FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Dec 27, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #1,996 of 2,233
There is no hidden motor that moves the poti, it does not move.

Overall it works fairly well, i've exlusively been using digital volume control via BLE for a while now (the volume knob is a fingerprint magnet).
Although i must add that i've built my own app with more elaborate volume control than the official FiiO Control.

If i was limited to using FiiO Control only for BLE volume adjustments, i'd might find it lacking in comfort (e.g. does not have volume adjustment via notification).
I am iOS only, so not sure how lack luster the volume experience will be.

Dec 27, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #1,997 of 2,233
I am iOS only, so not sure how lack luster the volume experience will be.
I presume it would be similar to Android, so you'd have a slider within FiiO Control which lets you adjust the volume.
That basic implementation is noticeably worse than a fully fledged remote with controls, no doubt.

Edit: Now that i think about it, you might even want to double check whether the IOS app supports volume control, as for Android a special build is required which is not available in the Play Store.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #1,998 of 2,233
How is the K9pro as a preamplifier into a power amp with passive speakers?

Dec 27, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #1,999 of 2,233
I presume it would be similar to Android, so you'd have a slider within FiiO Control which lets you adjust the volume.
That basic implementation is noticeably worse than a fully fledged remote with controls, no doubt.

Edit: Now that i think about it, you might even want to double check whether the IOS app supports volume control, as for Android a special build is required which is not available in the Play Store.
Yeah, the Fiio app didn’t work at all on IOS when I had my KA3 dac dongle. Not sure if anything has changed in the past 12 months.

Dec 29, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #2,001 of 2,233
Mine (AKM version) sounds awful connected to a Benchmark AHB2 power amplifier. If you want a good DAC with pre amp function for a very good price, get a RME ADI-2 DAC.
I'm also interested in this application. However, I don't think this and RME are in the same price range. Wonder if it would sound at least as good as all-in-ones in similar price (e.g. topping dx5).

Jan 3, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #2,003 of 2,233
Mine (AKM version) sounds awful connected to a Benchmark AHB2 power amplifier. If you want a good DAC with pre amp function for a very good price, get a RME ADI-2 DAC.
My akm k9 sounds great feeding a Purifi power amp. If yours sounds "awful" either your gear is defective or you are imagining things. What does "awful" even mean in this context? Even a modern $99 dac will sound excellent with a decent amp and speakers. Lol, this forum is too much sometimes.

Jan 3, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #2,004 of 2,233
My akm k9 sounds great feeding a Purifi power amp. If yours sounds "awful" either your gear is defective or you are imagining things. What does "awful" even mean in this context? Even a modern $99 dac will sound excellent with a decent amp and speakers. Lol, this forum is too much sometimes.
I have commented this before. My experience with the K9 pro has been poor since the day I purchased it. I wasn't able to return it to the store because it has no evident malfunction and has been sitting on my rack collecting dust for about 10 months. Works fine, doesn't have noise, doesn't have any damage but sounds awful with all my power amps (I have 3) and all my headphones.

All my other DACs (I have 4 not including the Fiio) sound much, much better. Even my oldest ones.

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #2,005 of 2,233
Who knows, apperently his unit is special in that its missing bass frequencies and has some ultrasonic noise that causes him to go temporary deaf and his local dealer doesnt want to RMA his unit.

That being said his unit is certernly spechul if true as I have never heard my unit or the other 3 demo units in SG ever being harsh without the iem/headphone being harsh as its mostly a garbage in garbage out unit I think that doesnt smooth over the presserence area nor emphasie it like the EF400 that does both.

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #2,006 of 2,233
Removed

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #2,007 of 2,233
It's a great all-in-one dac/preamp/headphone amp. I can't tell any difference between it and other DAC's I've heard. The THX HP amp has more power than I will ever need (audeze LCD-X). The DAC itself is just really good, like most DAC's are nowadays but the HP amp is where I think it really stands out against the competition.

My ONLY BIG GRIPE is the darn text on the front panel that shows the different functions for the buttons and switches. It is virtually impossible to read unless you are in a brightly lit room or like me - have to shine a flashlight on it to read the markings because my music room is pretty dimly lit.
I just got mine and the front panel labeling is very clear and easy to read.

Jan 16, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #2,009 of 2,233
Jan 17, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #2,010 of 2,233
I can no longer use my K9 pro on mid and low gain am currently stocked on high gain cause that's the only one working now. On mid and low gain the sound keeps cutting off and I get constant clicking sound on music pause, next etc. does anyone know how I can fix this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back