[FiiO K9]FiiO Desktop DAC and Headphone Amplifier K9 Is Officially Released!
Dec 1, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #181 of 223
So, I have received the K9 and it sounds great, but - when i try and update the low pass filter via the FiiO control app, the app force closes (iOS) - does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Edit: despite not being able to access the fillers, I will agree wholeheartedly with previous posters that the K9 does special things with the FiiO FD7 that the K7 BT simply cannot do (even with the K7 BT having the PL50 as its PSU)
Nice to know its not just me that thinks there is something special about the FiiO FD7/K9 pairing, it really is sublime :relaxed:

Dec 1, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #182 of 223
Not sure if you are looking at buying a FiiO K9 or K9 Pro? However as far as the FiiO K9 pairing with the Sennheiser HD660S2 goes they pair quite well and there is plenty of power to drive them, certainly not cold or flat sounding but DO sound cleaner than they do with my Woo Audio WA7 tube amp.
I can't say the the same for the original Sennheiser 660S though, those did not pair well at all with either the K7 or K9. Ideally if you want a warmer sounding signature Sennheaiser 600 series tend to sound better with tube amps in general. I have never owned HD599 so cannot comment on those sorry...
Sory i missed the fact that there is both a K9 a K9 Pro with AKM DAC and a K9 with ESS DAC
The only one i can find is the K9 Pro ESS

As for the H599 the best way i can describe them is less clear than the HD660S2 but warmer sounding with more base/bass in them
I have used them for so long that i find anything else strange sounding

I tired the HD660S2 yesterday at a local shop with my brand new Fiio M11S and vocals sounded more much clear with the 660S2 but the background sounded more flat due to less base/bass

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #183 of 223
Sory i missed the fact that there is both a K9 a K9 Pro with AKM DAC and a K9 with ESS DAC

As for the H599 the best way i can describe them is less clear than the HD660S2 but warmer sounding with more base/bass in them
I have used them for so long that i find anything else strange sounding
The AKM version was a limited edition first run, using the last of the chips that FiiO had after the AKM factory fire, the ESS version became the standard Pro version.

The same happened with the M11 Plus DAP, the original AKM version being suffixed “Limited”

Dec 1, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #184 of 223
This thread is for the FiiO K9 which has 2x ESS 9068AS DAC's there is also a FiiO K9 Pro which features a single AKM 4499 however this has long been superceeded due to the factory fire at AKM several years ago now and is very hard to find. There is also currently available a FiiO K9 Pro ESS which features 2x ESS 9038 Pro DAC's. Hope that clears things up?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #185 of 223
This thread is for the FiiO K9 which has 2x ESS9068AS DAC's there is also a FiiO K9 Pro which features a single AKM 4499 however this has long been superceeded due to the factory fire at AKM several years ago now and is very hard to find now. There is also currently available a FiiO K9 Pro ESS which features 2x 9038 Pro DAC's. Hope that clears things up?
Yes thank you i found that out just before you posted i was talking about the K9 Pro ESS as its the only one i can find
Is there a thread for the K9 Pro ESS?

Dec 1, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #186 of 223
Dec 1, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #188 of 223
Right thanks i will ask there instead of here
Note that to get the most out of the K9 or K9 Pro you need balanced cables in all your headphones.

Dec 1, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #189 of 223
Note that to get the most out of the K9 or K9 Pro you need balanced cables in all your headphones.
The 660S2 comes with 4,4mm balanced from what i understand
The 599 comes with 3,5mm and 6,35mm and i have not seen a 4,4mm cable for the HD599

Edit: seems like you can get aftermarket cables for the HD599 found these on Amazon.de
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B0B4J7QPN4/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A17KQ6WEO823WV&psc=1

Thank you for the info i was not aware of that like i said i dont have a clue

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #190 of 223
@scracy I don’t know which is the biggest revelation for me, how the FD7 scale, or how much better the K9 drives them versus the K7…

This isn’t just new toy hype, I can metaphorically see my way around the composition with the K9 vs it being flat / 2D on the K7, texturing is on another level, I’m quite chuffed.

More than just a subtle difference between the 7 and 9!!

Dec 1, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #191 of 223
@scracy I don’t know which is the biggest revelation for me, how the FD7 scale, or how much better the K9 drives them versus the K7…

This isn’t just new toy hype, I can metaphorically see my way around the composition with the K9 vs it being flat / 2D on the K7, texturing is on another level, I’m quite chuffed.

More than just a subtle difference between the 7 and 9!!
100% agree with you, it was quite differcult to compare your previous K7BT/PL50 as I hadn't heard that particular combo however I had heard my previous K7/FD7 combo so I had a baseline to go by. The FiiO K9 is much much cleaner sounding than the K7 and has a wider and deeper soundstage, texturing, layering etc. is on another level by comparison to the K7 as well, as good as the K7 is its not a patch on the K9 in my opinion. I have heard and compared the K9 Pro ESS to the K9 and to be perfectly honest none of the IEM's or headphones I poses can really reveal a great deal of difference between the two, at least not my ears, zero regrets upgrading to the K9.

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #192 of 223
100% agree with you, it was quite differcult to compare your previous K7BT/PL50 as I hadn't heard that particular combo however I had heard my previous K7/FD7 combo so I had a baseline to go by. The FiiO K9 is much much cleaner sounding than the K7 and has a wider and deeper soundstage, texturing, layering etc. is on another level by comparison to the K7 as well, as good as the K7 is its not a patch on the K9 in my opinion. I have heard and compared the K9 Pro ESS to the K9 and to be perfectly honest none of the IEM's or headphones I poses can really reveal a great deal of difference between the two, at least not my ears, zero regrets upgrading to the K9.
The FiiO (Jade Audio) PL50 is the linear PSU upgrade for the K7(BT), which pushed the total cost of that setup to £350 - I was a couple of days late on getting the K9 for £450, I got it for £480 (Amazon UK has lost the plot, increasing its cost to £1,221 after I purchased my one).

I have enjoyed my time with the K7, but I do wish that I hadn’t read the reviews that said the K7 and PL50 was only a little short of the K9, I think I backed the wrong horse, but - all good now - or it will be when I can get to try out the filters on the K9…. That being said, have you dabbled? Is it worth me being annoyed that I can’t change them?

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #193 of 223
The FiiO (Jade Audio) PL50 is the linear PSU upgrade for the K7(BT), which pushed the total cost of that setup to £350 - I was a couple of days late on getting the K9 for £450, I got it for £480 (Amazon UK has lost the plot, increasing its cost to £1,221 after I purchased my one).

I have enjoyed my time with the K7, but I do wish that I hadn’t read the reviews that said the K7 and PL50 was only a little short of the K9, I think I backed the wrong horse, but - all good now - or it will be when I can get to try out the filters on the K9…. That being said, have you dabbled? Is it worth me being annoyed that I can’t change them?
To be honest I havent tried the filters so I cannot make an informed opinion sorry...

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #195 of 223
I do have to ask a newbie question actually, luckily right now it is winter for me, but when the weather gets warmer, will the fact that I have an iPad stand base on top of the K9 be an issue for heat dissipation? Well aware of the vents on the side, but don’t want to mess anything up…

Quite a nice little streamer setup :)

Attachments

• IMG_0447.jpeg
    IMG_0447.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back