FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Mar 16, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #1,366 of 2,223
FiiO K9 Pro in the house, and I figured it's a good time for a family photoshoot
Nice pictures! Since you have both, could you compare the K5 Pro to the K9 Pro? I would appreciate it.

Mar 16, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #1,367 of 2,223
Mar 16, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #1,368 of 2,223
Mar 16, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #1,369 of 2,223
Question regarding the Optical Input of the K9Pro; I am trying to listen to my older Sony XBR TV via the TV optical out that according to its specs is in PCM/Dolby format. When connected to the K9Pro via optical input/Optical selected as source, I only get noise/static. I have tried different cables with no change. Is the K9Pro capable of decoding this type of input? I have not tried connecting another optical source other than the TV.

I can successfully use RCA cabling via Line-in for this purpose, but sound levels are lower volume for both HP output or when signal is sent to SMSL AO200 amp with passive speakers. I am comparing the lower volume to USB source from K9Pro to AO200 via XML. Apples vs oranges, I know.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mar 16, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #1,370 of 2,223
Question regarding the Optical Input of the K9Pro; I am trying to listen to my older Sony XBR TV via the TV optical out that according to its specs is in PCM/Dolby format. When connected to the K9Pro via optical input/Optical selected as source, I only get noise/static. I have tried different cables with no change. Is the K9Pro capable of decoding this type of input? I have not tried connecting another optical source other than the TV.

I can successfully use RCA cabling via Line-in for this purpose, but sound levels are lower volume for both HP output or when signal is sent to SMSL AO200 amp with passive speakers. I am comparing the lower volume to USB source from K9Pro to AO200 via XML. Apples vs oranges, I know.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dear friend,

If you turn off the Dolby mode and set it to stereo mode, can the output work?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 16, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #1,371 of 2,223
Dear friend,

If you turn off the Dolby mode and set it to stereo mode, can the output work?

Best regards
Thanks for replying - I have no mode options (on TV menu,) only setting is to use TV speakers or "Audio System" with optical out (PCM) or L/R (analog) RCA-out. If you are referring to some setting for the K9Pro to switch modes from Dolby to stereo, then I would have no idea where to find that setting.

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #1,372 of 2,223
I had to return my K9Pro earlier today. With my SDR mod HD800 plus the Black Dragon cable, the treble is a little aggressive for me. I really want to keep it. I hope the ESS version is a little warmer sounding.

Mar 17, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #1,373 of 2,223
I had to return my K9Pro earlier today. With my SDR mod HD800 plus the Black Dragon cable, the treble is a little aggressive for me. I really want to keep it. I hope the ESS version is a little warmer sounding.
"Warm" and "bright" are not mutually exclusive sonic characteristics. The aggressive treble you experienced was not the fault of the K9 Pro, as it's a relatively neutral DAC/amp. You were hearing the affects of your detail-revealing cable and bright-leaning headphones. The next edition of the K9 simply being "warmer" does not mean its treble output will be reduced. You can wait for it... or just select a darker-sounding DAC/amp that pairs better with your headphones and cable.

Mar 17, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #1,374 of 2,223
"Warm" and "bright" are not mutually exclusive sonic characteristics. The aggressive treble you experienced was not the fault of the K9 Pro, as it's a relatively neutral DAC/amp. You were hearing the affects of your detail-revealing cable and bright-leaning headphones. The next edition of the K9 simply being "warmer" does not mean its treble output will be reduced. You can wait for it... or just select a darker-sounding DAC/amp that pairs better with your headphones and cable.
I have several amps in my possession and the K9pro is the only one that is giving that problem with my HD800 SDR with the Black Dragon cable. Everything else is stellar though on this unit for the price especially being used as a DAC. I actually think it has to do with the sound of the THX module because the DAC out from the K9pro to my SuSy Dynalo (GSX mini) didn’t give me that issue at all. My HD800 just happen to be my go-to headphones. Despite that, the K9pro is quite a deal for the price.

Mar 17, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #1,375 of 2,223
I have several amps in my possession and the K9pro is the only one that is giving that problem with my HD800 SDR with the Black Dragon cable. Everything else is stellar though on this unit for the price especially being used as a DAC. I actually think it has to do with the sound of the THX module because the DAC out from the K9pro to my SuSy Dynalo (GSX mini) didn’t give me that issue at all. My HD800 just happen to be my go-to headphones. Despite that, the K9pro is quite a deal for the price.
GSX mini is not a linear AMP, it is on the warmer side. K9 Pro is a THX AMP but unlike the THX AMPs it is not dry sounding.

HD800 is not a good pairing with neutral AMPs, that's why it is best paired with tube AMPs.

Mar 17, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #1,376 of 2,223
GSX mini is not a linear AMP, it is on the warmer side. K9 Pro is a THX AMP but unlike the THX AMPs it is not dry sounding.

HD800 is not a good pairing with neutral AMPs, that's why it is best paired with tube AMPs.
Someone actually highly recommended this to me to go with the HD800 and it did drive the HD800 really well beside that treble issues. It did a stellar job on my Sony XBA-Z5 though.

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #1,377 of 2,223
Thanks for replying - I have no mode options (on TV menu,) only setting is to use TV speakers or "Audio System" with optical out (PCM) or L/R (analog) RCA-out. If you are referring to some setting for the K9Pro to switch modes from Dolby to stereo, then I would have no idea where to find that setting.
The K9Pro does not have this option. Does the red light come from the optical adapter when connecting to the TV? And please check whether the input mode in the K9Pro has been switched to optical input mode correctly?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 19, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #1,378 of 2,223
I guess am late to the picture of the new hype. Can the FiiO K9 pro drive high impedance dynamic driver to its somewhat optimal performance ? Because it has a low output impedance. Lets say 300 ohms such as HD650 or ZMFs ?

Mar 19, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #1,379 of 2,223
The K9Pro does not have this option. Does the red light come from the optical adapter when connecting to the TV? And please check whether the input mode in the K9Pro has been switched to optical input mode correctly?

Best regards
Yes, I did have signal indicated by red light from optical and input was switched properly to Optical on K9Pro, but my problem apparently was not the K9Pro itself.

I have been able to confirm the optical input does indeed work properly on the K9Pro by connecting a different optical source, so my guess is there is some incompatibility with this particular TV or its optical output that is causing this problem. Thanks for the help.

Mar 19, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #1,380 of 2,223
I guess am late to the picture of the new hype. Can the FiiO K9 pro drive high impedance dynamic driver to its somewhat optimal performance ? Because it has a low output impedance. Lets say 300 ohms such as HD650 or ZMFs ?
Absolutely, you get lots of power from the balanced ports into 300ohms, I’ve never tried my 6xx balanced being that i don’t have a balanced cable but i get more than enough power single ended, fiio says it dumps out 1.1 watts into 300ohms balanced and that’s an insane amount of power if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back