FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Dec 4, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #751 of 2,233
This doesn't sound right to me - I don't have any of these volume drops at all and I haven't updated the firmware yet - haven't felt the need to for any reason. My bet is that you've got a hardware problem somehow.

I'm loving my K9 Pro. Maybe there are some teething issues with some of the units - I had to send my first one back, but the replacement has been absolutely fine and sounds great. My Heddphones aren't easy to drive so I've been looking out for a dedicated headphone amp for a while and this is my first one. I'm really impressed with it - it's really brought the Heddphones alive, for the first time. I run them using Roon on Mac, via USB C to the side port on the K9. Volume is loud at about 1-2 o'clock on high gain.

But, as I say, this is my first headphone amp.
How are the mids? Are they forward at all?

Dec 5, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #754 of 2,233
I have the K5Pro (& like) - how does it compare with the K9Pro? Is it correct they have the same DAC - so the main difference is in the amp element. I have Seinnheiser D800S headphones - worth the upgrade?
Not the same DAC IC, AK4493 (K5 Pro) vs AK4499. (K9 Pro)

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #755 of 2,233
Hi, a little update on the clicks/pop issue i have with the fiio K9 pro.
Sadly, they sent me back the K9 pro without any repairs.
They told me that they were able to reproduce the issue playing the youtube video where i found the clicks/pops issue.
But then, they told me that they tried other songs without reproducing the issue and advise me to not listen to the youtube video where the issue occur. I don't understand, should i avoid listening to youtube video and piano songs with K9 pro?
I really really hope that this issue can be solved on firmware side.
Maybe i should have waited for the dual ESS DAC version of K9 pro.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #756 of 2,233
@azertyproxy and all...
The device should play any videos and files without clicks! If the videos and files meet the declared specifications of the device. Especially if other devices from this manufacturer have no problem with your test videos and files. Or I'm wrong? Do other K9 Pro reproduce this problem too? Friends, write about it here! We go to the 2nd circle ...

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #757 of 2,233
Hi, a little update on the clicks/pop issue i have with the fiio K9 pro.
Sadly, they sent me back the K9 pro without any repairs.
They told me that they were able to reproduce the issue playing the youtube video where i found the clicks/pops issue.
But then, they told me that they tried other songs without reproducing the issue and advise me to not listen to the youtube video where the issue occur. I don't understand, should i avoid listening to youtube video and piano songs with K9 pro?
I really really hope that this issue can be solved on firmware side.
Maybe i should have waited for the dual ESS DAC version of K9 pro.
Hi, I just tried the Billy Eilish video you shared a few pages ago and I get no clicks or any problems whatsoever. Listening via Macbook pro connected via USB C to the side port of the Fiio K9 Pro, with HEDDphones.....FWIW

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #758 of 2,233
This doesn't sound right to me - I don't have any of these volume drops at all and I haven't updated the firmware yet - haven't felt the need to for any reason. My bet is that you've got a hardware problem somehow.

I'm loving my K9 Pro. Maybe there are some teething issues with some of the units - I had to send my first one back, but the replacement has been absolutely fine and sounds great. My Heddphones aren't easy to drive so I've been looking out for a dedicated headphone amp for a while and this is my first one. I'm really impressed with it - it's really brought the Heddphones alive, for the first time. I run them using Roon on Mac, via USB C to the side port on the K9. Volume is loud at about 1-2 o'clock on high gain.

But, as I say, this is my first headphone amp.
Its my first too and if these volume drops/mutes would not be it would be fine (I don't need the volume control in the app, because the digital coax out of my sonos
controls the volume, so I could use my sonos controller like I do in the moment with line out directly connected to headphone).
The difference of fiio to the line out of my sonos is not big but it is a difference.
I will get a new akg k712pro headphone today - just to rule out that my headphones are the cause. Mi K501 seems to have a cable break near the plug and
it has less bass than the hd650, but I like that the music is in the room while the hd650 makes the music in my head. the 712pro should have more bass and I hope its the perfect symbiosis of hd650 and k501. I'm in contact with fiio support, but i haven't heard since friday from them. My tests on weekend seem to show the problem when the fiio is turned on. When it gets warm the drops are getting fewer, but I dont want to wait half an hour until its staple. If the problem consists with the new headphone I'll contact the seller (they only had 2 and if the other is sold there is no chance for a replacement...).

question: the new akg k712pro sais in its specs max 200mW. (it has 62 ohm) Can I destroy something when fiio is on high gain, or should I only use low or middle gain?

Dec 7, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #759 of 2,233
Hi, i got the K9 pro back and can confirm that the clicks/pops issue is still here :frowning2:
I can give you another exemple. At the begging of the song (first 5 secondes) "Elderbrook - Could", when the bass drop, clicks shows at moderate volume.
Another exemple, in the song "G.O.M.D - J.Cole", clicks appear from 30sec to 45sec when bass hits low.
I should try to record those artefacts
I noticed another strange thing. In windows sound settings, My K9 pro appears as Fiio Q series. Is it the same for you?
Capture d’écran 2021-12-07 123903.png

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #761 of 2,233
my new AKG K712pro just arrived. The volume drop happens too, so I can rule out the headphone(s).
In my case its not a click sound - it just reduces the volume to around half for around 1 to 3 seconds.

These are my Headphones compared (the fiio makes no difference in wideness of sound - its the headphone that makes the difference, the fiio k9pro just makes the sound "more exact" than my "headphone direct on line out")
The K712pro sound is close to the hd650 which is "in head", the K712pro is "slightly outside head with bass in head" and K501 (with much less bass) is "clear outside of head"
All 3 headphones (300, 120 and 62 ohm) I play between 1 and 2:30 o'clock to be the volume I want to listen)

I'll try now to get Elderbrook - Could and try to replicate azertyproxy's click problem.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #764 of 2,233
Contradiction? Some have clicks, others don't. You can view the series and batch of devices by the number on the case. Also check the firmware version. Maybe the clicks only refer to one series / batch / firmware? Report here if clicks cause problems. For the rest, we believe that there are no problems. The device is excellent according to reviews.

Dec 8, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #765 of 2,233
Hello folks, new to the channel. Thinking of maybe picking up the K9...what's the consensus? not too many reviews out...:smile_phones:
I'd say wait and see if FiiO is able to fix the ongoing issues. They sell it as a "flagship" but so far they only sell it for a "flagship" price, support is not even close to "flagship" level.
This device is too expensive to buy now and hope they'll fix basic functionality somewhere down the line.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back