FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Mar 4, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #1,306 of 2,233
I am getting noticeable clicking when listening to headphones in high gain mode through my K9 Pro AKM. If I switch to medium gain and level match, the clicking disappears (this applies to all three headphone output connection types — 4-pin balanced, 4.4mm balanced, 6.35mm single-ended). Noticeable clicking in the piano intro of "August 2-22" by Paul Haslinger. Switch to medium gain (or a different amp) and it disappears. I am running software version 1.13 with ASIO Buffer Size in "Safe Mode." Any suggestions @FiiO?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #1,307 of 2,233
I was hoping to get this combo as an analytical-sounding complement to a warmer DAC/amp combo such as the Schiit Jotunheim 2. However, I'm a little concerned by reading a few reviews that mention that the K9 Pro is a pretty non-THX sounding THX amp in that it sounds a fair bit warmer than the average THX amp...

So would the K9 Pro therefore sound too similar to the Jotunheim 2 (which is already warm sounding) to make it a good complement?

As someone with both, I think they sound pretty distinctly different. The K9 pro is more airer as well as wider sounding than that of the Jotunheim 2. When paired with the right headphones, I noticed that I definitely got a better over holographic presence of the music, something I didn't get as much even when running the K9 Pro as a DAC into the Jotunheim.

Mar 5, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #1,308 of 2,233
I am getting noticeable clicking when listening to headphones in high gain mode through my K9 Pro AKM. If I switch to medium gain and level match, the clicking disappears (this applies to all three headphone output connection types — 4-pin balanced, 4.4mm balanced, 6.35mm single-ended). Noticeable clicking in the piano intro of "August 2-22" by Paul Haslinger. Switch to medium gain (or a different amp) and it disappears. I am running software version 1.13 with ASIO Buffer Size in "Safe Mode." Any suggestions @FiiO?
Same problem here. It is like the k9 pro have a problem with this kind of low notes. Noticed it in several other tracks with low piano notes or similar synth sounds

Mar 5, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #1,309 of 2,233
Same problem here. It is like the k9 pro have a problem with this kind of low notes. Noticed it in several other tracks with low piano notes or similar synth sounds
If you dont mind can you share the songs that you found problematic so we can compile a list of songs for their team to test?

@Matrix Steak Jake Also might be with their strange decision to boost USB input which might be clipping at max gain? Just shooting in the dark here. Maybe reduce the digital volume to 90% and see if the clicking goes away?

Personally I havent found any issues with regards to synth bass though. August 2-22 the closest to clicking I can hear is the static in the background which just sounds like a lazy clean up job because its too soft. Both Whats up danger and Red water dreams sound fine to me even though they have boosted bass.

@FiiO Willson any ideas? I'm wondering if it could be a cabling issue where there isnt enough insulation with the supplied USB? Maybe picking up noise form other devices?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #1,310 of 2,233
@FiiO Willson and @FiiO, I installed the software you sent me via private message (vB.18), but the clicking persists. I have a clarification to my previous report, as well. Like others in this forum have reported, the clicking occurs when the volume pot nears 11 o'clock in all gain modes. This is not restricted to high gain as I previously reported. It does sound like some sort of digital clipping, and it does not occur on my other amps even when grouped and playing the exact same track at the exact same settings through Roon.

Mar 5, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #1,312 of 2,233
Same problem here. It is like the k9 pro have a problem with this kind of low notes. Noticed it in several other tracks with low piano notes or similar synth soun
If you dont mind can you share the songs that you found problematic so we can compile a list of songs for their team to test?

@Matrix Steak Jake Also might be with their strange decision to boost USB input which might be clipping at max gain? Just shooting in the dark here. Maybe reduce the digital volume to 90% and see if the clicking goes away?

Personally I havent found any issues with regards to synth bass though. August 2-22 the closest to clicking I can hear is the static in the background which just sounds like a lazy clean up job because its too soft. Both Whats up danger and Red water dreams sound fine to me even though they have boosted bass.

@FiiO Willson any ideas? I'm wondering if it could be a cabling issue where there isnt enough insulation with the supplied USB? Maybe picking up noise form other devices?
Fall for you. Leela James. /It's love. Jill Scott/. Could . Elderbrook...... It's not a cable issue. The same trough bluetooth, usb or cable. When using a external amp the problem is not there. It's like clipping of the internal amp

Mar 6, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #1,313 of 2,233
Same problem here. It is like the k9 pro have a problem with this kind of low notes. Noticed it in several other tracks with low piano notes or similar synth soun

Fall for you. Leela James. /It's love. Jill Scott/. Could . Elderbrook...... It's not a cable issue. The same trough bluetooth, usb or cable. When using a external amp the problem is not there. It's like clipping of the internal amp

Hi all -- I'm using the ak4499 version of the k9 pro and the default windows driver. I've got no clipping on any of the above tracks in any gain mode / at any volume FWIW.

Mar 6, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #1,315 of 2,233
Hello. I also tried it.

-Fiio K9Pro (AK4499 / Firmware V1.13)
-PC:Win10(USB connection)
-Driver:JRiver Media Center 28 / WDM Driver
-IEM: FiiO FD5
-Music source:Amazon Music Unlimited,YouTube Music Premium

-Fall for you.Leela James./It's love.Jill Scott/. Could . Elderbrook
No problem.

-August 2-22. Paul Haslinger
Sometimes I would get clicking when the volume was set above 11 o'clock on the high and middle gains.
But this volume is too loud for me and hard on my ears.

This is the first time I have heard these music and they are all wonderful.

Mar 6, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #1,317 of 2,233
The clipping is not very hard. Mostly at the end ot the decay of the notes you hear a very low click. Don't hear this in busy tracks only in lesser dense tracks
Hello.I changed the headphones and tried again.

-Fall for you. Leela James.
I couldn't hear it.

-It's love.Jill Scott
Clipping was heard within about 10 seconds from the start.

-Could . Elderbrook
A clipping-like sound is heard from 3 minutes 30 seconds to the end.

I was able to hear it with the volume turned up above 11 o'clock.
However, this volume is too loud for me.Clipping doesn't bother me at my normal volume.

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #1,318 of 2,233
Hello.I changed the headphones and tried again.

-Fall for you. Leela James.
I couldn't hear it.

-It's love.Jill Scott
Clipping was heard within about 10 seconds from the start.

-Could . Elderbrook
A clipping-like sound is heard from 3 minutes 30 seconds to the end.

I was able to hear it with the volume turned up above 11 o'clock.
However, this volume is too loud for me.Clipping doesn't bother me at my normal volume.

I just tried It's Love / Jill Scott on amazon music with both focal elear's and dt 990's (250 ohm) -- no clipping at any gain level (even at volumes that were probably bad for my hearing). So not sure what's responsible for the variance in outcomes!

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #1,319 of 2,233
I just tried It's Love / Jill Scott on amazon music with both focal elear's and dt 990's (250 ohm) -- no clipping at any gain level (even at volumes that were probably bad for my hearing). So not sure what's responsible for the variance in outcomes!
Honestly i donno if its the track or the k9 pro. Personally i found that i could hear something sounding similar to static in short bursts at very soft volumes but nothing that sounds like clipping distortion duing the lull hours of the day/night where majority of the people are at work/asleep.

Personally im using the fiio FD7 and AWKT in balanced 4.4 and XLR respectively and both are pretty sensative so i donno. If anything i have a bigger issue with the fluctuating noise floor throughout the day and i think its time for me to get a proper power regenerator.

Mar 6, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #1,320 of 2,233
@FiiO Willson and @FiiO, I installed the software you sent me via private message (vB.18), but the clicking persists. I have a clarification to my previous report, as well. Like others in this forum have reported, the clicking occurs when the volume pot nears 11 o'clock in all gain modes. This is not restricted to high gain as I previously reported. It does sound like some sort of digital clipping, and it does not occur on my other amps even when grouped and playing the exact same track at the exact same settings through Roon.
Thanks for the feedback. We have reported to the engineers and they will keep analysising this problem.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back