FiiO K7/K7BT Desktop DAC&Headphone AMP Discussion | XLR Balance | Dual THX AAA | Xmos | ...
Jan 7, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #736 of 1,433
The wait for the K9 feels like eternity so I am considering the K7 instead but some of you are saying that it's not good for the HD6xx which i have with a Magni 3 + DragonFly Red (I have no idea why I have this). I want all in one unit now so the K7 is tempting, would it make sense or should I look elsewhere or wait more for the K9? Thank in advance
that depends on your budget since K9 will be more expensive and where you stay also affect price diff... high ohm cans pair better with OTL amp, K7 can drive HD6XX but it will not be best pairing...

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #737 of 1,433
Really enjoying K7, alongside M11 Plus I feel like I have a cheat code for my gear. It brings refinement and dynamics even to the freebie IEMs. Fiio, THX and A&K are a deadly combo.

Convenient size, slightly larger than K5 Pro, doesn’t take up much space and can easily move it from my work space to the living room for gaming. Haven’t noticed it getting particularly warm.

Still exploring the sound but I do hear better definition and body across the spectrum than K5 Pro and with a larger sound stage.

Quite like the RGB lighting, don’t find it a distraction but then I don’t use it in the dark. Also it comes with foam ring packaging which can cover it up.
Hi I have M11 plus Ltd and looking to purchase the K7, what cables will I need to connect

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #738 of 1,433
Hi I have M11 plus Ltd and looking to purchase the K7, what cables will I need to connect
You can either connect via USB with a USB type B to USB type C cable. Or via Line in with a 2 RCA to 3.5mm. (M11 Plus will need to be set to LO).

With USB you’ll using M11 Plus solely as the player. With Line in you’re bypassing the K7 DAC and just using the amplifier. I have yet to try USB as I’m using Tidal and MQA.

Jan 8, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #739 of 1,433
that depends on your budget since K9 will be more expensive and where you stay also affect price diff... high ohm cans pair better with OTL amp, K7 can drive HD6XX but it will not be best pairing...
Just because I don't like the pairing between HD660S and the K7 doesn't mean that you won't, you may actually like it everyone is different. Keep in mind though I'm comparing the HD660S pairing with the K7 against a class A tube amp that costs at least here in Australia seven times the price of the K7, not to mention that Sennheiser headphones generally do pair very well with tube amps. Point being I probably didn't really make a fair apples to apples comparison 🙂
Multiple people said that the K7 is not ideal for the HD6xx, probably I should look elsewhere. The K9 is probably going to be around 450 euros, that is as far as I would go unless the quality/ reliability of these are there but not that rare to see complaints about these, mostly Topping and other Asian brands. I was eyeing with Topping DX5 or the new SMSL M500 MKIII but I don't feel comfortable to spend that much money if long term reliability is an issue. Something like DX3 Pro+ or K7 would be ideal price wise. There are not that many available options, specially if I want to buy it locally (Central Europe).

Jan 8, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #740 of 1,433
You can either connect via USB with a USB type B to USB type C cable. Or via Line in with a 2 RCA to 3.5mm. (M11 Plus will need to be set to LO).

With USB you’ll using M11 Plus solely as the player. With Line in you’re bypassing the K7 DAC and just using the amplifier. I have yet to try USB as I’m using Tidal and MQA.
Many thanks for the info

Jan 8, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #741 of 1,433
Multiple people said that the K7 is not ideal for the HD6xx, probably I should look elsewhere. The K9 is probably going to be around 450 euros, that is as far as I would go unless the quality/ reliability of these are there but not that rare to see complaints about these, mostly Topping and other Asian brands. I was eyeing with Topping DX5 or the new SMSL M500 MKIII but I don't feel comfortable to spend that much money if long term reliability is an issue. Something like DX3 Pro+ or K7 would be ideal price wise. There are not that many available options, specially if I want to buy it locally (Central Europe).
Ideal is more like cannot drive properly kind of ideal IMO, as for taste that varies across people, some preferred color some clean... High impedence cans tends pair well with OTL amplifier, if you are looking for affordable AIO device, you cant find a better value than K7. Topping and SMSL does not really offers better value device than K7, so if are tight with budget, K7 is no brainers. K7 can drive 6XX just not in the best way but no other device can drive 6XX within this price range also...

Jan 9, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #743 of 1,433
Ideal is more like cannot drive properly kind of ideal IMO, as for taste that varies across people, some preferred color some clean... High impedence cans tends pair well with OTL amplifier, if you are looking for affordable AIO device, you cant find a better value than K7. Topping and SMSL does not really offers better value device than K7, so if are tight with budget, K7 is no brainers. K7 can drive 6XX just not in the best way but no other device can drive 6XX within this price range also...
Yeah I almost jumped on the K7 until I've read few comments here not liking it with the HD6xx. I'm not on that tight budget, I just don't want to spend more than necessary to drive its (almost) full potentials of the HD6xx ( which I just use for my weekly 2-3 hours, I use a HD599 for media/games). Quite confusing to get recommendations, some say to avoid ESS DACs with this headphones, many said to get something with AK, now there is one (K7) but some people says it's not for the HD6xx :D

Jan 9, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #744 of 1,433
Quick question on this unit: if I use the 'line in' function, will I get a 'line out' output to send to an additional amp? The K9 Pro ESS does not provide this functionality.....

Jan 9, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #748 of 1,433
Yeah I almost jumped on the K7 until I've read few comments here not liking it with the HD6xx. I'm not on that tight budget, I just don't want to spend more than necessary to drive its (almost) full potentials of the HD6xx ( which I just use for my weekly 2-3 hours, I use a HD599 for media/games). Quite confusing to get recommendations, some say to avoid ESS DACs with this headphones, many said to get something with AK, now there is one (K7) but some people says it's not for the HD6xx :D
if you want a good amp and dont want to spend more than necessary, get a Darkvoice or Bottlehead, both of this amp can drive 6XX at a more than good potential then get a affordable dac... and again, if K7 is your "spend more than necessary" range, you will not get a dac/amp combo that offer this much value...

Jan 10, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #749 of 1,433
Yo

It is only my OP but i think fiio k7 bass is too tight i mean it has 2 much controll on it, bassy tracks like some EDM or rap sound kinda dry.
It misses that little "fat" on the bass, bass decay should be longer and at least little boomy.

Even if i have maestro mini with are bass monsters, i need to change usb cable and power supply for better quality and i will give it few days for burn in.
Also gonna try other tips on IEM when they will arrive.

I wanted ifi zen dac v2 but was worried that other way around will happen, i mean that bass will become too much boomy and bloated

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #750 of 1,433
Yo

It is only my OP but i think fiio k7 bass is too tight i mean it has 2 much controll on it, bassy tracks like some EDM or rap sound kinda dry.
It misses that little "fat" on the bass, bass decay should be longer and at least little boomy.

Even if i have maestro mini with are bass monsters, i need to change usb cable and power supply for better quality and i will give it few days for burn in.
Also gonna try other tips on IEM when they will arrive.

I wanted ifi zen dac v2 but was worried that other way around will happen, i mean that bass will become too much boomy and bloated
Add an fiio PL50 and you won't lack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back