FiiO K5 || FiiO's docking desktop amp
Jun 10, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #691 of 744
It is counter productive to connect K5 to the headphone output of a laptop due to the fact that it is receiving dirty signal from the laptop's headphone output, so the final signal to noise ratio is not great. I recommend getting a FiiO X3ii at least to take full advantage of K5's amping power.

Jul 8, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #692 of 744
Hi!

I always used my K5 with headphones through the front output. But I'm thinking of buying speakers to plug in the rear output of the K5.

My question is if when I want to listen through the headphone I will need to unplug the rear connection with the speakers. Or connecting headphones on frontal output does kill the sound to speakers?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #693 of 744
hi guys, i currently have a schiit vali 1 as an amp with an hd6xx as my cans. My sources would be fiio x5iii and my laptop with an audioquest dragonfly red dac.

would the fiio k5 be an upgrade or just a sidegrade as an amp? i really dig the docking feature and i'm thinking at worse the k5 could be my amp on the go or even just by my bed side while i keep the schiit in my desktop. i heard this has better bass punch which i really am interested in.

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #694 of 744
hi guys, i currently have a schiit vali 1 as an amp with an hd6xx as my cans. My sources would be fiio x5iii and my laptop with an audioquest dragonfly red dac.

would the fiio k5 be an upgrade or just a sidegrade as an amp? i really dig the docking feature and i'm thinking at worse the k5 could be my amp on the go or even just by my bed side while i keep the schiit in my desktop. i heard this has better bass punch which i really am interested in.

The K5 is a desktop amp. It's not an on-the-go amp. For an on-the-go amp, you want the A5.

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #696 of 744
@coolcrew23 I use my K5 as a transportable solution docking my X5II in it. I also use it bedside as it doesn't take up a lot of room on the nightstand. With the X5III docked in it you could also pair their bluetooth remote with it to control your music with. I do think it would be a side-grade in your case, though, or to give more options in other locations.

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #697 of 744
@coolcrew23 I use my K5 as a transportable solution docking my X5II in it. I also use it bedside as it doesn't take up a lot of room on the nightstand. With the X5III docked in it you could also pair their bluetooth remote with it to control your music with. I do think it would be a side-grade in your case, though, or to give more options in other locations.

Thanks for this. i guess i should weight in on this if i really need a 2nd amp that performs the same as what I have. Maybe i should just save up more for a bigger upgrade. Thanks sir!

Dec 5, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #699 of 744
HI all, failing to get the K5 working with my X7ii in DAC mode. I reinstalled drivers a few times now and it does work directly (not using K5 at all and micro usb into x7ii). I have used 2 different usb cables too. It does work with X7ii as the source note (playing from x7ii in dock)... any ideas or faulty and return for another?

Thanks!

Dec 6, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #700 of 744
HI all, failing to get the K5 working with my X7ii in DAC mode. I reinstalled drivers a few times now and it does work directly (not using K5 at all and micro usb into x7ii). I have used 2 different usb cables too. It does work with X7ii as the source note (playing from x7ii in dock)... any ideas or faulty and return for another?

Thanks!
Hi,
Can the X7II +K5 work in storage mode? Both storage mode and DAC mode work fine when using the X7II only?
Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 6, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #701 of 744
Hi,
Can the X7II +K5 work in storage mode? Both storage mode and DAC mode work fine when using the X7II only?
Best regards

Yes 'It does work with X7ii as the source' (in storage mode) with the K5. It's jsut as a DAC it doesn't work with K5. I also tried another computer and it's not working at all (it had the old driver for e07k - i have removed it but may the issue on that computer?

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #702 of 744
Wow, is this thread still going? I loved my E17K so much I bought 2. The dock took too long to come out and I ended up going with a dongle solution that cost less, sounds better, is smaller than the E17K (about the size of a pack of Juicy Fruit), and is more transportable. I still have my two E17Ks and have them and use them and places where I have fixed computers, but for OTG solutions, I use the dongles. One of the dongles actually is for sale at Best Buy (along with other headphone DAC solutions), must either be a sign of the times or just options for Christmas gifts.

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #703 of 744
The dock took too long to come out and I ended up going with a dongle solution that cost less, sounds better, is smaller than the E17K (about the size of a pack of Juicy Fruit), and is more transportable

The E17K like isn't even in the same league as this K5 dock. The K5 isn't MEANT to be portable, and it puts out like 10 times as much power. Dunno why you're complaining about it.

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #704 of 744
The E17K like isn't even in the same league as this K5 dock. The K5 isn't MEANT to be portable, and it puts out like 10 times as much power. Dunno why you're complaining about it.

It wasn't a complaint at all, but just a description of what I did. But, interesting that you should interpret it that way when it's not that way at all. LOL. Glad that you like the dock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back