FiiO K5 || FiiO's docking desktop amp
Jan 12, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #661 of 744

2. I have the Fiio X1-II, i have to use it with cable or without?

If you dock DAPs on it you can either use music locally stored on the DAP or use the USB cable so the signal gets routed from the PC to the DAP then to the K5. The X1 however doesn't work with the latter protocol. If the X1-II doesn't have a USB DAC function at all then it won't work with the PC even when docked into the K5. You can still listen to the music stored in its microSD card though.

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #662 of 744
  1. I connected with RCA cable but i have noise on audio when is nothing playing, even when i move the mouse, is because of the cable or the onboard audio of pc? do i need a sound card or what?

out of my mac mini (late 2012) the k5 on low gain is dead silent up until around 10 o'clock and i dont hear any significant amount of noise up until 12 o'clock. i can clearly hear noise past that. i'm currently blaming the cheap cable, and i plan to get or build a better one soon. i also have a powered usb hub, and when that's on, i do hear more noise.

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #663 of 744
i just tested on my macbook pro running on battery and i dont hear any noise on low gain. i can only hear a significant amount of noise on high gain, past 11 o'clock. so source definitely plays a role too.

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #664 of 744
Is strange, when i connect my headphones without K5 directly on 3.5mm jack on back or front of my pc case i hear nothing when is no music playing, also when i increae the volume there is no noise, but when is connected with K5 there is a little bit of noise when nothing playing, some slow buzzing...so maybe is the cabl, i need one that is more expensive?

I just tested on a macbook pro and a android tablet and i don't have any noise at all...What? is a problem from my onboard sound?

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #665 of 744
  I just tested on a macbook pro and a android tablet and i don't have any noise at all...What? is a problem from my onboard sound?

I believe either it is the cable or the computer which create the heavy electronic disturbance....Good Quality RCA-to-3.5 inch cable may solve the problem...You need to test this.

I use regularly from my PC (Desktop) Optical SPDIF Out -->Fiio D03k-->(Monoprice RCA Cable)-->K5--> HP Out.

Also E17k + K5 Combo is Great via USB.

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #666 of 744
So is there any way to realign the USB port so that it fits nicer?

I use the X3ii with the K5, and I usually have to sort of bend it to get it in there. I don't think it's quite as bad as some other users have reported here, but I still don't like taking the player out of the dock very often. I'm worried it's eventually gonna destroy the port on my player.

May 2, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #668 of 744
can someone help:
1) I connected my X3 ii to the usb port on the back of the unit using a micro-micro usb cable. But when i play music, there is no audio from the headphone out of K5. But if i dock the X3 ii on the top of K5, it works. What could be the problem?
2) Is there a way to make X3 ii not charge all the time it is docked. Right now it is charged even when K5 is turned off(using Vol knob)

May 2, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #669 of 744
can someone help:
1) I connected my X3 ii to the usb port on the back of the unit using a micro-micro usb cable. But when i play music, there is no audio from the headphone out of K5. But if i dock the X3 ii on the top of K5, it works. What could be the problem?
2) Is there a way to make X3 ii not charge all the time it is docked. Right now it is charged even when K5 is turned off(using Vol knob)

Ans 1 :- Nothing Wrong with your Micro USB cable - Need a special cable to enable this feature which Fiio can't make possible to bring into the market.

Ans 2 :- No - That is not possible - Only E17k have this feature - Right Now.

May 2, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #670 of 744
Ans 1 :- Nothing Wrong with your Micro USB cable - Need a special cable to enable this feature which Fiio can't make possible to bring into the market.

Ans 2 :- No - That is not possible - Only E17k have this feature - Right Now.
Thanks!
I wonder why they even have that USB port, when there is no cable that supports it.

May 3, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #672 of 744
can someone help:

Dear maheeinfy,

1. From the April, 2016, we already started to make the sample DOCK IN cable special for the back micro USB port at the K5.
Because the micro USB port was 11-pin, the core of that special DOCK IN cable might be about 10mm in diameter after our estimate. Yeah, it was a bit thick.
In order to make the technical index of this cable be same as the K5's Dock connector, we continued to debug its output parameters and linear impedance.
We finally solved the output parameters issue, even though the debugging process was not smooth at firstly. However, when starting to test the sample cable with the K5, we found the X series music players including X3II, X5II, X7 can NOT work as a DAC with connecting this Dock IN cable.
It would be required to make a very big and difficult thechnical change on this cable if we want to solve this above DAC issue.
Therefore, looking at the above factors, including the large diamether of this cable and the difficulty in solving the DAC issue, which cause this DOCK IN cable can not implement the exactly same functions as what the K5's Dock connector does, we sorry to inform you we decide to cancle this project of this DOCK IN cable special for the K5.
2. Sorry, the X3II will be charged when docking in the K5.
power is supplied to the device as follows:
1. While the device is charging
Because the computer USB port has limited current capacity, the battery is given priority for part of the charging current while the rest powers the device directly. But if the current draw by the device is high, the battery participates in powering the device as well. Hence, both the battery and the USB port take part in powering the device while the device is charging.
2. After the battery is full
Because there is no need to charge the battery anymore, the USB port would power the device directly. The battery would neither be charged nor discharged.
In summary of the above, the powering scheme of the X3II ensures that the battery may be fully charged while at the same time guaranteeing proper function of the device. Finally, the battery will be at rest after it is fully charged, thus guaranteeing extended battery life.

Best regards

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 3, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #673 of 744
Dear maheeinfy,

Best regards

Thanks @FiiO for the explanation.
Regarding the charging, it seems E17k can turn off the charging when K5 is turned off. May be you could look into porting that feature into X3 ii

I got another question for you: It seems X3 ii turns off automatically when docked into K5 and there is no music playing for some time. It doesn't do that when operating on its own(not docked to K5). Is this supposed to happen?

May 4, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #674 of 744
Thanks @FiiO for the explanation.
Regarding the charging, it seems E17k can turn off the charging when K5 is turned off. May be you could look into porting that feature into X3 ii

I got another question for you: It seems X3 ii turns off automatically when docked into K5 and there is no music playing for some time. It doesn't do that when operating on its own(not docked to K5). Is this supposed to happen?

Dear maheeinfy,

The X3II will turn off after fully charged. This issue you mention may happen because of this reason.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 4, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #675 of 744
Dear maheeinfy,

The X3II will turn off after fully charged. This issue you mention may happen because of this reason.

Best regards
Why should it turn off after fully charge?

This is my scenario:
X3 ii is docked on K5
Music is being played
Music is paused
X3 ii turns off after some inactivity.

So i cannot just resume the music. I will have to restart the X3 ii

Users who are viewing this thread

Back