FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
May 18, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #1,667 of 2,233
Exactly this. Everyone is measuring frequency response and lots of technical stuff. But they are the wrong tests.

They should test how it makes you feel. Because music is supposed to make you feel something.

E.g. Adels live performance at the brit awards is way better then the album version yet the album version is technically more accurate.

May 18, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #1,668 of 2,233
ESS

What are you listening with and what is your output? Is the akm fully balanced? What gain are you using?

I tried the m17 on se and balanced was better.
Sennheiser HD650 4.4mm balanced. I have also tried from the RCA and the XLR outputs on the back. I hear the same defects on all outputs. I have a system tester album that has a list of tracks that exercises different freqs I detected al least one that don't work at all. I also detect coloration from this DAC, all music sounds brighter than it should. Side to side with my other (ESS based) DACs there is no contest. I can barely hear the Fiio for a few minutes and my ears get completely exhausted.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #1,670 of 2,233
@
Sennheiser HD650 4.4mm balanced. I have also tried from the RCA and the XLR outputs on the back. I hear the same defects on all outputs. I have a system tester album that has a list of tracks that exercises different freqs I detected al least one that don't work at all. I also detect coloration from this DAC, all music sounds brighter than it should. Side to side with my other (ESS based) DACs there is no contest. I can barely hear the Fiio for a few minutes and my ears get completely exhausted.
Intressting my perception is the AKM wakes up the HD650.

May 18, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #1,671 of 2,233
Question, would you say that you like to listen at fairly loud volumes? Because i will say that i get brightness also when i listen louder than i normally do, but at my normal listening levels everything is exellent.

May 18, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #1,672 of 2,233
Question, would you say that you like to listen at fairly loud volumes? Because i will say that i get brightness also when i listen louder than i normally do, but at my normal listening levels everything is exellent.
Nope. If I wind the volume up my ears starts to suffer very quickly. I use my volume about 11 o'clock en the Fiio's dial

May 19, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #1,674 of 2,233
I was thinking about getting a newer DAC and this beauty [ESS version] was suggested. Although the amp part is very cool, I would be using this primarily as a DAC for faster music [EDM, Metal, etc] to both other headphone amps and powered monitors. Would the DAC in this be better than something like a SMSL VMV D1SE? Thanks!

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #1,676 of 2,233
For speakers dac is less important then room eq and correction. You're better off with something that has Dirac or lyngdorf roomperfect.
Possibly in the future, but that's not a project I want to commit to at my current house. I have been looking at ESS 9038Pro based DACs for several days now and have pretty much narrowed it down to K9 Pro, VMV D1SE or M500 MkII. I am wondering how much better the DACs on the K9 or the D1SE would be than the less pricey M500.
Also, just to clarify, I still plan on using my Gungnir MB for the majority of my slower-paced music. Cheers

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #1,677 of 2,233
Possibly in the future, but that's not a project I want to commit to at my current house. I have been looking at ESS 9038Pro based DACs for several days now and have pretty much narrowed it down to K9 Pro, VMV D1SE or M500 MkII. I am wondering how much better the DACs on the K9 or the D1SE would be than the less pricey M500.
Also, just to clarify, I still plan on using my Gungnir MB for the majority of my slower-paced music. Cheers
In that case I would say k9 pro.

May 19, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #1,678 of 2,233
May 19, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #1,680 of 2,233
I had Dan clark aeon 2 noire and I experienced sibilance. Listening to chord dac/amps I find them bright.

The k9 pro is pritty good with everything.
Massive attack - I against I. This is a very base heavy track and plays excellent on the k9 pro.

Duel of the fates - John Williams.
Making water - harry gregson-williams
Run - joji
Mystery - blanke

Different types of music all sound great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back