[FiiO K9]FiiO Desktop DAC and Headphone Amplifier K9 Is Officially Released!
Aug 22, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #137 of 223
Just made the jump from my Zen DAC V2 / Zen CAN to the K9 and I have to say the upgrade was worth it. The K9 is much more detailed, neutral and spacious paired with the Ananda Stealth. I was also amazed at the low noise floor and compatibility with my CFA Andromedas 2020. On the Zen DAC, even at the lowest volume it would be way too loud, but on the K9 low gain, I can use my Andromedas again.

Overall satisfied with the upgrade

Aug 28, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #138 of 223
I’ve seen the posts here re the differences between the K7(BT) and the K9 - and whilst I have the K7BT - I also have the PL50 PSU, I think this combo sounds fantastic with the FD7 & RC-LE Pro 2022 cable - as such, would anyone with the K7/PL50 still make the jump to the K9 as easily as those without the PSU?

(I’m trying to talk myself out of the K9 - and, fwiw I’m very much an AKM sound kind of person - maybe it’s FOMO, but I’m still intrigued and need talking out of it!)

Aug 28, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #139 of 223
I’ve seen the posts here re the differences between the K7(BT) and the K9 - and whilst I have the K7BT - I also have the PL50 PSU, I think this combo sounds fantastic with the FD7 & RC-LE Pro 2022 cable - as such, would anyone with the K7/PL50 still make the jump to the K9 as easily as those without the PSU?

(I’m trying to talk myself out of the K9 - and, fwiw I’m very much an AKM sound kind of person - maybe it’s FOMO, but I’m still intrigued and need talking out of it!)
There goes my pal duncan!! Lol. Dude pull the trigger already. 😆

Aug 28, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #140 of 223

To be fair it really depends on what sort of preference you have, if you prefer a smoother sound stick with what you have but it if you prefer a cleaner sound then the K9 is the way to go, I upgraded from the K7 non bluetooth (without PL50) to the K9 and have zero regrets, the K9 does play nice with the FD7.

Aug 28, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #142 of 223
Para ser justo, realmente depende do tipo de preferência que você tem, se você prefere um som mais suave com o que você tem, mas se você prefere um som mais limpo, então o K9 é a melhor opção, atualizei do K7 sem bluetooth ( sem PL50) para o K9 e não tenho nenhum arrependimento, o K9 funciona bem com o FD7.
K9 Pro AKM?

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #143 of 223
Sep 7, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #144 of 223
@Duncan this review might interest you it compares the K9 to the K7 BT :relaxed:
https://www.headfonia.com/fiio-k9-review/
i compared k7 or k5pro and k9 pro is clearly better for me. So want to get 9 or 9pro but not sure if 9 pro worth bigger price for my middle level planar headphones and iems. K9pro i really liked when demoed at shop, but cant hear k9. But still looks like from value point k9 better choise. And difference shouldn't be big in sound.

Sep 7, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #145 of 223
i compared k7 or k5pro and k9 pro is clearly better for me. So want to get 9 or 9pro but not sure if 9 pro worth bigger price for my middle level planar headphones and iems. K9pro i really liked when demoed at shop, but cant hear k9. But still looks like from value point k9 better choise. And difference shouldn't be big in sound.
There is a review on this site by @Dsnuts in which he states (estimates) the difference in sound quality overall between the K9 and the K9 Pro is around 8%, basically unless you have specific high end gear its very hard to distinguish the difference between the two, without being able to do a direct A/B comparison I doubt very much that there would be a noticeable difference, K9 is much much better value than the K9 Pro :relaxed: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-k9.26585/reviews

Sep 7, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #146 of 223
There is a review on this site by @Dsnuts in which he states (estimates) the difference in sound quality overall between the K9 and the K9 Pro is around 8%, basically unless you have specific high end gear its very hard to distinguish the difference between the two, without being able to do a direct A/B comparison I doubt very much that there would be a noticeable difference, K9 is much much better value than the K9 Pro :relaxed: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-k9.26585/reviews
Thanks, seems like k9 at the moment in this price region is one of the best value amp/dacs. And it is better value than k9pro, so now i am pretty sure i will get it. :wink: Wasn't sure but now i am pretty sure for my not high end headphones k9 will be what they maks needs.

Sep 7, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #147 of 223
Thanks, seems like k9 at the moment in this price region is one of the best value amp/dacs. And it is better value than k9pro, so now i am pretty sure i will get it. :wink: Wasn't sure but now i am pretty sure for my not high end headphones k9 will be what they maks needs.
No problem, I'm very happy with my K9 and really having auditioned the K9 pro with my own headphones and IEM's in store I really don't feel that I'm missing out on anything.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say but to me the K9 looks better as well, I'm not a fan personally of the "tacky" gold volume knob and the darker shade of blue LED vs the classier looking all black volume knob on the K9 with a much nicer and different shade of blue LED, each to their own but my 2 cents :relaxed:

Sep 7, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #148 of 223
A headfier recently ask me what I felt about the K9 and unless your ok with spending a good $350 more for the K9 pro ESS that is a substantial cost increase from the K9. I would go with the K9. To be fair, for some folks that extra sound refinement and bit more power will be worth that but for most folks. I would spend that money you save on getting a new headphone or IEM to use on the K9

One aspect that I want to touch on being another benefit of the K9 vs the K9 pro. It simply runs cooler. No secret the K9 pro run fairly hot. It isnt a big deal as FiiO made sure it has plenty of venting to mitigate the heat but the K9 in comparison runs slightly warm but not actually hot like the K9 pro. If you live in a place that is hot from the get go this will matter to you. I suppose that might be a benefit during the winter time but otherwise the K9 gets dangerously close to the K9 pro performance and sound and for that it is definitley FiiOs best value dac/amp imo.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #149 of 223
A headfier recently ask me what I felt about the K9 and unless your ok with spending a good $350 more for the K9 pro ESS that is a substantial cost increase from the K9. I would go with the K9. To be fair, for some folks that extra sound refinement and bit more power will be worth that but for most folks. I would spend that money you save on getting a new headphone or IEM to use on the K9

One aspect that I want to touch on being another benefit of the K9 vs the K9 pro. It simply runs cooler. No secret the K9 pro run fairly hot. It isnt a big deal as FiiO made sure it has plenty of venting to mitigate the heat but the K9 in comparison runs slightly warm but not actually hot like the K9 pro. If you live in a place that is hot from the get go this will matter to you. I suppose that might be a benefit during the winter time but otherwise the K9 gets dangerously close to the K9 pro performance and sound and for that it is definitley FiiOs best value dac/amp imo.
your insightful inspection of these devices in the review is inspiring and made me rethink before spending more for k9pro. Later and quite recently appeared more reviews of big sites stating similar opinion, how k9 is close and this cemented my decision. As i heard only k9pro i left only with such source of information but i am sure that the minimum base what made me so much in love with k9pro is in k9. So further i could say when i get k9. But thank you and @scracy here. I am grateful guys

Sep 7, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #150 of 223
Dsnuts is right, as usual, about the warm temps the K9 PRO ESS can reach.
While not alarmingly hot, it still sits a bit too close to my laptop on my too-tiny desktop for my comfort.

BTW: I have tried both the K9 PRO ESS and the smaller and less expensive K7BT and both are absolutely wonderful in their respective price categories.
Warmly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back