[FiiO K9]FiiO Desktop DAC and Headphone Amplifier K9 Is Officially Released!
Sep 30, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #166 of 223
Honestly, yes, the set is bright ... that brightness comes from the Ananda and not so much from the K9.

However, for me it is not a problem for 2 reasons ... the first is that I like that audio profile .... and the second is that I always use equalizer.

So the short answer is yes, the set is bright.

The Ananda Nano is excelent but not perfect, have timbre problem in upper region, and that you have to equalize them no matter what.

When you do it, it seems that they become top-notch headphones. And they have nothing to wish on really expensive headphones.

Have the most difficult elements to achieve in a good headphone, that cannot be achieved by equalizing .... holography, raw resolution, soundstage, realism, naturalness, etc .... the rest is easy to correct.

Greetings
Thanks for explaining , yes eq is needed for ananda but still as you said nothing beats good detailed technical driver and tuning could be equalized. I still was not sure if k9 is better from value quality point to k9pro but seems as a source is quite really enough for nano and for me nano level headphone is more than i need :) so if k9 not so bright as a source for me it a good sign. And nano is expected to be so.
Thank once more

Sep 30, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #167 of 223
Thanks for explaining , yes eq is needed for ananda but still as you said nothing beats good detailed technical driver and tuning could be equalized. I still was not sure if k9 is better from value quality point to k9pro but seems as a source is quite really enough for nano and for me nano level headphone is more than i need :) so if k9 not so bright as a source for me it a good sign. And nano is expected to be so.
Thank once more
You're welcome, greetings

Nov 23, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #168 of 223
Hi All,
I'm considering a purchase of the K9 but trying to find some information. Since the K9 has a 4.4mm balanced input, could I use an XLR to 4.4mm convertor to allow the K9 to act as a ADC for a Shure sm7b microphone? IE, the input would show up in a DAW such as Reaper so I could make recordings. If so, could I know which DAC chip the K9 uses to make this happen?

TIA.

Nov 23, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #169 of 223
Hi All,
I'm considering a purchase of the K9 but trying to find some information. Since the K9 has a 4.4mm balanced input, could I use an XLR to 4.4mm convertor to allow the K9 to act as a ADC for a Shure sm7b microphone? IE, the input would show up in a DAW such as Reaper so I could make recordings. If so, could I know which DAC chip the K9 uses to make this happen?

TIA.
The 4.4mm input is pure analogue. It gets amplified by the internal amp and you get the signal in the headphone or analogue outputs.
ADC is not possible.

Nov 23, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #170 of 223
Hi All,

TIA.
I don’t think so. The balanced 4,4 mm. input is for the amplifier section only, so you can’t convert it to digital with this device.

Nov 23, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #172 of 223
both interesting and helpful replies, thank you. So I guess the next progression of this question would be to ask if any of the inputs do analogue to digital or are they all purely analogue?
No ADC available in this device.

Nov 27, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #173 of 223
So, I've been here before on this thread, but - now with much more intent... I'm looking at getting myself a Christmas present, and - it is either going to be the K9 or an OLED monitor, I know that this has been answered indirectly before, however - to re-pose the question, for those that have both the K7 and the PL50, moving to the K9, is it a real night and day / worthwhile upgrade, or - is it like a side-grade with benefits?

I really like the K7BT/PL50 combo, will I really like the K9 a lot more?

FWIW I listen to a lot of YouTube / YTMusic and Apple Music.

I know there are a couple of people that use the K9 with the FiiO FD7 IEMs, so that hopefully helps to know where I am.

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #174 of 223
So, I've been here before on this thread, but - now with much more intent... I'm looking at getting myself a Christmas present, and - it is either going to be the K9 or an OLED monitor, I know that this has been answered indirectly before, however - to re-pose the question, for those that have both the K7 and the PL50, moving to the K9, is it a real night and day / worthwhile upgrade, or - is it like a side-grade with benefits?

I really like the K7BT/PL50 combo, will I really like the K9 a lot more?

FWIW I listen to a lot of YouTube / YTMusic and Apple Music.

I know there are a couple of people that use the K9 with the FiiO FD7 IEMs, so that hopefully helps to know where I am.
Their sound signature is slightly different.
The warmer K7 vs the more technical and sharper K9.

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #175 of 223
12072648.jpg

I review IEMs using the K9 Pro and the K9 shown here. Sounds fantabulous using IEMs much better than you would imagine the Penon 10th anniversary shown here is a 9 ohm IEM meaning they are more sensitive than average IEMs. No hiss on my end out of both the K9 pro or the K9. Fiios dac/amps are excellent for IEMs by the way. I did my review of the K7 mostly with IEM usage. You might get a waterfall at the most using something like the Andromedas but otherwise I haven't heard an IEM out of one of these that I didn't like or any showing obvious hiss.
Does plugging in the 1/4 jack adapter make a difference in the sound? Like is it functioning as a jumper or something?

Nov 29, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #177 of 223
@FiiO I hope you can provide users to just choose 1 color (all the time) for the volume wheel. Or maybe 1 color (user selectable)... then white if there is no input (instead of the rainbow effect which I find annoying).
Dear friend,

Thank you for your feedback, I will submit your comments to the engineers, thank you!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 1, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #178 of 223
So, I have received the K9 and it sounds great, but - when i try and update the low pass filter via the FiiO control app, the app force closes (iOS) - does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Edit: despite not being able to access the fillers, I will agree wholeheartedly with previous posters that the K9 does special things with the FiiO FD7 that the K7 BT simply cannot do (even with the K7 BT having the PL50 as its PSU)

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #179 of 223
Hello this is my first post and i apologise for asking dumb questions but i have very little knowledge about DAC´s and amps and that sort of stuff

I have an old RHA L1 DACAMP that i bought back in 2018 and i have been pretty happy with it but after i bought a Fiio M11S DAP and have heard how good the sound from that is i want to replace the old RHA L1 with something better

I use Sennheiser HD599 headphones since i like them and think they are great all around headphones they are not the best i am aware of that but i i think they do most thing good enough they dont sound too cold or clinical and they dont sound too muddy either

I have tired the Sennheiser HD660S2 headphones and think they sound more clear than the HD599´s does so for some types of music they are much better

So i am looking to get a DAC and amp for use with both the 599 and 660S2´s

I have very little to pick from and after looking around i think i am going to go with the Fiio K9 Pro ESS

What i am looking for a is a better DAC and amp for my H599 but i dont want them to sound flat cold or clinical compared to the RHA L1 and i also want the K9 to be able to drive the HD660S2´s

When i listen to music i play FLAC files from my PC so i need it to be able to work with a Windows PC

Is the Fiio K9 Pro ESS completely the wrong option for my use case?
Thank you for reading

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #180 of 223
Hello this is my first post and i apologise for asking dumb questions but i have very little knowledge about DAC´s and amps and that sort of stuff

I have an old RHA L1 DACAMP that i bought back in 2018 and i have been pretty happy with it but after i bought a Fiio M11S DAP and have heard how good the sound from that is i want to replace the old RHA L1 with something better

I use Sennheiser HD599 headphones since i like them and think they are great all around headphones they are not the best i am aware of that but i i think they do most thing good enough they dont sound too cold or clinical and they dont sound too muddy either

I have tired the Sennheiser HD660S2 headphones and think they sound more clear than the HD599´s does so for some types of music they are much better

So i am looking to get a DAC and amp for use with both the 599 and 660S2´s

I have very little to pick from and after looking around i think i am going to go with the Fiio K9 Pro ESS

What i am looking for a is a better DAC and amp for my H599 but i dont want them to sound flat cold or clinical compared to the RHA L1 and i also want the K9 to be able to drive the HD660S2´s

When i listen to music i play FLAC files from my PC so i need it to be able to work with a Windows PC

Is the Fiio K9 Pro ESS completely the wrong option for my use case?
Thank you for reading
Not sure if you are looking at buying a FiiO K9 or K9 Pro? However as far as the FiiO K9 pairing with the Sennheiser HD660S2 goes they pair quite well and there is plenty of power to drive them, certainly not cold or flat sounding but DO sound cleaner than they do with my Woo Audio WA7 tube amp.
I can't say the the same for the original Sennheiser 660S though, those did not pair well at all with either the K7 or K9. Ideally if you want a warmer sounding signature Sennheaiser 600 series tend to sound better with tube amps in general. I have never owned HD599 so cannot comment on those sorry...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back