FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Oct 19, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #466 of 2,233
Needless to say, other devices I had, on day one, also had Mqa rendering and decoding problems as well as other distortion problems. The seriousness of FiiO will be evaluated for how they will be able to solve problems as they arise because no device is free from problems. FiiO puts much of its future credibility on the K9 Pro and I hope they put a lot of effort into that
We will update the MQA-related issues as soon as possible, but in a responsible manner, our updated firmware must have undergone extensive testing, so it will take a little longer

Thank you very much for your support!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 20, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #467 of 2,233
Still trying to love this thing, as i like the idea of replacing everything on my desk except the LD MK3 with it a lot. But i increasingly tend to think that something is indeed wrong with the one i received. I A/B-ed a bit with the C3R and the sound partly seems to be downright unbalanced and off, for example male vocals on my K9 Pro tend to sound recessed and veiled. Also, trailing ends seem to be very much compressed. This can't be normal, can it?

Oct 20, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #468 of 2,233
Still trying to love this thing, as i like the idea of replacing everything on my desk except the LD MK3 with it a lot. But i increasingly tend to think that something is indeed wrong with the one i received. I A/B-ed a bit with the C3R and the sound partly seems to be downright unbalanced and off, for example male vocals on my K9 Pro tend to sound recessed and veiled. Also, trailing ends seem to be very much compressed. This can't be normal, can it?
Forgive me, but I do not find anything you say, quite the opposite and I come from R2R, GSX-mini, Meze, etc...

Oct 20, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #469 of 2,233
Forgive me, but I do not find anything you say, quite the opposite and I come from R2R, GSX-mini, Meze, etc...
I thought so, maybe asking for a repair/replacement is the way to go.

Oct 22, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #470 of 2,233
I just received my K9 Pro and have been using it for 2 days.

When using it on Pre-out mode which is one of the reasons I got it it has the volume go up and down randomly on its own while playing. I believe a few people in this thread are having the same issues. It does not matter how I set the switches on the front panel it keeps having this issue.

Also when I install the driver from Fiio's website Windows shows it as a Fiio Q device. Is this correct? When I first connected it Windows showed it as a Fiio K9 Pro. Did I use the wrong driver?

The last issue is if I use it in DAC mode Tidal (in exclusive mode) it will not let me control the volume from windows. I had my speakers at max volume and hit play with windows volume at 4 and I almost blew my speakers.

I have sent the above to Fiio support and waiting to hear back from them.

I am really worried I have a bad unit.

Oct 22, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #471 of 2,233
I just received my K9 Pro and have been using it for 2 days.

When using it on Pre-out mode which is one of the reasons I got it it has the volume go up and down randomly on its own while playing. I believe a few people in this thread are having the same issues. It does not matter how I set the switches on the front panel it keeps having this issue.

Also when I install the driver from Fiio's website Windows shows it as a Fiio Q device. Is this correct? When I first connected it Windows showed it as a Fiio K9 Pro. Did I use the wrong driver?

The last issue is if I use it in DAC mode Tidal (in exclusive mode) it will not let me control the volume from windows. I had my speakers at max volume and hit play with windows volume at 4 and I almost blew my speakers.

I have sent the above to Fiio support and waiting to hear back from them.

I am really worried I have a bad unit.

why are your speakers at max volume.....

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #472 of 2,233
The speakers I have can be set to max volume and controlled by the pre amp or by windows depending on how it is setup. They are a pain to adjust the volume with as the main volume control. Terrible remote control and hub design. Amazing sound though so work around make it better.

Paradigm Millennium 2 speaker set.

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #473 of 2,233
The speakers I have can be set to max volume and controlled by the pre amp or by windows depending on how it is setup. They are a pain to adjust the volume with as the main volume control. Terrible remote control and hub design. Amazing sound though so work around make it better.

Paradigm Millennium 2 speaker set.
what a conincidence....I have the Paradigm millieniaone CT for my desk and do agree that the remote is a pos.

the workaround can be dangerous as you have found. it's generally not a good idea to max out the speakers, and max out the source as you probably know.

generally tidal exclusive mode will force max volume in order to prevent resampling. volume is then controlled on your preamp

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #474 of 2,233
That is a coincidence. Mine are the CT 2.

When you use the K9 IN DAC mode the volume has to be controlled either from the speakers or windows. I use to have the Audioquest Cobalt day as my source and had the speakers set to around 60 and controlled sound level through windows. Worked flawlessly even with Tidal.

I hope I did not damage my CT 2s.

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #475 of 2,233
That is a coincidence. Mine are the CT 2.

When you use the K9 IN DAC mode the volume has to be controlled either from the speakers or windows. I use to have the Audioquest Cobalt day as my source and had the speakers set to around 60 and controlled sound level through windows. Worked flawlessly even with Tidal.

I hope I did not damage my CT 2s.

cobalt doesn't have a physical volume control so their driver allows for volume control given it has a headphone amp output

Not sure about K9 if the signal goes through the preamp before going to line out, or if the line out skips the preamp completely as is generally the intent of a dac

Oct 22, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #476 of 2,233

The older driver shows FiiO Q device. The beta version on the same page correctly identifies it as a FiiO K9 Pro.

Oct 23, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #478 of 2,233
I had a chance to listen to it with my AC setup.
phone (Tidal) -> USB,
RCA -> AMP,
AMP -> AC

MQA works
no problem with volume.

But I am listening on DAC output, not Pre. Cause I do not have "pre" input on my AMP, only line.

So looks like a problem only with "Pre" output.

I Will think about buying second one on ES9038 :) to compare

Oct 23, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #479 of 2,233
I had a chance to listen to it with my AC setup.
phone (Tidal) -> USB,
RCA -> AMP,
AMP -> AC

MQA works
no problem with volume.

But I am listening on DAC output, not Pre. Cause I do not have "pre" input on my AMP, only line.

So looks like a problem only with "Pre" output.

I Will think about buying second one on ES9038 :) to compare
Absolutely not. The MQA rendering issue is on dac, amp and preamp mode, the issue is only from MQA to MQA files. It depends on the format. Very soon will be available a firmware update that solves

Oct 23, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #480 of 2,233
Absolutely not. The MQA rendering issue is on dac, amp and preamp mode, the issue is only from MQA to MQA files. It depends on the format. Very soon will be available a firmware update that solves

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back