FiiO K5 || FiiO's docking desktop amp
Feb 26, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #436 of 744
Can you tell me something about soundstage? Wide, airy?

I just edited my post reference a comparison Tyell at Inner fidelity did. He does a brief summary of each version. I don't always agree with how he hears things but I do with his thoughts on the 250 ohm. I personally find they have a wide soundstage (far more so than HD600) which is airy. They really pick out details in the higher frequencies but not to the point of being shrill or sibilant (as I found when demo'ing T70's). They have great clarity and resolution but are in my view clinical. It's for this clarity that I usually reach for them to listen to films and for gaming over say the HD600's as I can hear little details in the background that aren't as apparent with other cans. The bass is certainly present, decays quickly and extends down well although can be a little loose. In terms of music I love them with anything guitar driven but prefer the HD600's for mid centric stuff, jazz and classical. Strangely I prefer the 880's for anything more electronic based e.g. ambient (that may be because of the clarity) but not bass driven. I have the premium edition which are probably the most comfortable headphones I own (the clamping pressure is less than the pro version). The build quality is excellent except perhaps the cable which is a little inflexible. Although not removable it would take some doing to damage it at the entry point. Certainly in the U.K. there is a company that will mod them to have a removable cable. Anyway this is the link to inner fidelity:-

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones-page-2#dd6eS3fvxc0uvuWL.97

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #437 of 744
I just edited my post reference a comparison Tyell at Inner fidelity did. He does a brief summary of each version. I don't always agree with how he hears things but I do with his thoughts on the 250 ohm. I personally find they have a wide soundstage (far more so than HD600) which is airy. They really pick out details in the higher frequencies but not to the point of being shrill or sibilant (as I found when demo'ing T70's). They have great clarity and resolution but are in my view clinical. It's for this clarity that I usually reach for them to listen to films and for gaming over say the HD600's as I can hear little details in the background that aren't as apparent with other cans. The bass is certainly present, decays quickly and extends down well although can be a little loose. In terms of music I love them with anything guitar driven but prefer the HD600's for mid centric stuff, jazz and classical. Strangely I prefer the 880's for anything more electronic based e.g. ambient (that may be because of the clarity) but not bass driven. I have the premium edition which are probably the most comfortable headphones I own (the clamping pressure is less than the pro version). The build quality is excellent except perhaps the cable which is a little inflexible. Although not removable it would take some doing to damage it at the entry point. Certainly in the U.K. there is a company that will mod them to have a removable cable. Anyway this is the link to inner fidelity:-

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones-page-2#dd6eS3fvxc0uvuWL.97
I was asking about Fiio K5 soundstage...

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #438 of 744
I was asking about Fiio K5 soundstage...

Oops my mistake. Trying to do to many things at once. Depends what it's being compared against. I find with the Fiio X7 that the K5 provides a wider, more 3 dimensional soundstage than the AM1 IEM module. It opens up the X7 but not to the level of my Littledot MK3 tube amp or my Beresford Capella SS amp. Same with my X3 second gen (although K5 pairing very similar to the X3 paired with E12A).

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #439 of 744
Oops my mistake. Trying to do to many things at once. Depends what it's being compared against. I find with the Fiio X7 that the K5 provides a wider, more 3 dimensional soundstage than the AM1 IEM module. It opens up the X7 but not to the level of my Littledot MK3 tube amp or my Beresford Capella SS amp. Same with my X3 second gen (although K5 pairing very similar to the X3 paired with E12A).
No worries:) Happens to me when thinking about many things at the same time. Thanks.

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #441 of 744
Well today I received my Fiio K5, My Imediate que here:

I have both E17k and X1 - Is it mandatory to use those supplied rubber spacer - because I found both products docked excellently without needed one. I mean very good tight fit.

My question why use those ? Or I am damaging mine ? Fiio experts..... Please Reply.

Also like to point out the supplied AC cable which go to Power Bricks is not for India - Yes they are round shape - but the power bricks contain 3 pin (Ground,Negative & Positive) where the supplied AC cable is for other region / country who's Male Ground pin stays on wall - Russia / Switzerland maybe.

Now my concern here - If the power brick got provision for 3 and from there to wall only 2 reached and Ground Wire omitted - Isn't this recipe for Disaster ?

Currently I'm using my HP Laptop's AC cable to power the Fiio K5's Brick....which is proper 3 Pin Indian Wall Plug.

As for your grounding problems, I have similr issues with equipment not made specifically for India. I usually overcome this by adding an extra length of wire, one end of which is attached to the backplate or bottom plate of the equipment in question (just loosen a screw on the body and screw the bare wire in tightly). Then cut off the supplied plug and attach all three wires to an Indian 3 pin plug (ground to ground pin and the other two to live and neutral pins) and Voila, you're done! 

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #442 of 744
Hey all,

I have the x7 and k5 and I am looking now for suggestions on a desktop setup to extend to an amp->speakers. Budget is $450 or so.

Any thoughts on a good pairing?

Check out the audioengine line of powered speakers on amazon or if you want a really sweet sounding set up, the chinese qinpu tube amps and speakers. The Qinpu's are an absolute bargain from China direct  here http://www.china-hifi-audio.com/en/qinpu-desktop-amp-speakers-c-13 The A-6000 amp and VF 3.5 speakers will set you back 350$. I ordered my pair from them and it was quick and easy.

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #443 of 744
  As for your grounding problems, I have similr issues with equipment not made specifically for India. I usually overcome this by adding an extra length of wire, one end of which is attached to the backplate or bottom plate of the equipment in question (just loosen a screw on the body and screw the bare wire in tightly). Then cut off the supplied plug and attach all three wires to an Indian 3 pin plug (ground to ground pin and the other two to live and neutral pins) and Voila, you're done! 

Thanks for the suggestion / Idea - I think If I cut the AC Plug and use 6 Amp Indian AC plug then it will do the trick - Thanks for the help. (But I believe it loose the warranty)

I post back my problem here at the post #92  and I Got reply from Joe (Fiio) at post #94 

How is 'Double Insulated' benefit over Ground Signal Blockage ?

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #444 of 744
Thanks for the suggestion / Idea - I think If I cut the AC Plug and use 6 Amp Indian AC plug then it will do the trick - Thanks for the help. (But I believe it loose the warranty)

I post back my problem here at the post #92  and I Got reply from Joe (Fiio) at post #94 

It means that the whole power brick chassis is made of insulating plastic, so even if a ground fault occurs, there's no way anybody can get an electric shock from it... :tongue_smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 29, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #445 of 744
Just took delivery from Amazon from All About Office.  I'm using my E10K as a DAC, line out to K5's RCA inputs. Hooked everything up and am getting bad low level static.  Checked all wires and everything looks ok.  I know the output from the E10K is ok because I normally hook up my powered speakers to the line out and it's dead quiet. Any ideas? Static appears no matter what the gain is set at. Using this with a Dell desktop computer. Tried it with all of my headphones, M50's-DT 990's-HD558's-static on all of them. It's like electrical interference, not really a hum (tried changing outlets just in case-no change). 

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #446 of 744

If you are worried about warranty then just attach the ground wire to a ground pin, insulate it with some electrical tape and put it naked(without plug) directly into the wall ground socket. Its a bit more risky this way! The ground helps also to remove that nasty buzz like feeling when you touch equipment which is not properly grounded. It wont give you a shock but in my opinion as far as audio goes it does affect the sound quality, double insulated or not. I think you can get an ok from Fiio on changing to an Indian plug yourself. Just ask them.
Also if you have at least one piece of equipment in the chain properly grounded, then that should also take care of the problem.

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #447 of 744
Just took delivery from Amazon from All About Office.  I'm using my E10K as a DAC, line out to K5's RCA inputs. Hooked everything up and am getting bad low level static.  Checked all wires and everything looks ok.  I know the output from the E10K is ok because I normally hook up my powered speakers to the line out and it's dead quiet. Any ideas? Static appears no matter what the gain is set at. Using this with a Dell desktop computer. Tried it with all of my headphones, M50's-DT 990's-HD558's-static on all of them. It's like electrical interference, not really a hum (tried changing outlets just in case-no change). 

What do you get if you connect the K5 directly to your computer's headphone out?

Is Line In or Aux In selected on the K5's input selector?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 29, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #448 of 744
Figured it out. It's my computer. I hooked everything up to my laptop, no problem. It seems as though the poor shielding on my desktop computer, combined with all of the internal electronics (power supply, graphics card, mechanical hard drives, etc.) is causing electrical interference with the K5. It's a shame, too, because on my laptop that thing sounded sweet, but I don't use that for music listening. What's really weird is when using the E10K alone I get no interference at all.  Oh well back it goes.

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #449 of 744
Anyone who has had the E09k + E17 (non-K) compared the K5 + E17K? I'm wondering if the slight bump in output power would be worth upgrading to for a work setup. It would be driving the MrSpeakers Alpha Prime.

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #450 of 744
  Anyone who has had the E09k + E17 (non-K) compared the K5 + E17K? I'm wondering if the slight bump in output power would be worth upgrading to for a work setup. It would be driving the MrSpeakers Alpha Prime.

Tried a friend's E09K with my Mad Dogs which should be about as hard to drive as the Alpha Prime. It was sufficient but you did find yourself getting closer and closer to max depending on the recording. You won't suffer without it, but having the K5 is a nice luxury. Going from the X3ii > K5 + X3ii was like the Mad Dogs receiving a new pair of lungs. A new pair of lungs with far greater volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back