FiiO K5 || FiiO's docking desktop amp
Jan 14, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #151 of 744
  The difference between the x3ii and x7 dac is really small right?

You are kidding, right?  CS4398 vs ES9018S is a big difference
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #153 of 744
One of the situations I am trying to address - the shop building where I spend much of my day is not connectable to the internet, and the dusty environment is hell on CD players. Currently there is SiriusXm over there, but it is barely tolerable sound wise. Since I have started downloading hi res audio files which I am playing via CD's which I burn on my PC for the home sound system, I have become aware of how silly it is to be fiddling with CD's when these lossless storage devices are available, so I am just wanting to understand the options for powering these things. For instance will these players take energy from the USB port if plugged directly into a receiver and thus need no separate battery charging? If so, then for what I mainly want to do - run the lossless players through my stereo receivers - there really isn't any pressing need for a dock is there?

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #154 of 744
I'm very curios about Rear Side 'DOCK IN' Port, as the Web Page describe 'Secondary Dock input........exclusive USB cable.....'

I presume that will be 'Micro USB To Micro USB' cable - Where to get such cable ? Is it Fiio Bundle something like that ? Or they plan to make one and introduce later ?

I Think it is very useful if the Dock In can support USB OTG (DAC) function when E17k Dock in on the Top as DAC....  

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #156 of 744
  Is it possible K5 to have <1 Ohm output impedance? TPA6120A2 has around 10 Ohm output resistance as I know.

According to the spec sheet it should be between 10 and 100ohm but it doesn't say it must be. Joe mentioned that FiiO is first manufacturer to get it under 1ohm:

Actually, the K5 has done away with the 10-ohm output impedance of the E9/E09K. I've been told that we're the first manufacturer to successfully stabilize the given op-amp at under 1 ohm OI
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #160 of 744
  I'm very curios about Rear Side 'DOCK IN' Port, as the Web Page describe 'Secondary Dock input........exclusive USB cable.....'

I presume that will be 'Micro USB To Micro USB' cable - Where to get such cable ? Is it Fiio Bundle something like that ? Or they plan to make one and introduce later ?

I Think it is very useful if the Dock In can support USB OTG (DAC) function when E17k Dock in on the Top as DAC....  

No, Dock In will not support regular USB OTG, it's their proprietary 11-pin micro-usb connection, the one used in X-DAPs, and you need a custom cable for that.  I'm not clear on this one as well, but perhaps to future-proof K5 in case if they will release another DAP which not going to fit into the dock opening, you can connect it to K5 with such custom cable?

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #162 of 744
  I wonder what happens if you plug in IEMs?

What do you think is going to happen, George?
wink.gif
  It's no different than replacing a default IEM amp module with a high power one.  Just select a low gain, turn down the volume, and enjoy improved soundstage and more juice to drive your headphones to a fuller potential.  You don't want it with your sensitive or multi-BA driver IEMs, otherwise it should work fine.  Of course, it will be interesting to see how K5 compares to other X7 amp modules when they become available.

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #163 of 744
My Question about K5,

Is it Tested by any members who Got K5 as well DT880 250 ohm headphone able to drive at Full Potential ? I know 880 is just 250ohm and this amp can do 300 - but earlier I read in this forum (Don't remember exact post) that 32ohm version is hard to drive normally though they are made for portable usage.

Some Experienced members also pointed out Senn HD 650 is easy to drive despite it's rating 300 but DT880 /250 is not.

So if anyone got both (DT880/250 and K5), please share your experience here....

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #164 of 744

What do you think is going to happen, George?
wink.gif
  It's no different than replacing a default IEM amp module with a high power one.  Just select a low gain, turn down the volume, and enjoy improved soundstage and more juice to drive your headphones to a fuller potential.  You don't want it with your sensitive or multi-BA driver IEMs, otherwise it should work fine.  Of course, it will be interesting to see how K5 compares to other X7 amp modules when they become available.

Thanks for the answer!

The thing is, that already knowing how other high power Fiio amps sound with IEMs, what I am most concerned about when thinking about K5 is hiss with IEMs.

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #165 of 744
I'd say, use the X7 IEM module or the X1/3/5 directly for IEMs, and the K5 for frying bigger fish? :p Though, I have not tested the K5 myself. Maybe it'll be fine for both?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back