FiiO K5 || FiiO's docking desktop amp
Oct 14, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #66 of 744
So it'll be able to output 1.5W?  Awesome!  What are the other specs?  What will its output-impedance be?  And exactly how will it function as a USB DAC, so it will use the DAC built into the X3ii or X5ii or whatever you plug into it, and the amp inside the dock?

Exactly what amp and op-amp chips and circuitry will it be using?  Is it Class-A?

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #67 of 744
How will the X1 connect and play through the dock? If the X1 can't do USB OTG, how can it do this through the micro USBport? (Apologizes if I've made an error here, I'm not knowledgeable about OTG.)

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #68 of 744
  How will the X1 connect and play through the dock? If the X1 can't do USB OTG, how can it do this through the micro USBport? (Apologizes if I've made an error here, I'm not knowledgeable about OTG.)

That's a good question, given that the X1 is also incapable of functioning as a USB DAC.

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #69 of 744

My best guess is that the Fiio sync port actually has pins that output analogue (except Fiio obviously puts a more convenient 3.5mm line out) specifically just for docking stations. I don't think it will be able to function as a USB DAC though, you just use local storage on the X1.

Oct 16, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #71 of 744

My best guess is that the Fiio sync port actually has pins that output analogue (except Fiio obviously puts a more convenient 3.5mm line out) specifically just for docking stations. I don't think it will be able to function as a USB DAC though, you just use local storage on the X1.

Yes, your guess is correct. When the X1 is docked with the K5, it just works as a DAP, and transfers the line out signal (analogue signal) to the K5 by the dock connector. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #72 of 744
  So it'll be able to output 1.5W?  Awesome!  What are the other specs?  What will its output-impedance be?  And exactly how will it function as a USB DAC, so it will use the DAC built into the X3ii or X5ii or whatever you plug into it, and the amp inside the dock?

Exactly what amp and op-amp chips and circuitry will it be using?  Is it Class-A?

Hi, thanks for paying attention to our new product K5.
Yes, the K5's output power will be more than 1.5W. And the output impedance is less than 1 ohm.  When the X5II or X3II is docked with the K5, and the USB mode is set to DAC in the X5II or X3II, then they will work only as a DAC. Similarly, the line out signal will be tranferred to the K5 by the dock connector. The K5 itself does not have the DAC function.
The amp chip is  TPA6120A, and it is Class-AB.

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #74 of 744
So I need a DAC/amp, an amp alone, and it'd be nice to dock my X1 in this, for low, and in the future, high impedance headphones. It looks like this will fit the bill, am I correct in saying so?

Oct 16, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #75 of 744

Yes, your guess is correct. When the X1 is docked with the K5, it just works as a DAP, and transfers the line out signal (analogue signal) to the K5 by the dock connector. 

The nice thing about all this is that for the minimalists, they can pick an X1 - even if it's slightly larger than the M3 - for use with IEMs on the go, and then when they get home, just dock the same X1 into the K5 to drive whatever large headphone they might have. Really nice 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back