FiiO K7/K7BT Desktop DAC&Headphone AMP Discussion | XLR Balance | Dual THX AAA | Xmos | ...
Jul 30, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #1,233 of 1,433
For the budget price that the K7 comes in at, alongside the PL50 (approx £100 less than the K9 as a combo) - I’m shocked at just how competent it is - the bass texturing is fantastic - listening to “Did you know there’s a tunnel under ocean blvd” by Lana Del Rey, the opening of the track, I’ve not heard many headphones with that quality of texture, let alone IEMs - the K7 bundle is performing wonders - and the richness of the mids, quite delicious!

Aug 1, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #1,234 of 1,433
@FiiO A weird bug with my set. I played a >48Khz FLAC which changed the colour of the lights to yellow but now they are refusing to revert back to blue even on music with lower sampling rate (i.e Spotify). When I play a <48Khz file with Foobar2000 it reverts to blue but after that even switching back to Spotify brings the yellow light back.

Aug 1, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #1,235 of 1,433
@FiiO A weird bug with my set. I played a >48Khz FLAC which changed the colour of the lights to yellow but now they are refusing to revert back to blue even on music with lower sampling rate (i.e Spotify). When I play a <48Khz file with Foobar2000 it reverts to blue but after that even switching back to Spotify brings the yellow light back.
First of all, I would check that it is not the configuration on the PC. I assume the operating system is Windows 10 or 11. It may be because the Windows sound settings are set to a sample rate higher than 48,000 Hz and that Spotify does not use a dedicated audio protocol such as WASAPI in exclusive mode or ASIO, whereas Foobar does. The mentioned protocols bypass the Windows audio settings and therefore would not be resampled and consequently would not trigger the yellow light on the DAC.

Aug 1, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #1,236 of 1,433
First of all, I would check that it is not the configuration on the PC. I assume the operating system is Windows 10 or 11. It may be because the Windows sound settings are set to a sample rate higher than 48,000 Hz and that Spotify does not use a dedicated audio protocol such as WASAPI in exclusive mode or ASIO, whereas Foobar does. The mentioned protocols bypass the Windows audio settings and therefore would not be resampled and consequently would not trigger the yellow light on the DAC.
The source is a MBP. I think something was up with the driver. Managed to fix it with

1. Play a <48KHz file through Foobar2000
2. Turn off the K7 through the volume button
3. Close Foobar2000
4. Turn K7 back on

Now everything is back to normal

Aug 1, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #1,237 of 1,433
One thing I’d love to know, the THX AAA788+ I can find no reference to a + version, is this a FiiO tweaked version of the AAA788, or do I need to be taught all over again how to use the internet?

Aug 1, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #1,238 of 1,433
One thing I’d love to know, the THX AAA788+ I can find no reference to a + version, is this a FiiO tweaked version of the AAA788, or do I need to be taught all over again how to use the internet?
FiiO worked with THX directly to develop a custom version of the amp for their products. It’s a FiiO-exclusive, which is why THX does not list it on their website.

Aug 1, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #1,239 of 1,433
FiiO worked with THX directly to develop a custom version of the amp for their products. It’s a FiiO-exclusive, which is why THX does not list it on their website.
Thanks!! Good to know :)

Aug 1, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #1,240 of 1,433
Can anyone help me. Iam using a fiio k7bt with my iPhone. Iam opting to use a otg cable rather than Bluetooth for the sake of ensuring i receive maximum quality but i want to experiment with eq but i can't unless i use bt.

Is there any way i can experiment with eq using a wired connection on ios?

Alternatively if i decided to use Bluetooth, where can i find eq settings / presets to experiment with?

Aug 1, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #1,241 of 1,433
Can anyone help me. Iam using a fiio k7bt with my iPhone. Iam opting to use a otg cable rather than Bluetooth for the sake of ensuring i receive maximum quality but i want to experiment with eq but i can't unless i use bt.

Alternatively if i decided to use Bluetooth, where can i find eq settings / presets to experiment with?
EQ settings while using BT with K7 will be available in the FiiO app. If you are using iTunes/Music for playback, there are EQ settings under the Music tab in settings.

Aug 1, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #1,242 of 1,433
EQ settings while using BT with K7 will be available in the FiiO app. If you are using iTunes/Music for playback, there are EQ settings under the Music tab in settings.
Yes but i have no idea what to tweak in the eq settings. Ideally i was hoping it would have presets.

My music source is quboz which iam streaming from my ios device.

Aug 1, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #1,244 of 1,433
Has anyone used Boom or Amarra Play? Both ios apps that connect to Tidal / Quboz and you stream through the app and can use custom eq etc?

I use Boom3D on both Windows and Android. Very good, but really more to compensate for weak equipment. On iOS, it has limited usefulness. I recall it works with Spotify, but don't recall what else.

On Windows, with K7, I only use the "night mode" (compressor) these days. Used more features before the K7.

Aug 1, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #1,245 of 1,433

I think for hard-wired, you are mostly limited to whatever EQ the iPhone app had (e.g. Apple Music). Some minor exceptions, but with the "sandbox" (locked-down) architecture of iOS, one app usually cannot affect another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back