FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Apr 8, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #1,501 of 2,233
So, Stock on the ESS model is starting to show up in Canada now. The price went from 950.00 for the AKM ( which i own ) to 1350.00 for the ESS.

LOL.....that is some price increase.
Ouch. ESS version around 970 from UK authorised dealer.

I still *really* enjoy my AKM.
It isn`t something I reach for all the time, but that sense of of lateral staging and detail is beguiling.
Curious to hear any perspectives between the two versions.

Apr 8, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #1,502 of 2,233
Ouch. ESS version around 970 from UK authorised dealer.

It isn`t something I reach for all the time, but that sense of of lateral staging and detail is beguiling.
Yeah, I saw the price yesterday for Canada. I'm so happy I pulled the trigger on the AKM version which I love. At $1350, I would be looking at other options.

Apr 8, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #1,503 of 2,233
Zeos did a follow-up on the ESS after reviewing the AKM version.
In short, ESS made some enhancements but AKM owners don't need to fret over the changes.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #1,504 of 2,233
Zeos did a follow-up on the ESS after reviewing the AKM version.
In short, the ESS has a some enhancements but AKM owners don't need to fret over the changes.

Ya….I’m so glad I picked up the AKM4499 version while it was available. At 1350 cdn now for the ESS model…….that would’ve been a easy pass from me.

Apr 10, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #1,506 of 2,233
Sorry if this is off topic, just wondering if anyone has this same experience?

I've been curious about DAP's lately, wondering if they sound any better than a rooted android with V4A installed.

I've been using V4A for so many years and spoiled with it that I don't know if I could listen to music without it.
Anyway, I bought a Fiio M11 Plus to answer my curiosity and unless I'm doing something wrong with it, sounds exactly the same as the phone without V4A, maybe just a tad better but certainly nowhere as good as my S21Ultra with V4a. Dap's can be rooted but what's the point?

Anyone's thoughts appreciated.

Apr 11, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #1,509 of 2,233
Hmmm if electromods review is accurate then the difference between the AKM and ESS version should be minimal since the same praise can be said for the AKM version as well.

Yea it definitely sounds like he’s describing the akm version also, i don’t get caught up into the single/dual dac chip stuff, if you ask me, the akm chip was a part of fiio’s original plan. Of course the akm factory fire got in the way of that, but companies usually went with akm when designing their flagship products, ess was always a close second in my experience. I’m glad i caught the akm batch, i am however eager to here the ess version. I think the price increase is purely due to the dual chip implementation and high praise of the original release (akm). I’m not expecting to hear much difference if any at all.

Apr 12, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #1,512 of 2,233
if there’s an AKM owner who would like the stickers for free I am not going to use mine and will mail them to you just ask I’d be happy to do so 🤘🏼
I have the AKM version......what stickers are you referring to ?

Apr 12, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #1,513 of 2,233
IMG_20220412_163155.jpg

Thank you AV1 Singapore for letting me A/B with the new ESS verion.

Needed about an hour of burn in before it started sounding good. ESS dynamics and noteweight are somewhat reduced compared to the AKM version. What the ESS version excells at is being more transparent in the top end. Also the ESS version pairs very well with audeze planars for adding back that noteweight while synergising with that smoothish mid range. Overall doesnt pair as well with dynamics HD800s HE-R9 and single DD iem like fiio FD7 due to thier more revealing nature showing the lack of detailed texture.

Plays well with my mostly morden music like nightwish, t+paz, aviators, Nana mizuki. Subbass is slightly strong but can be somewhat wanting texture wise. Works best with non synth based music that doesnt rely on minor changes to the bass. Iron maiden sounded fantastic with its sharp and precise notes and transparent topend. Overwall its a lighter more transparent topend sound but still very nice in its own way. Just isnt the texture and microdetail monster that is the akm version.

Apr 12, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #1,514 of 2,233
IMG_20220412_163155.jpg

Thank you AV1 Singapore for letting me A/B with the new ESS verion.

Needed about an hour of burn in before it started sounding good. ESS dynamics and noteweight are somewhat reduced compared to the AKM version. What the ESS version excells at is being more transparent in the top end. Also the ESS version pairs very well with audeze planars for adding back that noteweight while synergising with that smoothish mid range. Overall doesnt pair as well with dynamics HD800s HE-R9 and single DD iem like fiio FD7 due to thier more revealing nature showing the lack of detailed texture.

Plays well with my mostly morden music like nightwish, t+paz, aviators, Nana mizuki. Subbass is slightly strong but can be somewhat wanting texture wise. Works best with non synth based music that doesnt rely on minor changes to the bass. Iron maiden sounded fantastic with its sharp and precise notes and transparent topend. Overwall its a lighter more transparent topend sound but still very nice in its own way. Just isnt the texture and microdetail monster that is the akm version.
Sounds like you prefer the akm, can you give some more burn in, say 50-75 hours and give us an update? You are very much appreciated my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back