FiiO K7/K7BT Desktop DAC&Headphone AMP Discussion | XLR Balance | Dual THX AAA | Xmos | ...
Dec 7, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #586 of 1,433
Hi all 👋
My thoughts about Fiio K7 AMP/DAC like a non expert since it's my first amp :)

- Compact and nice looking and overall well made
- In my opinion it did the purpose of getting it (to drive DT880 250 ohm)
- The front wheel feels pleasant, some delay when changing volume but it's smooth (for me not a con)
- The front light changes according to stream quality. I like it
- Zero noice on the background when nothing is playing

Dec 7, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #589 of 1,433
Ok got it, thanks! So it does jump levels - just want to make sure my unit is not defective.
Most of the power is from 2 o'clock onwards on the volume dial if that makes sense?

Dec 7, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #590 of 1,433
Two things I would like to see changed on the K7. (1) The light around the volume control needs to be dimmer-it is too bright. (2) Whenever you power the K7 on, it always defaults to the USB input. Would prefer it would stay on the last selected input if you were using an input besides USB.
Mine stays on coaxial in. Never used a different input. Perhaps a permanent cable to a laptop is taking priority.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #591 of 1,433
Dear friend,

You could try the K7 in other computer or connect the other USB DAC to the computer and check whether this issue happens as well?

Best regards
Hello, I ended up buying another K7 just to see if my first one was defective but this problem is happening with both. I'm unsure if it's an issue with the K7 or how it pairs with my particular system/config. This never happened with my other dac/amps. I also gifted a K7 to a friend and he also said he's encountering the random volume dipping issue.

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #592 of 1,433
Hello, I ended up buying another K7 just to see if my first one was defective but this problem is happening with both. I'm unsure if it's an issue with the K7 or how it pairs with my particular system/config. This never happened with my other dac/amps. I also gifted a K7 to a friend and he also said he's encountering the random volume dipping issue.
Might seem like a silly question but did you download and install the driver for the K7? A broken driver could cause the issue you are having :relaxed:

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #593 of 1,433
Might seem like a silly question but did you download and install the driver for the K7? A broken driver could cause the issue you are having :relaxed:
First thing I did.

Dec 9, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #594 of 1,433
Hi, I just got my k7 and I have couple of questions.
1. RGB light around volume knob is teal/cyan on both Windows and Fedora, idk if it should to be that colour. K7 is connected via usb-C to my laptop.
2. In Fedora I can select between analog output-k7 and digital output (s/pdif)-k7, usb-C connection. What is best option.

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #595 of 1,433
Mine stays on coaxial in. Never used a different input. Perhaps a permanent cable to a laptop is taking priority.
The only input I have connected to my K7 is the toslink optical. But every time I power on the K7 it resets to the USB input and I have to select optical again. If I don't select optical I have no sound.

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #597 of 1,433
Hi, I just got my k7 and I have couple of questions.
1. RGB light around volume knob is teal/cyan on both Windows and Fedora, idk if it should to be that colour. K7 is connected via usb-C to my laptop.
2. In Fedora I can select between analog output-k7 and digital output (s/pdif)-k7, usb-C connection. What is best option.
1. Sample rate determines volume knob colour Blue: 44.1KHz/48KHz Yellow: 88.2/96/176.4/192/352.8/384KHz Green: DSD64/128/256.
2. Only you can determine what suits your needs and ears the best.

Dec 9, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #598 of 1,433
Dear friend,

What's the operation version of your computer? And which app are you using? The sampling rate of the music file is? We will try to check whether we could reproduce the same phenomenon first. Thanks in advance!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 9, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #599 of 1,433
Dear friend,

What's the operation version of your computer? And which app are you using? The sampling rate of the music file is? We will try to check whether we could reproduce the same phenomenon first. Thanks in advance!

Best regards
I’m using the latest Windows 11. Apps I’m using are any combination of discord, edge (watching twitch streams, YouTube), different games, Spotify/SoundCloud.

Sample rate is whatever Spotify and SoundCloud stream at. 44.1kHz if I’m not mistaken.

My friend who is also having this problem is on windows 10 doing the same things.

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #600 of 1,433
IMG_7820.jpeg

Tidal via Roon on Mac > FiiO K7 [ 4.4mm balanced ] > Hifiman Edition XS / Letshuoer S12

Just picked up a unit earlier today.

Let me make a disclaimer first and foremost that I paid for my K7 out of my pocket. I have never been compensated in any way for any of my reviews or impressions, nor do I intend to go down that route.

My only piece of FiiO source/amplifier gear hitherto was the humble FiiO E10K Olympus some years back. Most recently, my primary DAC/amp was the iFi micro iDSD Signature, then the JDS Element II and JDS Atom stack prior to that, with the iFi ZEN DAC Signature and Gustard H10 and iFi ZEN CAN being my staples for the last year or so. Other amps I've owned that are worth mentioning include the Drop + THX AAA 789, Monolith Liquid Platinum, Schiit Asgard 3, and Schiit Valhalla 2.

Note that I no longer own any of the units mentioned above nor do I have any other sources to conduct a direct comparison with the K7, so do take the following impressions with a reasonable grain of salt.

My first impression of the K7 and the Hifiman Edition XS via the 4.4mm balanced output was: airy, transparent, pristine, clean, refined, effortless, spacious, vibrant, full-bodied, and robust.

By comparison, and from memory, the iFi micro iDSD Signature I most recently owned sounded distinctly softer, mellower, warmer, more intimate, less precise, and less detailed, even with the GTO filter. At the same time, I would not describe the K7's sound as sterile, cool, or limp. It also does not exhibit the flatness and two-dimensional presentation of the JDS Atom, the sometimes overtly analytical and lean character of the THX AAA 789, or the compressed and strained quality of the Topping gear I've owned and auditioned (namely the Topping G5 and NX4).

I'm in the honeymoon phase at the moment to be sure, but the K7 seems to quite remarkably combine the effortlessness and naturalness of the iFi house sound with the precise and pristine quality of the Drop + THX AAA 789 and JDS Atom, the spaciousness and expansiveness of the Gustard H10, while injecting a healthy dose of vibrancy and robustness of its own all at once. Keep in mind, however, if you are seeking the warm, lush, romantic, or tube-like sound that is so sought after, you will not find it in the K7.

As for tangibles, build quality is solid with excellent fit and finish, and the volume pot is smooth, sturdy, with a pleasant amount of resistance. My main nitpicks so far are the dead zone on the volume pot between 7 o'clock and a little before 10 o’clock, along the slow initial ramp up in volume before 1 o’clock, and its relatively large footprint.

These are early impressions, and time will tell how they hold up in terms of quality control and if the magic sustains itself. For now, colour me very impressed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back