FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Jun 1, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #1,726 of 2,233
The K9 doesn't seem to be a class A amp. My mistake then.
Yea you seem to have made nothing but false statements today lol

Jun 2, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #1,727 of 2,233
I use my audio about 10 hours a day every single day, so I hope it would last longer than a year :wink:
I see a common fear in all people who know something about electronics. Your fear is fine but there is no need to worry the electronic failure due heat is least possible reason in modern electronics basically your equipment will die of other reason before the heat kills it.
Fiio did clarify this in this post 2 months back that the plastic shield are there for structural support to make yo more durable and have lots of junctions for heat convention or air circulation where needed. They told the chips/transistors/capacitor used are of very high quality and rated to work very well in high temps.
I am running the k9 AKM version non stop since I got it as I know the device works better when its running and its heated to a point where it can give its 100%.
It recommend by every big audiophile engineers that not switching off the components like amp and dac can improve sound and increase its durability.
But have to say it Fiio did made some good device here its not the top of the line in term of functions and can have some bugs but they sound real good even compared to many expensive chord devices I heard(specially mojo and hugo)
Hopefully this helps you.

Jun 2, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #1,728 of 2,233
It's a class A, it gets hot, it's designed to run at 100% all the time. I read random pages on this thread people confirms it. Now, maybe the plastic shield prevents the metal chassis to heat, but the heat is still produced and is trapped inside. You saw the pictures, right?

edit: here is one post
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fiio-k9-pro-hi-fi-deskdop-dac-bluetooth-amplifier,xlr-rca-4-4-optical-coaxial-interface.952664/page-63#post-16747768

Now I won't waste time arguing anymore. My initial question was to know how the K9 compares to the Xduoo XA-10 which is a powerful class A amp/DAC combo.
To answer you although I have never heard xa-10 but I was interested in it and topping dx7 pro before getting k9 pro.
While checking with many people and reviews I found out xa-10 had really good amp stage comparable to some of the best amps mid range but the dac section was not that so good in term of clarity, holographic (3d sound).
Dx7 pro on other hand had really good dac implementation but the amp section is too much dependent on ops amp ot have so if you can roll the op amps you are good with it.
While every one seems to agree on k9 pro that its amp section is really good out of the box and can compare to really high end devices like RME, while the dac section on it own is kind of clarity beast some time sibilant in upper mids and highs but when used with its own thx amp every thing fall in together and makes well balanced top of the line sound.
As per I put, the comparison like this K9 > Dx7 pro > xa10
Although I didn't heard thr xa10 but i have know people who had both xa10 and dx7 pro, I have heard dx7 pro in a event mumbai india, and found it was not on par with mojo in term of key sound I like exam depth, width of the music and how mids and bass are reproduced however I think dx7 pro can be paired with good amps to make up with those lacking.
On other hand many people also liked xa 10 but they were kind of disappointed with the dac implementation as it did not produce enough clarity for a mid-fi product but if you have a really good dac like something from topping or smsl you can pair them with xa 10 as the amp is class A and sound really good.

Jun 2, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #1,731 of 2,233
To answer you although I have never heard xa-10 but I was interested in it and topping dx7 pro before getting k9 pro.
While checking with many people and reviews I found out xa-10 had really good amp stage comparable to some of the best amps mid range but the dac section was not that so good in term of clarity, holographic (3d sound).
Dx7 pro on other hand had really good dac implementation but the amp section is too much dependent on ops amp ot have so if you can roll the op amps you are good with it.
While every one seems to agree on k9 pro that its amp section is really good out of the box and can compare to really high end devices like RME, while the dac section on it own is kind of clarity beast some time sibilant in upper mids and highs but when used with its own thx amp every thing fall in together and makes well balanced top of the line sound.
As per I put, the comparison like this K9 > Dx7 pro > xa10
Although I didn't heard thr xa10 but i have know people who had both xa10 and dx7 pro, I have heard dx7 pro in a event mumbai india, and found it was not on par with mojo in term of key sound I like exam depth, width of the music and how mids and bass are reproduced however I think dx7 pro can be paired with good amps to make up with those lacking.
On other hand many people also liked xa 10 but they were kind of disappointed with the dac implementation as it did not produce enough clarity for a mid-fi product but if you have a really good dac like something from topping or smsl you can pair them with xa 10 as the amp is class A and sound really good.
Finally the honest answer I was expecting to contrast with my observations. By your description, my AKM based unit is not faulty. It is a bright and not a balanced sound product.

I really can't stand its sound. Maybe connected to a EL34 tube amp might work, but with a transparent solid state it just sounds thin and sibilant.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #1,732 of 2,233
I think I saw a picture
I think he is just getting confused after reading too much of articles on these topics.
I would be overwhelmed when in same shoes.
You're spot on. I have been on a binge readings of reviews for 2 amps because of 2 classified ads. And in my mind the K9 is quite close to the XA10 thus my confusion.
Thank you for all the info. Indeed the XA10 is very powerful but doesnt seem to sound very clear. I didn't know if it was me imagining it or not because I bought it based on soundnews' incredible review and he never mentionned it.
I could buy the AKM version used for 650€ but the stand of the ESS would be very useful and I believe that FIIO slightly improved their product on the ESS version.
I'm trying to find out what version is sonically better. There is no clear answer.... And AKM released new chips so maybe its best to wait...

Jun 2, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #1,733 of 2,233
Finally the honest answer I was expecting to contrast with my observations. By your description, my AKM based unit is not faulty. It is a bright and not a balanced sound product.

I really can't stand its sound. Maybe connected to a EL34 tube amp might work, but with a transparent solid state it just sounds thin and sibilant.
And thats why fiio's THX implementation was a lot different than others.
Even with bright tr amp sounded well controlled with k9 amp section.

If you read through the comments before some people have tried hybrid tube amps like xduoo 604 with fiio as dac mode, they liked it. And its not only me some youtubers also told the same about just the dac section.
In my case I am all fine k9 as i just use it in dac-amp mode been loving it but I do want to it to connect some better amp in future and thats where my list shortens to warm amps coz I can't go with a clinical amp or a neutral amp.

Jun 2, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #1,734 of 2,233
I think I saw a picture

You're spot on. I have been on a binge readings of reviews for 2 amps because of 2 classified ads. And in my mind the K9 is quite close to the XA10 thus my confusion.
Thank you for all the info. Indeed the XA10 is very powerful but doesnt seem to sound very clear. I didn't know if it was me imagining it or not because I bought it based on soundnews' incredible review and he never mentionned it.
I could buy the AKM version used for 650€ but the stand of the ESS would be very useful and I believe that FIIO slightly improved their product on the ESS version.
I'm trying to find out what version is sonically better. There is no clear answer.... And AKM released new chips so maybe its best to wait...
You won't be able to find some k9 AKM easily as I think they are sold out every where but you might get some 2nd hand deal.
Frankly speaking after a certain level of hobby equipment everything have same feeling, I stopped looking for any dac or amps after I heard many of them and couldn't locate enough difference between them and my chord mojo. I guess now for a better upgrade either wait another 10 years or spend 10000$+ to hear some significant difference. Unless you are in music professionally.

Jun 3, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #1,736 of 2,233
So which one would you buy ? Akm or ESS given the choice ?
ESS one had some new features like Bluetooth are accessible in all mode while AKM one which I am having is only working on Bluetooth mode.
But given the choice i will go with the cheaper one as most of trusted reviews told they almost sound the same ESS one just have some SNR better than AKM. But I wonder if I would be able to hear a difference.
That is the reason I stopped looking for a new device although I am thinking to get a good tube amp to pair with my k9 as many peoples said they pair well.

Jun 3, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #1,737 of 2,233
My unit powered itself unattended twice in a week, so I just use the switch on the back now...

Also, may I ask @FiiO if there is, or will be, other firmware update after 1.13 for the AKM version? Are you going to support the AKM version in the years to come?
I'm asking because the official firmware update page is closed and says to write an email...
Hey @FiiO Willson , may I turn the question to you?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 3, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #1,738 of 2,233
Hey @FiiO Willson , may I turn the question to you?

Thanks in advance!
I do worry about their support judging on how they put out firmware updates. I've reported some problems that could relate to ESS version firmware but apparently they have hard time to reproduce them (which I understand) . Anyhow I do think there are needs for a firmware update after product release for so long.

For the unattendance turn-on, I had couple of occasions but more recently it seems to be gone when I always use the front switch to turn it to standby by pressing it for 3-5s.

Jun 3, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #1,739 of 2,233
Yes, I found today an used AKM for 650€. But I saw pictures of the inside of the K9 AKM, there is a big plastic shield covering all the electronic. Supposely to reinforce the case. This will make heat accumulate and lessen the life span of the amp. Scarry to me.
The ESS version doesn't have it.
The plastic cover thingy is over blown. Some industry equipment has similar shield for dust shielding. Don't think it has anything to do with case integrity given such a big heavy metal box. I know a Fiio guy said it is for case integrity, but do you really think they can't arrange a few screws to fix the circuit board to the metal case, or they can't figure out a way to put together a metal box together? :wink:

Jun 3, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #1,740 of 2,233
Of course it seemed ridiculous that a plastic cover would help chassis integrity. Dust shielding might be an explanation. But, there are no vents on the AKM version, so there shouldn't be any dust entering. It's still a mystery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back