FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Jun 26, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #1,816 of 2,226
Recently, I am seeing dropouts in sound when playing with VLC for my movies. However, when I switched to playing on foobar2k with music, I dont have problem.
The error i get is USB connection error. I was thinking of reloading the driver for K9 but decided not too. Not sure why. I started playing my movies with my old JRiver 21 and so far no dropout...
I think it time K9pro get a firmware upgrade....
note: PC Win 11... K9pro AKM ...
Dear Stealer,

What's the firmware version of your K9Pro now? If the issue remains, please contact support@fiio.com about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 30, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #1,817 of 2,226
I had the problem today for the first time that the K9 Pro ESS was turned on from standby and yet no sound was played. I had also tried with another headphone jack, but without success. I had to turn the K9 Pro ESS off from behind and turn it back on, then it worked again. Of course this is not normal, should I be worried? Why did this happen? Should I always turn off the K9 Pro ESS from behind at night from now on? If I do it I just hate that I have to turn the light off from the app every time, why it cannot save my option?!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #1,818 of 2,226
I had the problem today for the first time that the K9 Pro ESS was turned on from standby and yet no sound was played. I had also tried with another headphone jack, but without success. I had to turn the K9 Pro ESS off from behind and turn it back on, then it worked again. Of course this is not normal, should I be worried? Why did this happen? Should I always turn off the K9 Pro ESS from behind at night from now on? If I do it I just hate that I have to turn the light off from the app every time, why it cannot save my option?!
I've you tried cycling once between all the inputs?

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #1,820 of 2,226
I had a similar issue that the sound was there but crazy noise. I had to restart the device to get the proper sound.

Jul 1, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #1,822 of 2,226
It happened to me like every other week for pretty frequent use. It's definitely something to do with the digital part, so switching headphone jack won't make any difference. Sometimes I cycle through input (clicking the 'input' button) and it fixes things. Sometimes I need restart foobar and there are also times it needs a cold reboot like a computer with power switch at the back.

I guess it's not only K9's problem. It could be caused by the entire play-back chain, PC (Windows, foobar, driver), USB interface, K9. Different users suffer different combination of irregularities and it's not easy to pinpoint the causes and fixes, still I think FiiO should test more and release a firmware update soon to fix at least some of issues that can be recreated across the board.

Jul 1, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #1,823 of 2,226
It happened to me like every other week for pretty frequent use. It's definitely something to do with the digital part, so switching headphone jack won't make any difference. Sometimes I cycle through input (clicking the 'input' button) and it fixes things. Sometimes I need restart foobar and there are also times it needs a cold reboot like a computer with power switch at the back.

I guess it's not only K9's problem. It could be caused by the entire play-back chain, PC (Windows, foobar, driver), USB interface, K9. Different users suffer different combination of irregularities and it's not easy to pinpoint the causes and fixes, still I think FiiO should test more and release a firmware update soon to fix at least some of issues that can be recreated across the board.
Mine turned on by himself both on coax and usb. Either this is a bug, or it should be set off via the switch in the back by design.

Jul 1, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #1,824 of 2,226
Mine turned on by himself both on coax and usb. Either this is a bug, or it should be set off via the switch in the back by design.
If I remember correctly mine (ESS version) turned itself on once; mine is always with USB connection. Again I think it needs a firmware update. It is so complex and essentially, it's a computer by itself, and combined with Windows host there are array of issues would require some fine tuning. With my old DAC/AMP, a no-name box with technology from more than 10 years ago, never experienced any of the problems I have with K9.

Jul 3, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #1,827 of 2,226
I have the Fiio AKM K9 Pro version. The Chord sounds a lot better than the Fiio.

Thank you very much for the reply.

I would like to buy the Chord Hugo 2 but the problem is that I'm not sure that it is the right product for me since it is portable and I'm looking for a stationary option. On the other hand it is old and I would not like to spend so much money for a product of 2017 – the same is for the Chord QUTEST. So I'm asking you if you know a better, newer DAC+AMP than the Chord Hugo 2 at the same price (about 2000€ or 2000$). For example: what about the RME ADI-2 DAC FS? It is the only product which I practically found online after hours of searching. I hope you can help me with this.

Jul 3, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #1,828 of 2,226
Thank you very much for the reply.

I would like to buy the Chord Hugo 2 but the problem is that I'm not sure that it is the right product for me since it is portable and I'm looking for a stationary option. On the other hand it is old and I would not like to spend so much money for a product of 2017 – the same is for the Chord QUTEST. So I'm asking you if you know a better, newer DAC+AMP than the Chord Hugo 2 at the same price (about 2000€ or 2000$). For example: what about the RME ADI-2 DAC FS? It is the only product which I practically found online after hours of searching. I hope you can help me with this.
It really depends, personally I dont like how chord has that lack of sharpness when needed and how the attack and decay are slightly sustained to give this rolling effect, on the other hand many people enjoy it and call such sound musical. Its mostly a flavour thing and generally it would be best to mention what you are pairing with and what querks you want to your sound as well has what you listen to.

For example, the people that frequent the iBasso DX300 thread have a hard on for AMP12 but personally I would never take it over the stock AMP11mk2 due to how congested the amp12 sounds on my gear Fiio FD7/ATH-AWKT.

Jul 3, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #1,829 of 2,226
It really depends, personally I dont like how chord has that lack of sharpness when needed and how the attack and decay are slightly sustained to give this rolling effect, on the other hand many people enjoy it and call such sound musical. Its mostly a flavour thing and generally it would be best to mention what you are pairing with and what querks you want to your sound as well has what you listen to.

For example, the people that frequent the iBasso DX300 thread have a hard on for AMP12 but personally I would never take it over the stock AMP11mk2 due to how congested the amp12 sounds on my gear Fiio FD7/ATH-AWKT.

I understand. So, It would be nice to know how the Hugo 2 sounds better than the K9 Pro ESS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back