FiiO K7/K7BT Desktop DAC&Headphone AMP Discussion | XLR Balance | Dual THX AAA | Xmos | ...
Dec 31, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #721 of 1,433
I am in the K7 connection before the purchase. but I have a few questions. is it worth the price, can it possibly compete with the more expensive devices? Can you compare what it can do technically and tonally against other devices? is the fiio PL50 worth buying for it? if so, how will the sound of the K7 be better? although the manufacturer states that a low-noise switching power supply is included with the device. How well can the K7 drive Hifiman edition xs headphones with a Balanced 4.4 mm cable? or how well can you technically give it the ability to bring out the skills of the edition XS? I also plan to connect a tube headphone amplifier to the RCA output of the K7, so my question is what quality does the RCA output of the K7 represent in terms of clarity and crosstalk? What is the difference between the USB coax and Optical inputs of the K7 device in terms of sound quality? Is there a downloadable driver for the K7 device somewhere, perhaps a separate asio driver, or a separate management software? can asio at all?

is it worth the price
It's more than worth the price: for $199, it's an absolute steal.

can it possibly compete with the more expensive devices?
It handily bests the JDS Element II and iFi micro iDSD Signature that I recently owned to my ears. Past amplifiers I have owned include the Monolith Liquid Platinum, Liquid Carbon X, Drop + THX AAA 789, Schiit Asgard 3, and Gustard H10, and purely from memory, the K7 easily holds its own against all of the amps listed.

How well can the K7 drive Hifiman edition xs headphones with a Balanced 4.4 mm cable? or how well can you technically give it the ability to bring out the skills of the edition XS?
Stupendously well. Other amps I've paired the Edition XS with include the iFi micro iDSD Signature, Drop + THX AAA 789, and Gustard H10. The Edition XS out of the K7 is quite simply the best I have heard it. Soundstage is immense, and bass displays remarkable authority, extension, texture, and definition.

Can you compare what it can do technically and tonally against other devices
See here.

PS: I bought the K7 blind and on a gamble. Having had it in my possession for just over two weeks now, I can say quite confidently that it ranks amongst the best audio purchases I have ever made.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #724 of 1,433
I just connected smsl su9-n dac to K7 using RCA cables and selected line input on K7 from what I understand this way I am bypassing the dac section and only using K7 as an amplifier
You're right, this feature was already present in the old K5 Pro (AK version) and the current K5 Pro ESS. Versatile design, so to speak.

Dec 31, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #725 of 1,433
Really enjoying K7, alongside M11 Plus I feel like I have a cheat code for my gear. It brings refinement and dynamics even to the freebie IEMs. Fiio, THX and A&K are a deadly combo.

Convenient size, slightly larger than K5 Pro, doesn’t take up much space and can easily move it from my work space to the living room for gaming. Haven’t noticed it getting particularly warm.

Still exploring the sound but I do hear better definition and body across the spectrum than K5 Pro and with a larger sound stage.

Quite like the RGB lighting, don’t find it a distraction but then I don’t use it in the dark. Also it comes with foam ring packaging which can cover it up.

Dec 31, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #726 of 1,433
I just connected smsl su9-n dac to K7 using RCA cables and selected line input on K7 from what I understand this way I am bypassing the dac section and only using K7 as an amplifier

Ah, got it! Was 'kinda' doing a similar setup with another device - didn't realize this can also be done on the K7 - thanks for this! 👍🏻

Dec 31, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #727 of 1,433
Now having heard the 660s the way I never heard them before I might consider it I am just very lost when it comes to tube amps and tube swapping as said before I the only tube amp I ever had was little dot MK3 .

What tube amp apart of woo audio would you recommend trying out?
Personally I have a first generation Woo Audio WA7D that I use to power the HD660S which is a class A amp. I picked mine up for around AU $800 second hand so not overly expensive, to put that in perspective the K7 here in Australia retails for AU $339 brand new. There are a number of relatively cheap Chinese tube amps on the market that might be worth a try brands like xDuoo for example.
As I mentioned in a previous post I mostly use the K7 for its balanced output with my IEM collection, for that it is an excellent little amp 🙂

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #732 of 1,433
Similar results on the K7. Completely worth getting. If you use your computer to stream using the K7 those cables are worth getting. They are substantially thick. About half an inch in diameter. I would get at least a meter in length. There are other Nordost ones you can get as well but I went with this one. Can't go back to the stock USB cable let me put it that way.
My cable finally arrives today.

To my ears, the K7 has noticeable better clarity, bass hit a little deeper while the musical instrument and imaging are about the same.

Really impressed with what the K7 can produce.

Great recommendation!

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #733 of 1,433
I just got the FiiO K7 as well. I'm really impressed with what this little dac/amp can offer. I needed something inexpensive to drive my Edition XS and this more than fit the bill. This device has such a high price to performance ratio, I'm a little shocked it sells at this price. I know the AKM / Velvet Sound isn't for everyone though...still this is one of the better implementations that I have heard using AKM, it definitely still has details and resolution, and just takes out any harshness in the treble so its really quite good for what it offers. Kudos to FiiO for this one!

Jan 6, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #734 of 1,433
The wait for the K9 feels like eternity so I am considering the K7 instead but some of you are saying that it's not good for the HD6xx which i have with a Magni 3 + DragonFly Red (I have no idea why I have this). I want all in one unit now so the K7 is tempting, would it make sense or should I look elsewhere or wait more for the K9? Thank in advance

Jan 6, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #735 of 1,433
The wait for the K9 feels like eternity so I am considering the K7 instead but some of you are saying that it's not good for the HD6xx which i have with a Magni 3 + DragonFly Red (I have no idea why I have this). I want all in one unit now so the K7 is tempting, would it make sense or should I look elsewhere or wait more for the K9? Thank in advance
Just because I don't like the pairing between HD660S and the K7 doesn't mean that you won't, you may actually like it everyone is different. Keep in mind though I'm comparing the HD660S pairing with the K7 against a class A tube amp that costs at least here in Australia seven times the price of the K7, not to mention that Sennheiser headphones generally do pair very well with tube amps. Point being I probably didn't really make a fair apples to apples comparison 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back