 and i have been pretty happy with it but after i bought a Fiio M11S DAP and have heard how good the sound from that is i want to replace the old RHA L1 with something better

I use Sennheiser HD599 headphones since i like them and think they are great all around headphones they are not the best i am aware of that but i think they do most thing good enough they dont sound too cold or clinical and they dont sound too muddy either

I have tired the Sennheiser HD660S2 headphones and think they sound more clear than the HD599´s does so for some types of music they are much better

So i am looking to get a DAC and amp for use with both the 599 and 660S2´s

I have very little to pick from and after looking around i think i am going to go with the Fiio K9 Pro ESS

What i am looking for a is a better DAC and amp for my H599 but i dont want them to sound flat cold or clinical compared to the RHA L1 and i also want the K9 to be able to drive the HD660S2´s

When i listen to music i play FLAC files from my PC so i need it to be able to work with a Windows PC

Is the Fiio K9 Pro ESS completely the wrong option for my use case?

Thank you for reading
Dear friend,

K9 Pro ESS is a very excellent DAC/AMP. It is loved and supported by many users. I believe that K9 Pro ESS will satisfy you.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 4, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #2,141 of 2,223
Does this unit have (or need) IEM match?
This device perfectly copes with all in-ear headphones from 8 ohms and above.
No need of any IEM match.

Dec 4, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #2,142 of 2,223
I like to order from Cilo.dk which is a danish shop and all they have is the K7 the K11 and the K9 Pro ESS no K9 or K9 Pro AKM

Why not consider the K11? It will have enough power for most headphones, including the HD 660S, in balanced mode (you will need a balanced cable terminated in 4.4mm). Considering you are new to dac/amps it's a bit aggressive to go straight for the flagship K9 Pro. You could buy both the K11 and the HD 660S for less than the price of a K9 Pro ESS.

You don't even own the 660S yet so having a K9 Pro just to drive your 599 feels a bit mismatched; a flagship dac/amp for an entry-level head. You'll be very happy with the performance of the K11. Sure you'll be a tiny bit happier with the K9 Pro but that will come at many times the price. You can always upgrade in the future. It's a good convention to invest in headphones first before source gear because headphones will always make the biggest difference in what you hear.

Dec 4, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #2,143 of 2,223
Why not consider the K11? It will have enough power for most headphones, including the HD 660S, in balanced mode (you will need a balanced cable terminated in 4.4mm). Considering you are new to dac/amps it's a bit aggressive to go straight for the flagship K9 Pro. You could buy both the K11 and the HD 660S for less than the price of a K9 Pro ESS.

You don't even own the 660S yet so having a K9 Pro just to drive your 599 feels a bit mismatched; a flagship dac/amp for an entry-level head. You'll be very happy with the performance of the K11. Sure you'll be a tiny bit happier with the K9 Pro but that will come at many times the price. You can always upgrade in the future. It's a good convention to invest in headphones first before source gear because headphones will always make the biggest difference in what you hear.
The RGB lights on top is going to be very annoying and i have not seen anywhere that you can turn it off
On the other hand it has less of the design flaws of the K7 and its cheaper so you do have a very good point

I dont use headphones all that much its for the most part during the evening as the crazy old lady that lives under my apartment goes nuts if there is even the least bit of noise so my headphone use is 2-3 hours a day at most

I just got an early christmas present so i can afford the K11 right now if it was not sold out from Cilo
I dont have the money for the K9 Pro ESS before spring or summer next year i got two holidays planed and those are more important than a new DAC

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #2,144 of 2,223
@FiiO I just updated the fw to v1.31. I'm so happy to have PEQ but disappointed to see a lack of filters like low shelf. Will filters be added in the future?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back