FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Sep 30, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #1,909 of 2,233
Anyone knows how to detect player is playing native dsd or DSD to PCM beside looking at the LED or from the Fiio USB driver's info? is there a way of telling it?
I think you can view it in the smartphone app.

Sep 30, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #1,911 of 2,233
hi, i am using my hifiman arya se headphone with audioquest dragonfly cobalt right now. Do you think switching from dragonfly cobalt to fiio k9 pro ess will make a significant difference?
I don’t own the cobalt, tho in general i think you will probably experience better punch and fullness on the low end.
Arya SE is a quite efficient headphone but still a planar and will still scale.

Sep 30, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #1,912 of 2,233
Yes, I know that the LED will be green if DSD is played... Just wonder is there any other way of telling it?
I am sorry. I am embarrassed.
I can check the status via the "FiiO Control" smart phone app.

SmartSelect_20220930-215345_FiiO Control.jpg

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #1,913 of 2,233
FWIW, I received my K9 Pro ESS yesterday, but I was getting dropouts on USB from my MacBook Pro and also from my LG C2 (optical). Apparantly the optical issues do not have a workaround so I've ordered a Sabaj A20d (it also has the ESS 9038Pro which I wanted) but the Sabaj has the ability to compensate for jitter issues that cause dropouts on ESS-based DACs over Toslink). It's too bad since it's a nice unit otherwise, sort of reminds me of my Sony TA-ZH1ES.

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #1,914 of 2,233
FWIW, I received my K9 Pro ESS yesterday, but I was getting dropouts on USB from my MacBook Pro and also from my LG C2 (optical). Apparantly the optical issues do not have a workaround so I've ordered a Sabaj A20d (it also has the ESS 9038Pro which I wanted) but the Sabaj has the ability to compensate for jitter issues that cause dropouts on ESS-based DACs over Toslink). It's too bad since it's a nice unit otherwise, sort of reminds me of my Sony TA-ZH1ES.
I can't speak to the optical connection but did you try a different USB cable and/or different USB port on the macbook? Dropouts should not be happening over USB.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #1,915 of 2,233
The USB dropouts are through a USB switch attached to my Thunderbolt dock so that might be the problem (no problem with my other DACs) so I probably could have worked around that but since I need the LG optical output to work it was a non-starter and I returned it. Just something to be aware of if anyone planned to use a K9 ESS attached to a TV...

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #1,916 of 2,233
I am sorry. I am embarrassed.
I can check the status via the "FiiO Control" smart phone app.

SmartSelect_20220930-215345_FiiO Control.jpg
Yes, I do know that you can look it up on the app, just wonder is there any other way to know which sample rate is playing without using any Fiio Ecosystem... because even using Foobar if you did not setup properly, Fiio DAC will show green LED but actually is in PCM mode, not DSD mode...

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #1,917 of 2,233
I had quite frequent dropouts with the stock usb cable, which was clearly defective.

Bought a random amazon cable usb-b 3mt cable and never experienced a dropout again. Coaxial and SPDIF are fine too.

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #1,918 of 2,233
I've got an M17 right now. I love the sound and the power (I have HD600s and LCD-2 Classics they drive very well in DC mode). However, I find that I don't really travel with it, I'm using it on my desk most of the time. I feel a desktop unit would be easier to use on my desktop (geez, who would have guessed) with access to dials, controls, etc. I would buy a K9 Pro ESS, sell the M17, and use the residuals for some new cans or something.

My question is, since they have basically the same hardware, do they sound the same? That is, if I enjoy the sound of the M17, is that what I'll get with the K9Pro ESS? I read there was some difference with the K9Pro and the M17, but I assume that's because of the different DAC chip manufacturers.

Thanks!

Oct 4, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #1,919 of 2,233
I've got an M17 right now. I love the sound and the power (I have HD600s and LCD-2 Classics they drive very well in DC mode). However, I find that I don't really travel with it, I'm using it on my desk most of the time. I feel a desktop unit would be easier to use on my desktop (geez, who would have guessed) with access to dials, controls, etc. I would buy a K9 Pro ESS, sell the M17, and use the residuals for some new cans or something.

My question is, since they have basically the same hardware, do they sound the same? That is, if I enjoy the sound of the M17, is that what I'll get with the K9Pro ESS? I read there was some difference with the K9Pro and the M17, but I assume that's because of the different DAC chip manufacturers.

Thanks!
I think it should be the same sound-wise if you buy the ESS version of K9 pro

In your case, I would keep the M17. The K9 pro needs two cables more (power + USB) and also takes much more space on the desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back