FiiO K5 || FiiO's docking desktop amp
Feb 14, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #318 of 744
  Strictly from sound quality perspective which will be better a better DAC/AMP combo K5+E17K or K5+X3 2nd Gen.

The E17k will have a warmer sound. Should be comparable sound quality, just a preference.

Thanks imackler

If this help I have the hd-598se and at-m50x and planning to buy dt-880 pro / hd-650 in the near future.

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #319 of 744
  Few things to check:
1. Are you using the full size USB-B to USB-A cable included in the box to connect the K5 to the PC?
2. Is the micro-usb connector on your X3ii free of any type of debree or lint (I've seen countless phones described as broken and all it was was some fibers from a pocket stuck inside the USB connector)
3. Are you pushing your X3ii all the way down? 

Did all the above. Tried  a known working usb cable and nothing. The X3 works just fine with a micro usb cable, just not in the dock. It is a little tough to set the X3 in, but I am pushing it down completely. It turns on and off, and charges in the dock but no usb connection to the PC. I have tried wiggling it in the dock and still nothing. I have tried to move the switch between dock and line. Line in works fine.

I was so looking forward to this dock, but unless James has a solution, I think I will try to RMA it with B&H for a replacement.

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #320 of 744
  Did all the above. Tried  a known working usb cable and nothing. The X3 works just fine with a micro usb cable, just not in the dock. It is a little tough to set the X3 in, but I am pushing it down completely. It turns on and off, and charges in the dock but no usb connection to the PC. I have tried wiggling it in the dock and still nothing. I have tried to move the switch between dock and line. Line in works fine.

I was so looking forward to this dock, but unless James has a solution, I think I will try to RMA it with B&H for a replacement.

maybe someone can see if the players get charged when the k5 has only usb, no power connected. if that works, try that with yours?

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #321 of 744
  Ok so I got mine in and setup on my pc running windows 10.. There is something going on with the the dock on my K5. My X3mkii works just fine with a micro usb cable bit does not work in the dock. I have tried different usb ports and the same issue. My computer does not recognize the X3 when she is in the dock but does when I use a usb cable directly to my X3.  The other issue is that I have very low volume on my right channel. When I play a song off the micro sd, the right channel is almost muted. Using the line in, both channels are fine.

Looks like my dock connection is screwed up. Anybody have any suggestions

This is the same issue I had with my K5 - X3ii combo. I could not get the X3ii to make a good connection via the K5 dock yet it worked perfectly connected directly to my PC....which means the problem is in the K5 dock. Just as what has been suggested to you, some here seem to think I didn't put enough effort into docking the X3ii. My solution was to return the K5 for a refund and my prediction is we have not heard the last about docking problems with the K5

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #322 of 744
I have e17k, should i buy this to upgrade from my current setup? Im also waiting for TH X00 this May.

Any comment to the sound quality improvement?

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #323 of 744
  Well here some pointer for newbie and to those who are not familiar with K5. 

1. K5 is Dedicated Desktop Amp with Docking Facility for Fiio Products (SOME)  -  doesn't have a DAC inbuilt.
2. To Get DAC function user at least need to invest in E17k......So K5+E17k = Amp + DAC Combo....Perfect solution to bypass crappy inbuilt sound option of your PC / Laptop.

3. K5 + X1 = Usage will be to drive high impedance Headphone as bedside / standalone music setup.
4. K5 + X3(ii)/X5(ii)/X7 = See Point 3 above and PC + Mac DAC function Added.  

5. K5 can take any standalone DAC Signal / Line Out from PC / Portable DAP via 'Line In' Port and process, Usage will be to drive high impedance Headphone at ease.

For a Budget POV or stater / newbie - Pick up Fiio K5 + X3 (ii) <----> You get everything.

Hi, I already have E17K, the one I dislike about E17K is the soundstage. 

Do this K5 will help to improve this?

P:s, Im getting TH X00 this May!

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #326 of 744
Thanks imackler

If this help I have the hd-598se and at-m50x and planning to buy dt-880 pro / hd-650 in the near future.

Tell me if u can review K5 with E17K. Im concerned to the soundstage

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #327 of 744
Hi guys, new here on Headfi :)  I've recently picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD600 and a Fiio K5.  I hear that my Macbook Pro 2015 retina has a pretty decent dac so therefore I hooked up from 3.5mm to RCA into the K5 and it sounds pretty good.  My question is, is  it worth buying a better dac if I don't have a library of Hi-res 24bit music since the music I listen to are not available in that quality?

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #328 of 744
  Hi guys, new here on Headfi :)  I've recently picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD600 and a Fiio K5.  I hear that my Macbook Pro 2015 retina has a pretty decent dac so therefore I hooked up from 3.5mm to RCA into the K5 and it sounds pretty good.  My question is, is  it worth buying a better dac if I don't have a library of Hi-res 24bit music since the music I listen to are not available in that quality?

It depends on whether or not you can hear it. I have a Macbook Pro 2015 and I would say there's a difference between its DAC and the one in the X7. I think it becomes even more noticeable when you listen to FLAC/ALAC files. I don't think you need to have hi-res music to take advantage of a good DAC.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #329 of 744

It depends on whether or not you can hear it. I have a Macbook Pro 2015 and I would say there's a difference between its DAC and the one in the X7. I think it becomes even more noticeable when you listen to FLAC/ALAC files. I don't think you need to have hi-res music to take advantage of a good DAC.

Thanks for the advise.  If the difference is that significant then maybe ill save up for an X7 but as of now ill enjoy what I have now :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back